Graduation

Old May 24th 2006, 8:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

geordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to behold
Default Graduation

We've just come back from our 5th graders graduation ceremony OMG :scared: my uni graduation wasn't as big, can't imagine what it will be like when the graduate from college.
There was a formal ceremony, giving out certificates, refreshments, speeches and parents everywhere hugging and congratulating children.
There were gifts being given out all over, balloons, flowers etc, I bought a card just because i thought i should and my hubby grumbled we're becoming too american I can't believe it does it just get bigger as they go through school?
Old May 24th 2006, 8:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Graduation

Originally Posted by geordiegirl2
We've just come back from our 5th graders graduation ceremony OMG :scared: my uni graduation wasn't as big, can't imagine what it will be like when the graduate from college.
There was a formal ceremony, giving out certificates, refreshments, speeches and parents everywhere hugging and congratulating children.
There were gifts being given out all over, balloons, flowers etc, I bought a card just because i thought i should and my hubby grumbled we're becoming too american I can't believe it does it just get bigger as they go through school?
Your post makes me think why can't the kids enjoy being kids instead of being treated like miniature adults?
Old May 24th 2006, 8:08 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Are you kidding??? Of COURSE it does!! Wait until their highschool prom!!
Old May 24th 2006, 8:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

geordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
Are you kidding??? Of COURSE it does!! Wait until their highschool prom!!
Yes I knew the answer, can't wait for high school
Old May 24th 2006, 8:51 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter had her 5th graduation last week. I couldn't believe it either. All the kids got a certificate, but when I looked at my daughter's, all it said was she had completed 5th grade. Big whoop. I can't see the point of a big 'do' to celebrate them completing something we all expect them to do anyway.
I'm especially narked as her end of year report showed that she only got 55% for her end of year Math test. When I asked her for an explanation, she said it was actually a good score, as the teacher had only covered 50% of the Math curriculum for the year! WTF!! So the certificate wasn't even factually correct.

I seriously don't know what to do about schooling these days as it's so shit. My daughters FCAT score (the state standadised test) was at level 4 (above average) out of 5, for reading when she started at this school in 3rd grade. Last year her score went down and she was level 3 (average), now this year her score is even lower and at level 2 (below average)
So for all the nice clean looking rooms and environment at this 'A' grade school, the overall education here stinks. Sorry, rant over.
Old May 24th 2006, 8:53 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

When I lived in the Bahamas, they even had graduation from kindergarten. Ridiculous. I mean, you can't exactly fail kindergarten, can you?

I think all of this BS is part of the stupid idea in the US that everyone has to succeed at everything and if you pursue your dream, anything is possible. I mean, I must have called Pam Anderson a million times and even camped on her front lawn for a month, and she still hasn't proposed to me!

At my university, we allow students to "walk" before they have actually graduated (i.e., before they have completed all of their classes). It's not unusual for someone to subsequently fail their final intrenship or fail their final semester of classes (they do get tougher, after all) and never complete their degree - but they have a picture of them receiving their "diploma". Utter nonsense.
Old May 24th 2006, 9:29 pm
Wind, earth, fire, water

User Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond repute

It's plain nuts, totally overblown ...
Old May 24th 2006, 9:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ladyofthelake
My daughter had her 5th graduation last week. I couldn't believe it either. All the kids got a certificate, but when I looked at my daughter's, all it said was she had completed 5th grade. Big whoop. I can't see the point of a big 'do' to celebrate them completing something we all expect them to do anyway.
I'm especially narked as her end of year report showed that she only got 55% for her end of year Math test. When I asked her for an explanation, she said it was actually a good score, as the teacher had only covered 50% of the Math curriculum for the year! WTF!! So the certificate wasn't even factually correct.

