Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Grandparents taking kids to UK

Grandparents taking kids to UK

Old Oct 25th 2016, 6:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Grandparents taking kids to UK

I know this has been discussed before but can't seem to utter the right incantation into the search engine. My parents want to come to the US to take my kids from the US to the UK next year, while my wife would go and collect them on her own a couple of weeks later to return to the US. What do I need to do to avoid problems at check-in/immigration since they won't be travelling with both parents in either direction? As far as I can tell a notarised letter stating "We <x> and <y>, parents of <a> and <b>, authorize their travel US->UK->US (etc)". Will that be sufficient in the UK as it would be a US-sourced notarised letter?

Only other thing that seemed partially relevant were a couple of sentences in this thread:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-5...sit-uk-838544/

Thanks.
Old Oct 25th 2016, 6:26 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Grandparents taking kids to UK

Yes...a notorized letter signed by both parents. I would also state the names and relationships of the adults travelling with the children...just to be sure.
Old Oct 25th 2016, 6:29 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I carry the letter with me whenever the little one and I travel by plane. Never have been asked for it but on the last trip we took in September, the agent did make a point to ask her what her name was and how old she was and who I was. Thankfully, she wasn't shy about replying.

Last edited by Rete; Oct 25th 2016 at 6:30 pm. Reason: PS I didn't have any of the letters notarized but included phone numbers of parents
Old Oct 25th 2016, 8:32 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Yes...a notorized letter signed by both parents. I would also state the names and relationships of the adults travelling with the children...just to be sure.
and a means (cell phone number would do) by which the parents can be contacted 24/7. If there are any concerns that is very helpful to whoever is trying to sort it out.
Old Oct 25th 2016, 8:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Ah yes, all good ideas, thanks. Passport info, DOBs too I guess.
Old Oct 25th 2016, 10:37 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter writes a letter such as this:

This letter is to advise that our daughter, V____ N_____, d/o/b, has our permission to travel with her grandmother, R____ W____, on mm/dd/yy to _________ returning to NY on mm/dd/yy.

If you should have any questions or need to contact either of us, please contact on our cells _________ or _______.

Respectfully,

M________ N_________ S_________ N___________
Address Cell #
City, State
Again Cell #

V travels with her birth certificate which clearly shows the names of both her parents.
Old Oct 26th 2016, 12:55 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete

This letter is to advise that our daughter, V____ N_____, d/o/b, has our permission to travel with her grandmother, R____ W____, on mm/dd/yy to _________ returning to NY on mm/dd/yy.

If you should have any questions or need to contact either of us, please contact on our cells _________ or _______.

Respectfully,

Address Cell #
City, State
Again Cell #

V travels with her birth certificate which clearly shows the names of both her parents.
Old Oct 26th 2016, 1:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
My mother used to annually take my son back home, and she always had a notarized letter with her which stated she had my permission to travel with my son, confirming her name and mine, and she carried a copy of my passport as well, and letter had my cell phone. Never had any questions though I think a grandmother would be less likely to be questioned than a grandfather.
Old Oct 26th 2016, 2:07 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete

Respectfully,

Address Cell #
City, State
Again Cell #

For international travel I would include passport numbers of all the named parties.
Old Oct 26th 2016, 6:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Cheers everyone. Inner leg measurements it is then! In seriousness, yes, all good ideas. Better to be safe than sorry.