Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Goodbye USA!

Wikiposts

Goodbye USA!

Old Jun 25th 2007, 7:51 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Goodbye USA!

Originally Posted by Partystar
Not sure what you mean by hand in his passport. Or about paying child support. Devin is willing to pay child support & he's fine with Tyler moving back to England with me.
I'm concerned about what will happen once Devin sees a lawyer and tells his family. I've seen too many of these cases where things start out okay and then get worse. IF Tyler is considered to be domiciled in Arizona when the divorce begins, it is very possible he won't be able to leave until the case is resolved.
Old Jun 25th 2007, 7:53 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear your news, Liz.

I have to say it does not come as a surprise to me. Reading through the lines of many of your posts, it seemed clear to me that something wasn't quite right. And there's probably more to it than him not wanting to live in the UK, so you'll be better off making the break now rather than having the situation drag on for years.

I'm glad you are so positive and independent - you'll survive!!
Old Jun 25th 2007, 7:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy Re: Goodbye USA!

Hi There,

So sorry to see the way things have turned out for you. I sincerely hope that things get better for you, once your move is completed.

My Best Wishes are with you!

Jim.
Old Jun 25th 2007, 7:54 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
I'm concerned about what will happen once Devin sees a lawyer and tells his family. I've seen too many of these cases where things start out okay and then get worse. IF Tyler is considered to be domiciled in Arizona when the divorce begins, it is very possible he won't be able to leave until the case is resolved.
I agree. She should see a divorce lawyer without delay.
Old Jun 25th 2007, 7:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Sophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond repute

I'm SO sorry things have turned out this way for you,divorce is not fun...especially when children are involved,I really hope things work out well for you and hopefully you and your husband can stay 'amiable',it'll make things much easier for your son,as well as the both of you.....but don't hold your breath.....wishing you the very best of luck......Sophia
Old Jun 25th 2007, 8:04 am
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
He told his family before he told me! Plus, he's already seen a lawyer, actually he is there right now, handing in the paperwork & the money!!!
Old Jun 25th 2007, 8:06 am
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Sorry to hear your news, Liz.

I have to say it does not come as a surprise to me. Reading through the lines of many of your posts, it seemed clear to me that something wasn't quite right. And there's probably more to it than him not wanting to live in the UK, so you'll be better off making the break now rather than having the situation drag on for years.

I'm glad you are so positive and independent - you'll survive!!
Yeah, I always told him that if he had no intention of moving back to England with us, then to say, because we'd go without him. (I think I may have posted about that before) He's the only reason we moved here in the first place, so it makes sense.
Old Jun 25th 2007, 8:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Adnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond repute

He told his family before he told me! Plus, he's already seen a lawyer, actually he is there right now, handing in the paperwork & the money!!!
You need your own lawyer and pretty quickly too. Better safe than sorry. I've seen divorces here amongst US friends that started out okay and then degenerated through the process. having said that have you considered divorce mediation?

As I understand it they're like lawyers but a damn site cheaper and neither party has to place blame etc etc. The process is a lot quicker and cheaper than lawyers who want to fight and drag out the process to get their fees. I have a US couple as friends who have two children and rather than using lawyers they went through divorce mediation and the whole thing was done and dusted amiably in about 3 to 4 months. Worth a thought, check your local yellow pages for local mediation firms. Good luck,
Old Jun 25th 2007, 8:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers Vic! Guess I'll be seeing you sooner than I thought. I'd love to meet up with you once you're back over there & settled in, our boys would probably get on well too!
Oh we will my friend dont loose touch OK.
Old Jun 25th 2007, 8:12 am
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, what a lot to deal with, I hope things work out really well for you back in the UK.

Keep your chin up girl!!
Old Jun 25th 2007, 8:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I always told him that if he had no intention of moving back to England with us, then to say, because we'd go without him. (I think I may have posted about that before) He's the only reason we moved here in the first place, so it makes sense.
But the fact that he told you he wanted to wait a few years until he was more settled in his job must mean he didn't want you to go as well. Sorry to be the Debbie Downer in this thread. I sincerely wish you the best PartyStar, what a shame you two still love each other and can't figure out the geography. Take care and best of luck.
Old Jun 25th 2007, 8:28 am
Back where I belong!

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
But the fact that he told you he wanted to wait a few years until he was more settled in his job must mean he didn't want you to go as well. Sorry to be the Debbie Downer in this thread. I sincerely wish you the best PartyStar, what a shame you two still love each other and can't figure out the geography. Take care and best of luck.
No, not until he was more settled in his job, but to have the job on his resume. Which makes complete sense, as that's why I stayed in my first job!!! I hated my boss, but I wanted to get a few years in, so that it looked good on my resume!

Cheers mate!
Old Jun 25th 2007, 8:28 am
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear your shitty news that really blows
Old Jun 25th 2007, 8:29 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Ouch....sorry to hear the news, does suck, but wish you well in the new chapter chuck....but what about citizenship for future?
Old Jun 25th 2007, 8:34 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Well a lot of you 'regulars' know my story...
Good luck! Not a surprise for me, I'm afraid. It's been on the cards a good while. Think your couple of weeks timetable should probably be a couple of months or so, though. In AZ, you have mandatory counseling to go through because of the sprog -- and you need to sort out the family court fully before you leave! This is assuming no side gets cold feet and delays -- then the time will increase considerably. Anyway, chin up! You're strong and will prevail.

D.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.