Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

The Greatest American

View Poll Results: Who deserves the title of 'The Greatest American'?
George Washington
36.00%
Ronald Reagan
8.00%
Abraham Lincoln
16.00%
Martin Luther King Jr.
28.00%
Benjamin Franklin
12.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

The Greatest American

Old Jun 20th 2005, 10:29 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Greatest American

lol what about John Holmes

Originally Posted by Pimpbot
Hugh Hefner or Larry Flynt gets my vote with Ron Jeremy in a close 3rd place.
Old Jun 20th 2005, 10:31 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Desi Arnez?

Originally Posted by Boiler
Lucille Ball made the top 100.

What more do you want?
Old Jun 20th 2005, 10:32 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I'm surprised JFK didn't make the top 5...I know he was a bit shite, but he's pretty popular over here...

But anyway, Wacko for number one?
Old Jun 20th 2005, 10:39 pm

Anyone who shagged Marylin Monroe has my vote

(no it wasn't Jacko)

Originally Posted by Bob
I'm surprised JFK didn't make the top 5...I know he was a bit shite, but he's pretty popular over here...

But anyway, Wacko for number one?
Old Jun 20th 2005, 10:57 pm

mdyoung is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
Oprah was in the top 25, but no women in the top 5.
Oprah is in the same category as GWB, current name recognition. No one will give a damn who Oprah was 100 years from now.

Well there are no women, because as much as the PC crowd want to push it, no one woman has really contributed to the building of the United States. Never has been a woman President, all the people that led the revolution and established the country were men. Most if not all the great inventors were men, i.e. Thomas Edison, Bill Gates, Alexander Graham Bell, Henry Ford, etc. Women couldn't even vote until 1920.
Old Jun 20th 2005, 11:07 pm
Account Closed

Dimsie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mdyoung
Women couldn't even vote until 1920.

Exactly !!! Say no more!!!!
Old Jun 20th 2005, 11:09 pm

errrr wasn't Alexender Graham Bell Scottish?

Oprah is in the same category as GWB, current name recognition. No one will give a damn who Oprah was 100 years from now.

Well there are no women, because as much as the PC crowd want to push it, no one woman has really contributed to the building of the United States. Never has been a woman President, all the people that led the revolution and established the country were men. Most if not all the great inventors were men, i.e. Thomas Edison, Bill Gates, Alexander Graham Bell, Henry Ford, etc. Women couldn't even vote until 1920.
Old Jun 20th 2005, 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
errrr wasn't Alexender Graham Bell Scottish?
Alexander Graham Bell was born in 1847 in Edinburgh, Scotland. He moved to Ontario, and then to the United States, settling in Boston, before beginning his career as an inventor.

Don't know what the procedure was for becoming a U.S. citizen back then, but I would assume he became one at some point in his life.
Old Jun 21st 2005, 12:12 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

So, no votes in this poll for Ronnie Raygun yet.
Come on Pigtails, where are you?
Old Jun 21st 2005, 12:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

FDR and MLK.

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
No I'm not taking the piss and no oxymoron remarks either please.

Last night I was watching the program on Discovery about the 'Greatest American' and I wondered out of these five finalists who you would vote for.

FYI: George W. Bush was number 6.
Old Jun 21st 2005, 1:07 am

you have my comprehensive school apology

Alexander Graham Bell was born in 1847 in Edinburgh, Scotland. He moved to Ontario, and then to the United States, settling in Boston, before beginning his career as an inventor.

Don't know what the procedure was for becoming a U.S. citizen back then, but I would assume he became one at some point in his life.
Old Jun 21st 2005, 1:30 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

I guess you haven't heard of the book Founding Mothers, someone had to keep the home fires burning not to mention supporting their men. We didn't contribute to the building of the United States?

There are these women-maybe not Bodicea but still had roles in the fight for independence. I had heard of some of these women, and a quick search found this.

American Women in War and Peace
Women in the Revolutionary War: Deborah Samson, Anne Bailey, and others. .

American Women Spies
Women who spied in the American Revolution, plus women spies in later American wars.

Margaret Cochran Corbin
She fought in the American Revolution alongside her husband, continued fighting when her husband was killed, and was awarded a half-pension for her injuries and service.

Sybil Luddington
A brief description of Sybil Luddington, often called the "female Paul Revere" who helped to rouse Americans to fight the British troops burning Danbury, Connecticut, in April, 1777. Luddington was sixteen years old at the time of her almost-forgotten ride.
Old Jun 21st 2005, 1:33 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dant3
Have to agree. I can't believe his name hasn't come up yet. For all the controversy over his slave owning ways, when you read his ideas concerning the potential of democracy, his belief and passion for what America COULD be, it's incredible stuff. He contributed far more to the idea of what America is than Washington ever did. He's one of the many who are turning in their graves right now.

He was an ardent Francophile.
Old Jun 21st 2005, 1:59 am

Originally Posted by cindyabs

There are these women-maybe not Bodicea but still had roles in the fight for independence. I had heard of some of these women, and a quick search found this.

American Women in War and Peace
Women in the Revolutionary War: Deborah Samson, Anne Bailey, and others. .

American Women Spies
Women who spied in the American Revolution, plus women spies in later American wars.

Margaret Cochran Corbin
She fought in the American Revolution alongside her husband, continued fighting when her husband was killed, and was awarded a half-pension for her injuries and service.

Sybil Luddington
A brief description of Sybil Luddington, often called the "female Paul Revere" who helped to rouse Americans to fight the British troops burning Danbury, Connecticut, in April, 1777. Luddington was sixteen years old at the time of her almost-forgotten ride.
Yeah and Betsy Ross made a flag, big deal. The U.S. would have been no different had none of these women never lived. I do not see one woman's name on the Declaration of Independence and not one woman helped write the Constitution. No matter how much feminist propaganda says otherwise this country was formed and shaped by white European men.
Old Jun 21st 2005, 2:19 am
Sursum corda

Yeah and Betsy Ross made a flag, big deal. The U.S. would have been no different had none of these women never lived. I do not see one woman's name on the Declaration of Independence and not one woman helped write the Constitution. No matter how much feminist propaganda says otherwise this country was formed and shaped by white European men.

I repeat-Founding Mothers by Cokie Roberts-check it out.

Btw, somehow, I don't think that John Adams or George Washington would have agreed with your assessment and dismissing of the role women played during the founding of the USA.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.