Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Graduate Surveyor prospects??

Graduate Surveyor prospects??

Old Jan 5th 2012, 2:44 pm
Forum Regular

ols-london is a jewel in the roughols-london is a jewel in the roughols-london is a jewel in the roughols-london is a jewel in the rough
Default Graduate Surveyor prospects??

Hi all!

New member just with a pretty general advice hunt/enquiry!

I'm a recent grad with a BSc in building surveying. I have 2 years experience and a further year of intern experience in various fields of construction. I currently work as a building surveyor doing everything from measuring, diagnosing defects etc to project/construction management.

I was lucky enough at school to go on a music exchange to texas and would love to move there after visiting a number of times.

I am however, prepared to locate anywhere if offered a job but therein lies the problem! i realise the visa position is difficult and wondered if anyone had any suggestions in making myself stand out for jobs etc.

Also would i be better off finding a position over here and trying to transfer instead of writing/emailing and offering to do whatever/wherever to construction companies to get visa sponsorship.

Any advice/opinions would be extremely welcome.

I look forward to your responses.

Ollie
Old Jan 5th 2012, 3:12 pm
Forum Regular

paulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Graduate Surveyor prospects??

your right when you say that the visa position is difficult , even if you could find a company that is willing to sponsor you for an H1 visa, they cannot submit the paperwork till April and you couldnt start till October as the quota for the current H1's is filled , and on the company transfer (L visa) , you would need to have been working for the company for 12months , so as you can see, there are no options for the very immediate future , but still worth exploring in the mean time to see if you can find anything but wouldnt hold out your hopes for anything happening quickly
Old Jan 5th 2012, 3:14 pm
Forum Regular

ols-london is a jewel in the roughols-london is a jewel in the roughols-london is a jewel in the roughols-london is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for your response. I realise I have to work for a year for transfer. I had forgotten about the time frames with april - oct etc. thanks for reminding me.

I'm going to stay with friends in colorado in may so i'll have to try and find a wife!
Old Jan 5th 2012, 9:55 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Unless you've got niche skills or a lot of experience, realistically you've got sod all chances for a while yet, unless you can blag a internship on the J1.

L1 transfer is the best bet, but would a UK skill set transfer? Would the qualifications mean anything over here?

Things to research...good luck and welcome to BE
Old Jan 8th 2012, 8:03 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks guys. this website is fantastic its really helped me to plan and even learn about prospects!

I'll keep looking and keep you guys posted.