Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Google Earth

Google Earth

Old Dec 22nd 2005, 6:55 am
Forum Regular

jamjar has much to be proud ofjamjar has much to be proud ofjamjar has much to be proud ofjamjar has much to be proud ofjamjar has much to be proud ofjamjar has much to be proud ofjamjar has much to be proud ofjamjar has much to be proud ofjamjar has much to be proud ofjamjar has much to be proud ofjamjar has much to be proud of
Default Google Earth

Has anyone else checked this out? (www.googlearth.com) I just downloaded it this evening. It's pretty cool and a wee bit scary in a Big Brother sort of way.
I checked out the Reebok stadium and you could get in so close you could see the markings on the pitch! Quality seems to vary a lot though. Could get close enough to my parent's house to see a car in the driveway but yet when I tried to view Stonehenge it was just a blur.
Old Dec 22nd 2005, 11:07 am
BE Forum Addict

mandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Google Earth

Originally Posted by jamjar
Has anyone else checked this out? (www.googlearth.com) I just downloaded it this evening. It's pretty cool and a wee bit scary in a Big Brother sort of way.
I checked out the Reebok stadium and you could get in so close you could see the markings on the pitch! Quality seems to vary a lot though. Could get close enough to my parent's house to see a car in the driveway but yet when I tried to view Stonehenge it was just a blur.
Yes it was mentioned in another thread. About 6 months ago parts of NW England were also a blur but are clear now.

I looked at my old house in Stockport and there was my car which I sold 5 years ago sitting on the driveway. My 2.5 yr old house here in NJ is not on but you can see the plot marked.
Old Dec 22nd 2005, 12:40 pm
Forum Regular

Haldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to all

[QUOTE=jamjar]Has anyone else checked this out? (www.googlearth.com) I just downloaded it this evening. It's pretty cool and a wee bit scary in a Big Brother sort of way.

Interesting that Area 51 is not viewable, check it out.
Is it a force field? Lol.
Old Dec 22nd 2005, 12:43 pm
strangely floppy..

CarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Haldaman]

Interesting that Area 51 is not viewable, check it out.
Is it a force field? Lol.
It is a brilliant site - check out the Pyramids at Giza, and the Hoover dam.. really amazing stuff..
Old Dec 22nd 2005, 1:02 pm
Captain Caaaaaaveeemaaaan

TN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really nice

It's great fun to play with though - try some of the cities like chicago and click on buildings and then tilt the 3d perspective..... I spent hours playing with it and finding places we've been to and want to go to. Most of the images are online anyway, it's just that google put them all together properly
Old Dec 22nd 2005, 1:25 pm

Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TN-Dave
It's great fun to play with though - try some of the cities like chicago and click on buildings and then tilt the 3d perspective..... I spent hours playing with it and finding places we've been to and want to go to. Most of the images are online anyway, it's just that google put them all together properly
India is all pissed off about it because all their military installations are shown, despite a long standing ban on aerial photography of strategically important stuff in the country.
Thats just the downside of GIS. It just puts together a lot of imformation which may have been already available and makes it easier to access, kinda like the internet did.