Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Good secondhand car/truck under $5000?

Wikiposts

Good secondhand car/truck under $5000?

Old Nov 25th 2006, 12:01 pm
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Good secondhand car/truck under $5000?

Originally Posted by Dogbyte
You mentioned International Autosource,have you used them or know anyone who has.Any recommendations or negatives would be appreciated. TA
We used them and I believe quite a few on here have. We had no problems and recommend them.
Old Nov 25th 2006, 1:03 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ScottMc
Thanks, where in Brum are you from Lionheart, not too far here - at least at the moment - Tipton :scared:
I was born in Sparkbrook, raised and grew up in Sparkhill and the lived in Kings Heath for about 4 years prior to moving to the States.
I consider myself a Sparkhill lad since that's the area I know best and went to school.
Old Nov 25th 2006, 1:10 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
Probably get a decent Toyota Camry for just under $6K if you are lucky, will be late 90's and might have higher miles, but they are supposed to run forever.
It'll stink of curry though
Old Nov 25th 2006, 1:12 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
It'll stink of curry though
Can I ask why?
Old Nov 25th 2006, 1:12 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ScottMc
Thanks for the pointer there - also been having a look at craigslist for this as well as other bits. Any craiglist experience? I guess it's no better or worse than the paper?

I sometimes see some really good bargains there - too good to be true? Or just taking advantage of someone else's misfortune?
Have only used it for sports tickets.
Obviously that would be a private sale if you took that option. When I was looking I preferred using a dealership as I felt I had more comeback there. On the otherhand if you know more about cars than me (wouldn't be difficult) I wouldn't put you off Craigslist (pronounced cregs list over here by the way).

If you have any other chicago questions pm me.
Old Nov 25th 2006, 1:13 pm
Thinking about it

Can I ask why?
The camry is a traditional indian form of transport, at least it is round here - is it not the same out by you ??
Old Nov 25th 2006, 1:15 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
The camry is a traditional indian form of transport, at least it is round here - is it not the same out by you ??
I have no idea, but that just furthers the arguement for a Camry as they are pretty shrewd business people.............. I presume it's okay to say that on here
Old Nov 25th 2006, 1:21 pm
Banned

Having thought about it, you might want to make sure that Camry has leather not cloth seats if someone has been farting curry into it for 70 or 80 thousand miles
Old Nov 25th 2006, 1:21 pm
Thinking about it

I have no idea, but that just furthers the arguement for a Camry as they are pretty shrewd business people.............. I presume it's okay to say that on here
They drive them into the ground up here - it is hard to find a used one with less than 150k on it.
I know at least 11 folks who drive camrys and have seen a lot more - its bizarre.
For the same reason its hard to get a decent price on a second hand civic in this neck of the woods - same reason I guess - extremely reliable, economical cars.
Old Nov 26th 2006, 4:48 am
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally
We used them and I believe quite a few on here have. We had no problems and recommend them.
We used them also and they were OK.
Biggest gripes.....we bought two cars from them ,different makes. International autosource decided where they would deliver the cars to, without asking where might be most convenient for us. They had our cars delivered to different dealerships right across the city from where we live and as we didn't know anyone who could drive us and public transport is virtually non existent, that caused a problem.
What made that especially annoying was that we have a Jeep and Chevy dealer, each within a mile of our house. We asked International Auto if they could get them delivered to those dealers and they they were very unhelpful.

The other thing was they led us to believe that we would only get insurance with AIG if we bought the cars with them (Int. Auto) I don't think that was strictly true from a conversation I had with AIG but it was too late then.

They are only minor gripes though. They set up financing for us which would have been difficult on our own and the process of buying was very smooth which was good for us as we had so much else going on.
Old Nov 26th 2006, 9:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Dogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jumping doris
We used them also and they were OK.
Biggest gripes.....we bought two cars from them ,different makes. International autosource decided where they would deliver the cars to, without asking where might be most convenient for us. They had our cars delivered to different dealerships right across the city from where we live and as we didn't know anyone who could drive us and public transport is virtually non existent, that caused a problem.
What made that especially annoying was that we have a Jeep and Chevy dealer, each within a mile of our house. We asked International Auto if they could get them delivered to those dealers and they they were very unhelpful.

The other thing was they led us to believe that we would only get insurance with AIG if we bought the cars with them (Int. Auto) I don't think that was strictly true from a conversation I had with AIG but it was too late then.

They are only minor gripes though. They set up financing for us which would have been difficult on our own and the process of buying was very smooth which was good for us as we had so much else going on.
Thanks for that,were the prices for the insurance and the actual cars reasonable compared with those prices, if doing them over in the US.
Old Nov 26th 2006, 11:18 am
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dogbyte
Thanks for that,were the prices for the insurance and the actual cars reasonable compared with those prices, if doing them over in the US.
Our insurance with AIG is about$850 per year for two cars. Our relocation company put us on to AIG expat dept and implied that the insurance depended on us using Int. Auto a fact that Int Auto didn't dispute.

We paid factory prices for our cars with I think a bit extra taken off. When we arrived here in the Oct of 2005 there were lots of ads on the TV for local car dealerships offering our cars for about the same price as we paid. However we wouldn't have got financing easily, if at all.
Having Int. Auto arrange financing was very helpful as during our moving period we had occasional cash flow problems.
Old Nov 26th 2006, 3:19 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
True, I still had a few dodgy moments in my 2 wheel drive truck with nothing in the bed, 5.9 litres, 2 wheel drive and ice don't mix well. With hindsight a 4x4 would have been better.
not necessarily....just sand bang the sod
Old Nov 26th 2006, 3:23 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Probably get a decent Toyota Camry for just under $6K if you are lucky, will be late 90's and might have higher miles, but they are supposed to run forever.
I don't have a clue about Illinois, but Maine, you could pick up a decent 6 year old Saab 9000 with 90K on the clock for less than that....expensive to repair though, but they don't break often, and in maine, and out here in MA, pretty cheap to insure.
Old Nov 26th 2006, 3:30 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
I don't have a clue about Illinois, but Maine, you could pick up a decent 6 year old Saab 9000 with 90K on the clock for less than that....expensive to repair though, but they don't break often, and in maine, and out here in MA, pretty cheap to insure.
BOB ..nobody but nobody wants a Saab .. your stuck with one ..
stop trying to set up other people ..its not nice ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.