Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Which grades at school?

Which grades at school?

Old Jun 9th 2010, 7:23 am
BE Enthusiast

joeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud of
Default Which grades at school?

Hi
Need some advice re:schools.
We are hoping to move to Berryville, Virginia in September this year.
My daughter is 11 (turns 12 in March) and my son is 9 (10 in December).
Which school grade will they be in if they start school more or less as soon as we get there?

Also, what age do children leave middle school to go to High school?

Thanks

Jo
Old Jun 9th 2010, 7:26 am
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which grades at school?

It varies, but a good rule of thumb is subtract five.
My son is 9, and will be going into fourth grade after the summer holidays.
Old Jun 9th 2010, 10:24 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

It will vary by the state as some schools have cutoff dates of September 1 and others go all the way to December 1 or January (though these are not as common).

These articles might help:

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/What_d...kids_in_school

http://www.free-for-kids.com/uk-us-e...-systems.shtml
Old Jun 9th 2010, 9:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

joeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud of

Thank you both for your helpful replies.
The links are great.

Jo
Old Jun 10th 2010, 1:04 am
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

When we arrived here in Texas in June 2008 my son was 9 - he started school in August in 4th Grade and was 10 in October. This kept him in with the correct age group.
Old Jun 10th 2010, 2:17 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

bear in mind that americans ROUTINELY keep their kids back a year when starting Kindergarten if they think the child is too immature/shy/unconfident etc at 5. So in any one Kindergarten class you can find kids who are JUST 5 and kids who are ALMOST 7 and anywhere in between. Therefore it follows there are a broad age range of kids in every grade at school.

So when you chose the grade for you child - take the schools guidance but factor in whether your child is confident and happy in challenging situations (ie new school/system/teacher/classmates/country/home etc) - or less confident and nervous in challenging situations and consider moving up/down one grade to get a good fit. The kid will be behind in some stuff (ie american history) and ahead in others. If you can judge how well they will deal with that academically and socially you can adjust the grade a bit to make it a better fit for them. keeping them back to make an easier move wont be seen as a problem as there will likely be 'older' kids already in that class for the above reason.

Also bear in mind the switches to different schools - ie grade 6 is the start of middle school so an unconfident child might do better starting off in grade 5 at an elementary school so they can find their feet/acclimatise to the new system before being put in the more challenging environment of middle school.

Last thing to consider is: how long are you planning to be in the US? If you are planning a fixed time - then make sure the grade the kid will approx leave the US will fit in with the year they would return to in the UK with minimal hassle.

Last edited by MsElui; Jun 10th 2010 at 2:20 am.
Old Jun 10th 2010, 6:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MsElui
bear in mind that americans ROUTINELY keep their kids back a year when starting Kindergarten if they think the child is too immature/shy/unconfident etc at 5. So in any one Kindergarten class you can find kids who are JUST 5 and kids who are ALMOST 7 and anywhere in between. Therefore it follows there are a broad age range of kids in every grade at school.

So when you chose the grade for you child - take the schools guidance but factor in whether your child is confident and happy in challenging situations (ie new school/system/teacher/classmates/country/home etc) - or less confident and nervous in challenging situations and consider moving up/down one grade to get a good fit. The kid will be behind in some stuff (ie american history) and ahead in others. If you can judge how well they will deal with that academically and socially you can adjust the grade a bit to make it a better fit for them. keeping them back to make an easier move wont be seen as a problem as there will likely be 'older' kids already in that class for the above reason.

Also bear in mind the switches to different schools - ie grade 6 is the start of middle school so an unconfident child might do better starting off in grade 5 at an elementary school so they can find their feet/acclimatise to the new system before being put in the more challenging environment of middle school.

Last thing to consider is: how long are you planning to be in the US? If you are planning a fixed time - then make sure the grade the kid will approx leave the US will fit in with the year they would return to in the UK with minimal hassle.
Thanks for that. Great Info.
My daughter is quite shy but then very bright academically so it might be an idea to see how she goes and adjust grade accordingly. Whereas my son has enough confidence for all of us!!

Thanks again

Jo
Old Jun 11th 2010, 2:51 am
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joeyb
Thanks for that. Great Info.
My daughter is quite shy but then very bright academically so it might be an idea to see how she goes and adjust grade accordingly. Whereas my son has enough confidence for all of us!!
My daughter was very bright, but it still worked out really well to have her go into 1st grade having just completed Year 1 in the UK. She was young for her year, and not particularly socially advanced. The teachers differentiated the work so that she was never bored, and it gave her an extra year to catch up on all the stuff that's different about being in a new country.
Old Jun 11th 2010, 4:11 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

see also the recent post by Budleigh about his kids experiences starting in the US this spring.
Old Jun 11th 2010, 7:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Just read the post by Budleigh and the whole thread is very informative.

Its a massive move we are making and I feel more confident now about the kids' schooling as that was a major concern of mine.

Thanks
Old Jun 12th 2010, 5:08 am
Just Joined

Bookem will become famous soon enough

My wife who is an American told me that to get the grade just deduct 5 from the childs age. A 6 year old would be 1st grade, a 9 year old would be in the 3rd grade.
Old Jun 12th 2010, 9:54 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

This is a really good thread about moving up / down a grade at the younger ages. http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=643985

You'll find emotional and physical development at the younger ages are as important (if not more so) than academic development in the first few years, and some folks who have gone up a year have regretted it later (and vice versa). Worth a read through in total.
Old Jun 13th 2010, 4:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute

We moved over here in February with 3 kids. We are in the state of Connecticut so I don't know if this is different from any other state. The oldest is nearly 17, the middle one is 12 and will be 13 in August and the little one is 10 and will be 11 tomorrow. When we visited the schools, they set them a test and decided where they should be in consultation with myself.

Our middle one was placed in 7th grade with children her own age and has settled in well and her grades have certainly not gone down from back home. If anything, she's improved and I think that is because they could have placed her in 8th grade, where I think she would have struggled to try to fit in, and keep up with all the new work. Instead, she's been given a bit of a breathing space because she had already done some of the work back home.

Same goes for my youngest. She was placed in 5th grade with kids her own age and is doing really well. In fact, she's surprised me, how well she's settled in.

My oldest is a different story. After a long discussion with the school, and their inability to work out where she should be placed in High School, the sent all her education certificates to the school board which took forever. In the end, they decided that she didn't have to go to High School as her education from Scotland meant that she had the equivalent of a High School Diploma. We are now in a dilemna. Do we send her to High School to get more credits here, or does she go straight to College. Something for us to decide with her over the summer.

As a guideline, elementary goes up to the end of 5th grade. Middle school is grades 6 to 8 and High School is grades 9 through 12.

Don't know if any of the above helps you. Good luck.
Old Jun 14th 2010, 10:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Another thing to be aware of is that it's quite common for parents to delay the start of their children's education by a year - especially boys. Hence you end up with classes that have children ranging in age over about 18 months.

Another reason not to push your child up a grade if it means they will be the youngest, but instead to keep them somewhat with their age group.

I have been really impressed with the education system here so far.
Old Jun 14th 2010, 11:16 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

Originally Posted by kins
I have been really impressed with the education system here so far.
me too. I could not believe the elementary school has enough electronic keyboards (and they are big decent ones) for each child in the class and all 4th graders are offered the chance to learn something in the strings range.

when i was at school a select few got the chance at one instrument at secondary level (maybe 10% of kids if that) and the choice was VERY limited. Otherwise the music access was the recorder

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.