I seriously don't know what to do about schooling these days as it's so shit. My daughters FCAT score (the state standadised test) was at level 4 (above average) out of 5, for reading when she started at this school in 3rd grade. Last year her score went down and she was level 3 (average), now this year her score is even lower and at level 2 (below average)
So for all the nice clean looking rooms and environment at this 'A' grade school, the overall education here stinks. Sorry, rant over.
Is there the equivalent of a school governor? Or the school head? Complain, complain, complain!!!!!
Old May 24th 2006, 9:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ladyofthelake
My daughter had her 5th graduation last week. I couldn't believe it either. All the kids got a certificate, but when I looked at my daughter's, all it said was she had completed 5th grade. : Big whoop. I can't see the point of a big 'do' to celebrate them completing something we all expect them to do anyway.
I'm especially narked as her end of year report showed that she only got 55% for her end of year Math test. : When I asked her for an explanation, she said it was actually a good score, as the teacher had only covered 50% of the Math curriculum for the year! WTF!! : So the certificate wasn't even factually correct.

I know exactly what you mean, my son got a certificate and they'd put his name as Samuel, he's Sam, was registered Sam and Christened when I asked they said they assumed being 'British' it was shortened from the more formal name
As for the education I too am in a quandry, my 7th about to be 8th grader is not acheiving anywhere near what he can and no one gives a toss, because he's a straight 'A' student, he's putting in no effort at all, and another thing, not that i think it will effect his grade, they kept the final math and english tests until this week, they finish school today, what child especially teenagers are focused at this time of year ( rant over )

I find the principal all mouth really, they have a school counciller whose less than useless whenever i talk to her she pulls up his record and says his grades are great, his behaviour fine, and the board of govenors i have no idea about, i'll look into that. thanks.

Last edited by geordiegirl2; May 24th 2006 at 9:52 pm.
Old May 25th 2006, 1:34 am
Ben
BE Enthusiast

Ben has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond repute

Thank goodness we live in a school district that isn't like that. My daughter is moving from middle school to high school this year and we received a note home from the Principal of the Middle School stating NO LIMOUSINES under any circumstances - they will be turned away! No Ball gowns, expensive dresses or tuxedos! They do have 'moving up' ceremonies but I like the idea of them. They give out certificates for great improvements, perfect attendance records for their time in Middle school, and for those students who have been on honor roll for the whole time in middle school etc. They did the same for the year they move from elementary to middle school.

Dunroving, I always thought that was stupid the way that graduation happens before all grades are in and before some have finished taking all their classes to graduate. You are given either a letter telling you that as long as all requirements are in you have graduated, or a blank piece of paper rolled up and tied with a ribbon!
Old May 25th 2006, 5:00 am
medusas peligrosas

mozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
At my university, we allow students to "walk" before they have actually graduated (i.e., before they have completed all of their classes). It's not unusual for someone to subsequently fail their final intrenship or fail their final semester of classes (they do get tougher, after all) and never complete their degree - but they have a picture of them receiving their "diploma". Utter nonsense.

My daughter's last day at school is 31 May. Her actual graduation ceremony is 7 June - that will be the day she wears her cap and gown and receives her high school diploma.

Her prom was last Saturday - she refused to wear the "generic" type of dress that the majority of American girls gravitate towards and opted to do something completely different. Her frock was Oriental inspired, she looked stunning, and was completely comfortable for the entire night. And she is refusing to have any kind of graduation party/celebration, preferring to celebrate her 18th birthday back in England in July with family and friends.

I am counting my blessings!

Old May 25th 2006, 6:21 pm
Mad bugger

peacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond repute

It is OTT but the one thing all the graduation/celebration builds is confidence.
Old May 26th 2006, 2:44 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by peacelover
It is OTT but the one thing all the graduation/celebration builds is confidence.
I don't think the average American needs any extra help in that department.
Old May 26th 2006, 3:01 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

That's an understatement.
Old May 26th 2006, 4:27 am
BE Enthusiast

I think this is where it comes from though, all through school their told their the best, come from the land of the free, greatest place on earth.
After we had been here about a year our youngest came home saying he'd been learning about the constitution and how he had the right to bear arms :scared: ( over my dead body i replied) and the right to frredom of speech(you've always had that I replied it didn't start when you got here)
I think people really believe they are the only country that has that

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.