Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Great schools in florida

Great schools in florida

Old Aug 30th 2012, 12:22 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Great schools in florida

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
That's sort of true but an awful lot of kids get into our district on permits. Not sure how they swing it. You can get one if a parent works in the district, others just seem to be very pushy parents. The high school is also desperate for football players so there has been an influx of big guys.
Also donating a hefty sum can open doors.
Old Aug 30th 2012, 12:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Also donating a hefty sum can open doors.
That's true, it certainly buys all the drama and dancing parts.
Old Aug 30th 2012, 12:51 am
Account Closed

goldenstate31 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
$1,500 per month for 2 in private schools sounds extremely cheap...it's probably almost double that amount for each child. We paid $25K per year for one child 10 years ago in New Jersey. Around here school fees for children starting school (5/6 yr old) are approx $25/$30K per year.
yes sorry Jerseygirl ive re read my post i meant 1,500 dollars each, not combined
Old Aug 30th 2012, 1:33 am
BE Enthusiast

tuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond repute

Something else to keep in mind, you high school student can dual enroll at the community college. (I think many are called __State now.) I think before their junior year you have to pay for the books.
Old Aug 30th 2012, 2:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wibblypig
a couple of months ago at the orthodontist a child from there was having her teeth checked and she was complaining to the dental nurse that she ONLY got $50 off the tooth fairy for loosing ONE tooth apparently the going rate for her school friends was at least $75 per tooth, $100 if you are good!!
Glad I'm setting my son up now. He knows that the tooth fairy only gives 25c and the ice cream truck is out of ice cream when they play the music.
Old Aug 30th 2012, 7:49 am
Forum Regular

heather123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all your advice
Old Aug 30th 2012, 11:01 am
Forum Regular

tipex will become famous soon enoughtipex will become famous soon enough

there are good schools out here, you just need to do your research.
We found a beautiful apt with a school down the road , shopping and a gym all within walking distance but when we googled the school it was a D rated school, the reviews from parents was shocking and there was no way we were sending my daughter there.
We then did our research the other way round to find a decent school and then a place to live.
There are catchments here the same as the uk but there are also charter schools which are different to public schools which you can put your name down for, they seem to be better rated.When i say different i mean that any child can go to these schools, the catchment seems to be the whole county rather than just your few streets.
i 'm sure someone will correct me if i'm wrong?
Anyway, my wife put my daughters name down on all the charter schools and we knew we would have to wait a few years so we found a school which was decent and found a new place to live, signed the lease, fantastic. we got a phone call a week before we move in to tell us our daughter has a place at one of the charter schools, not my first choice but still a much better school than where we were sending her. It's twice the distance but in the long term i think it is worth it.I was also told there should be a school bus for her.