Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Got K-1 Visa, even with a bomb scare!

Got K-1 Visa, even with a bomb scare!

Old Jun 18th 2002, 8:29 am
Forum Regular

punksk8r79 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Got K-1 Visa, even with a bomb scare!

Hi, i got my K-1 visa yesterday at the London Embassy, it was good day although half way through the day the embassy and all the roads around it were blocked off by armed police. I had just had my interview and was told to come back at 1 and just after i walked out the door it was suddenly blocked off. It reopened a couple of hours later and i got my visa around 2:30. Heres a brief outline of how my day went.

Arrived at the Doctors office around 7:40 there was 3 people there already (one since 7am!!) by the time 8am came around there was about 15 people. We all went into the waiting room, and were given a pink folder which we had to put our medical questionaire, passport and photo (and any medical records if you have them) into the folder and hand it into reception, then after a while your name is called and you pay £125, i went downstairs for my blood test, then i had my x-ray and a quick check by the doctor. She decided i needed the MMR and Td vaccinations, they cost £55, that was the quickest £55 ive ever spent, since it only took the nurse 5 seconds to give me both jabs!! So now it was time to head down to the embassy, i think it was about 9:45am now. Its not far to the embassy i think about 10 minutes. Arrived to the friendly sight of armed gaurds and a big steel fence, showed them my appointment letter and walked round to the door, once in the door i showed my letter to the security gaurd, gave him my mobile phone and put my bag through the metal detector. I went up the stairs to the right, when you go in you have to give your appointment letter to someone at the desk, then sit down, a little later they call you up and you have to hand them all the paperwork, then again you have to sit down, after another wait you are called up for your interview, and i use the word interview very loosely, all i was asked was 2 questions, how did you meet your fiancee and who went to see who first. I then signed a form and was told he was approving my visa pending the results of the medical and to come back at 1. (this was around 11:30). So off i went to get some lunch (with a couple of other people i had met that day) thats when the bomb scare happened so after sitting at a cafe for a few hours we were allowed back in around 2pm. I sat down upstairs and then they called my name out and i collected my visa, that was it, day done, The embassy was very friendly and made it an easy day ( not like anglia railways that delayed my train for a few hours, meaning i didnt get home til after midnight!!) Although you probably will be nervous going for your interview, there really is nothing to be nervous about. My fiance also enjoyed being called at 5am to be told that i had been approved pending the medical lol.
Good luck to everyone else, im off to Virginia next Tuesday.
Dave
Old Jun 18th 2002, 8:46 am
Forum Regular

jcsutton has a brilliant futurejcsutton has a brilliant futurejcsutton has a brilliant futurejcsutton has a brilliant futurejcsutton has a brilliant futurejcsutton has a brilliant future
Default Re: Got K-1 Visa, even with a bomb scare!

Congrats Dave, just got word that our South African DCF I-130 was approved today. A good week for procuring visas I'd say....Good luck...Jerry and Paula
Old Jun 18th 2002, 9:28 am
BE Forum Addict

rogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud of

Congratulations to you both, good to read Dave's experience,
sort of makes things sound a lot easier than 99% of us expect,
although I'll still take lots of loo paper to the interview.

Dave, I've sent you a direct email, as I'll be moving to Virginia
(Fredericksburg) as well, once I'm "visa'd"

Good luck to you both

Roger (+ Ida)
Old Jun 18th 2002, 9:20 pm
Jacque Robertso

congratulations!! Thank you for posting your experience, I find it somewhat a
comfort, as Im dreading my interview on July 15th. Hopefully Im worrying over
nothing! Kindest regards Jacqueline