Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

The Grand Canyon

The Grand Canyon

Old Jun 25th 2005, 1:47 am
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The Grand Canyon

Going to the Grand Canyon for two days on Monday - who's been ? whats to see and do ? bearing in mind we will have a two year old with us.

We are staying in a hotel on the south rim
Old Jun 25th 2005, 2:05 am
Perfumdiva1

Smile Re: The Grand Canyon

Originally Posted by Eskimo
Going to the Grand Canyon for two days on Monday - who's been ? whats to see and do ? bearing in mind we will have a two year old with us.

Be prepared for hours and hours and hours of driving, so pack plenty of Calpol, because a 2 years old will be bored stiff

I know because I did this a few years ago with a 8 and 11 years old, and I was bored stiff...

Good luck, the scenery is absolutely breathtaking at dusk, but it is a bloody long drive

Have a fab time..

PD1

Old Jun 25th 2005, 2:06 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Grand Canyon

...whats to see and do ? ...
Errr....lot of rocks i'd imagine
Old Jun 25th 2005, 2:08 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Perfumdiva1
Be prepared for hours and hours and hours of driving, so pack plenty of Calpol, because a 2 years old will be bored stiff

I know because I did this a few years ago with a 8 and 11 years old, and I was bored stiff...

Good luck, the scenery is absolutely breathtaking at dusk, but it is a bloody long drive

Have a fab time..

PD1
this is were the car DVD comes in
Old Jun 25th 2005, 2:09 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Bob
Errr....lot of rocks i'd imagine
Bob I assume your unemployment is not because you are a tour guide by trade is it ?
Old Jun 25th 2005, 2:12 am
ImHere

Oh Im sorry. I only checked this becuase I thought you were referencing woodsey's cleavage. Never been to the big hole in the ground so cant help you there.

Old Jun 25th 2005, 2:15 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by ImHere
Oh Im sorry. I only checked this becuase I thought you were referencing woodsey's cleavage. Never been to the big hole in the ground so cant help you there.

4 posts to go off topic but my avatar doesn't do them justice and she'd kill if I posted any others
Old Jun 25th 2005, 2:17 am
ImHere

4 posts to go off topic but my avatar doesn't do them justice and she'd kill if I posted any others

You're impressed right? Awww go on...we'll pay you know.

Old Jun 25th 2005, 2:30 am
Perfumdiva1

Thumbs up Re: The Grand Canyon

this is were the car DVD comes in

Yeah I appreciate that, but even after 10 hours of Mickey and Daffey (or whatever is in vogue these days for a 2 year old), it is still a long freekin drive..

Also, check your travel agent booked you into the rim you thought, as ours didnt, and had a 250 mile detour, but have to say, it was the most fantastic views and experience we had on the whole trip, as it was at dusk, so in the end we thanked our travel agent for the boo boo

Again, enjoy, and good luck

PD1

Old Jun 25th 2005, 3:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

Breath taking scenery, thats what you'll get at the Canyon. Oh and tame squirels that will practically eat out of your hands. Of course, thats frowned upon by the powers that be, but makes a good photo. You could hike down into it, but I doubt you'll want to do that with a little nipper.
Old Jun 25th 2005, 3:55 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pimpbot
Breath taking scenery, thats what you'll get at the Canyon. Oh and tame squirels that will practically eat out of your hands. Of course, thats frowned upon by the powers that be, but makes a good photo. You could hike down into it, but I doubt you'll want to do that with a little nipper.
Oh there you go! You've mentioned the "S" word again!

NC Penguin
Old Jun 25th 2005, 5:37 am
BE Enthusiast

BrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond repute

One of the towns beofre you get to the Grand Canyon (sorry don't know the name of it) have an IMAX cinema and they show a fabulous film of the Canyon from the air, the river and such, like you're actually in it. Not actually seen it myself, but my mum saw it there a few weeks back on her visit and she loved it!

There's quite a few shopping areas around the rim where all the touristy bits are... not that that will excite your two year old, but I hope you have a great time.

If you're driving I10 to catch I17 to take you up Flagstaff way ( I don't know any other way and it could be different as your coming from CA..) and then heading to the canyon that way, feel free to pop in for a cuppa...
Old Jun 25th 2005, 5:43 am
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

It's a long drive, I'd split it up if I were you, stop off in Las Vegas, MGM Grand is a good kids hotel however he is a little young for Vegas. Go through Hoover Dam and then on to the Grand Canyon, lots of native American stuff in the surrounding area, you can also do pony treks and white water rafting down through and around the canyon, you would need a few days to do this and difficult with a 2 year old............. are you ever at work??
Old Jun 25th 2005, 8:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Are you really driving from LA to the Grand Canyon for two days?

Anyway, I'd take Tom's advice and break it up. Fly to Vegas and then drive from there, might not be too bad. We went to the Grand Canyon a few years back, absolutely fabulous views. Hotter than hell though....probably had something to do with it being August. Don't feed the damn squirrels, they look all nice and cute, but they're vermin and will take a nasty bite out of you....give you rabies....keep the kidlet away.
Old Jun 25th 2005, 1:21 pm
Position - Offside

Location: Harvest, Alabama from Newport Pagnell, Bucks/Mitcham, Surrey
Lynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond repute

I can't remember there being much for kids to do, but it is a breathtaking view for a hole in the ground. lolol We did the tourist thing, flew into Lost Wages spent a couple of days there then drove to the Hoover Dam, which is interesting even if you are not an engineer, then went on to the Grand Canyon then drove to Phoenix and spent some time there and flew back to Ala from there.

Between Lost Wages and the Hoover Dam is a small place called Boulder City, they have an excellent little diner there that serves the best breakfast I had eaten in years.

Have a great trip and take plenty of film unless you have a video cam or digital camera. Unfortunately a lot of the pic I took of the GC didn't really do it justice.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.