Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

The great American beer crisis

The great American beer crisis

Old May 9th 2005, 3:26 pm
Illinois Rapscallion

Circus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond repute
Default The great American beer crisis

It would seem that despite the constant advertising beer sales for the major brewers in the USA are falling ...
The great American beer crisis.
By Daniel Gross
Posted Monday, May 2, 2005, at 1:06 PM PT

When the economy is booming, we pound a six-pack of Bud with our buddies and watch the game. When the economy is lousy, we pound a six-pack of Coors with our buddies and watch the game. When the economy is flat, we pound a six-pack of Miller with our buddies and watch the game. This is why companies that make beer—like those that make diapers, electricity, and cereal—have countercyclical stocks. When the economy hits a soft patch, investors take refuge in them.

But now there's a fear in our beer. Last week, two leading beer companies reported disappointing results. Anheuser-Busch, which claims more than half the U.S. beer market, announced it was suffering from falling demand and rising costs. The volume of Bud and Michelob sold in the U.S. fell 2.7 percent from the year-ago quarter. Newly merged cross-border beer powerhouse Molson Coors reported a loss, with net sales in the U.S. down 2 percent, and U.S. operating income off by nearly one-third. The most recent trading statement of Miller, the No. 2 U.S. beer brand now owned by SABMiller, showed marginal growth. In the past two years, according to Gary Hemphill, managing director of Beverage Marketing Corp., beer volume has risen at a meager 0.5 percent annual rate.

Why are brewers crying in their beers? In part, they're facing the same difficulties as other manufacturers. Costs for raw materials and energy are rising, and they're having difficulty passing costs along to consumers. But beer companies are also butting up against some powerful demographic and cultural trends that may flatten sales for years to come.
I was amazed to note that nobody mentioned the real reason that sales are falling ...... the beers made by the major brewers are insepid.

full article ... HERE
Old May 9th 2005, 4:01 pm
Forum Regular

edwords is on a distinguished road
Default Re: The great American beer crisis

Originally Posted by Circus-of-Power
It would seem that despite the constant advertising beer sales for the major brewers in the USA are falling ...

I was amazed to note that nobody mentioned the real reason that sales are falling ...... the beers made by the major brewers are insepid.

full article ... HERE
Why is American beer like making love in a boat?
Old May 9th 2005, 4:04 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by edwords
Uummmmm... uh? Oh, wait. I think I know. Don't tell me, I'm remembering now.... Just a minute!

Old May 9th 2005, 4:13 pm
Forum Regular

HappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to all

Originally Posted by edwords
A: Because it's f***ing close to water
Old May 9th 2005, 5:15 pm
Illinois Rapscallion

Circus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond repute

But surely there is some enjoyment to be had making love in a boat ....
Old May 9th 2005, 7:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

But surely there is some enjoyment to be had making love in a boat ....
Only if its the QE2.
Old May 9th 2005, 7:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't Bud the only American owned major beer in the U.S. now?. How anyone drinks that crap is beyond me.
Old May 9th 2005, 7:49 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pimpbot
Isn't Bud the only American owned major beer in the U.S. now?. How anyone drinks that crap is beyond me.
Maybe so. I believe that Miller is owned by South African Breweries, or some such company.
Old May 9th 2005, 8:22 pm
Just Joined

Feezy has a spectacular aura aboutFeezy has a spectacular aura aboutFeezy has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
Maybe so. I believe that Miller is owned by South African Breweries, or some such company.
Bud Light really IS water. I've never tasted anything so pathetic.
Old May 9th 2005, 8:46 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Feezy
Bud Light really IS water.
you obviously haven't sampled

Natural Ice Light or Busch Light then.
Old May 9th 2005, 8:51 pm
Forum Regular

HappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Manc
you obviously haven't sampled

Natural Ice Light or Busch Light then.
The Jewel in the "Amercian Beers" crown has to be Old Milwaukee. As their marketing buzz says "It doesn't get any better than this"
Old May 9th 2005, 8:52 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Yes, and haven't you just loved all the 'digging' ads that Anhauser has put out since Miller sold out?
Old May 10th 2005, 12:11 am
Illinois Rapscallion

I'm back in dear old Blighty for a period ... and I really do cringe when stood at the bar ( I really have only popped in for a swift half ) and some idiot proudly asks for a "Bottle of Bud" .... WTF!!!!!!!! I have been in plenty of dusty bars in podunk towns where its the only beer to be had .... any port in a storm !!! ....... but when givern the choice surely people have the good sense to realise that Budweiser or any of the beers made by the big brewers is nothing short of coloured water ...
Old May 10th 2005, 2:15 pm
Forum Regular

I'm back in dear old Blighty for a period ... and I really do cringe when stood at the bar ( I really have only popped in for a swift half ) and some idiot proudly asks for a "Bottle of Bud" .... WTF!!!!!!!! I have been in plenty of dusty bars in podunk towns where its the only beer to be had .... any port in a storm !!! ....... but when givern the choice surely people have the good sense to realise that Budweiser or any of the beers made by the big brewers is nothing short of coloured water ...
I wager the individual who bought a bottle of Budwieser was under 21, it may be this poor person probably still hasn't developed a discerning palette for beer. If they were in their late twenties, thirties or older, then there really is no hope; watches too many American comedy imports, say's "cool" every other sentence, (Somehow doesn't sound the same in a British accent). In other words they has probably got some kind of identity crisis. Either that or they are just another victim of the relentless push for globalized Americanization. Pint of Ruddles over here John.
Old May 10th 2005, 2:16 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Miller Brewing Company is owned by The Altria Group, formerly known as Phillip Morris...who also owns RJR Nabisco, Kraft foods, Oscar Mayer, General Foods International (Maxwell House Coffee, Sanka, Gevalia, Yuban), General Mills, Publix Supermarketss, Pilgrams Pride, Starbucks, Calvin Klein, Birds Eye, Dove, Lipton, Cool Whip, Jello, Kool Aid....even you Brit's favorite Vegemite and Cadbury/Schweppes...plus a thousand other brands.

Amazing whas an additive noxious weed can do.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.