Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Good Evening...

Good Evening...

Old May 24th 2006, 6:47 pm
Just Joined

Young Tom is just really niceYoung Tom is just really niceYoung Tom is just really niceYoung Tom is just really niceYoung Tom is just really niceYoung Tom is just really niceYoung Tom is just really niceYoung Tom is just really nice
Lightbulb Good Evening...

Hello.

I'd like to introduce myself to you all, seeing as I've been taking advantage of the info on this website.

I'm 22, living in England and have recently finished some studying with the Open University. When I was 16, I didn't know what I wanted to do with my life and 6 years on, I still don't. I'm still looking for that "thing" that fires a passion within me.

I'm looking at the Camp America scheme for next year (2007), as it's too late for this year, and I've only really just realised that spending more time in America is something I'd really love to do.

I stayed with relatives in Glendale, AZ. last summer, and throughly enjoyed it. So now I'd like to chat to you fine people about what it's like to live there, as an ordinary holiday can't give you the same experience as working+living in a foreign country.

Whilst I'm not currently in a position to emmigrate, it is something that fascinates me. I'll look forward to chatting to you all, regardless of which side of the Atlantic you are on.

And judging by some of the posts, laughing like a villiage idiot, played by Sid James in a Carry On film.

Cheers.
Old May 24th 2006, 7:18 pm
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Good Evening...

Originally Posted by Young Tom
Hello.

I'd like to introduce myself to you all, seeing as I've been taking advantage of the info on this website.

I'm 22, living in England and have recently finished some studying with the Open University. When I was 16, I didn't know what I wanted to do with my life and 6 years on, I still don't. I'm still looking for that "thing" that fires a passion within me.

I'm looking at the Camp America scheme for next year (2007), as it's too late for this year, and I've only really just realised that spending more time in America is something I'd really love to do.

I stayed with relatives in Glendale, AZ. last summer, and throughly enjoyed it. So now I'd like to chat to you fine people about what it's like to live there, as an ordinary holiday can't give you the same experience as working+living in a foreign country.

Whilst I'm not currently in a position to emmigrate, it is something that fascinates me. I'll look forward to chatting to you all, regardless of which side of the Atlantic you are on.

And judging by some of the posts, laughing like a villiage idiot, played by Sid James in a Carry On film.

Cheers.

Hi and welcome to the site.
So, you've experienced Az and lived through the heat, that's good! Where would the 'Camp America' scheme take you ? Is moving to the states something that you would like to do if you were able or are you just curious about life over here?
Anyway, enough questions, welcome again.
Old May 24th 2006, 7:46 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Hello.

Cheers.
Hi Tom, I'm Liz & I'm 24 years old. I lived in Glendale, AZ up until a month ago, when I moved to El Mirage (just down the road). I don't like it here & can't wait to move back to England. I love coming on holiday to the States, but living here is a completely different ball game. I am looking forward to moving back to England, where I belong. Good luck with the camp of America thing, I'm sure you'll have a great time. Where are you from in the UK?
Old May 24th 2006, 8:11 pm
2007 pred.league robbery

lee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blaze
So, you've experienced Az and lived through the heat, that's good! Where would the 'Camp America' scheme take you ? Is moving to the states something that you would like to do if you were able or are you just curious about life over here?
A Bon Jovi avatar? Really?
Old May 24th 2006, 8:21 pm
Just Joined

Young Tom is just really niceYoung Tom is just really niceYoung Tom is just really niceYoung Tom is just really niceYoung Tom is just really niceYoung Tom is just really niceYoung Tom is just really niceYoung Tom is just really nice

Originally Posted by blaze
From the info I've gathered so far, it could be anyone of roughly 8000 camps dotted throughout the states, so there's something for everyone. My mental picture of a camp centers around a lake, expansive Forest, cool-ish climate, log cabins etc. Maybe somewhere in one of the North-West states, Oregon?

As for the subject of long-term living and working in America...,I would really like to do that, but for so long now I've had trouble trying to figure out what I want from life. I like America, period, So I'm looking at the Camp America as a good chance to see if the long term reality of living and working there is as good as the dream. As far as I know, the minimum period of commitment is 9 weeks. I would be happy to work for longer, plus you can stay in the country for another 10 week after the contract ends. (This info is from the website, I have yet to enter into application and interview process)

This should be a more comprehensive insight than a fortnight in a very hot part of the States (although I didn't mind the heat one bit).

Regarding all that, I would be very interested to listen to people who are at various stages of the moving process; those who have moved, recently or years ago; those who are currently moving and those who would like to go and are able to.

Basically, you lot all have much more experience than me; experience that I value.

Hope that sheds a bit more light on me.
Old May 24th 2006, 8:29 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

As for the subject of long-term living and working in America...,I would really like to do that, but for so long now I've had trouble trying to figure out what I want from life. I like America, period, So I'm looking at the Camp America as a good chance to see if the long term reality of living and working there is as good as the dream. As far as I know, the minimum period of commitment is 9 weeks. I would be happy to work for longer, plus you can stay in the country for another 10 week after the contract ends. (This info is from the website, I have yet to enter into application and interview process)
Well, you've certainly got the lingo down!!!
Old May 24th 2006, 8:32 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Partystar
Hi Tom, I'm Liz & I'm 24 years old. I lived in Glendale, AZ up until a month ago, when I moved to El Mirage (just down the road). I don't like it here & can't wait to move back to England. I love coming on holiday to the States, but living here is a completely different ball game. I am looking forward to moving back to England, where I belong. Good luck with the camp of America thing, I'm sure you'll have a great time. Where are you from in the UK?
That's funny, my younger sister is called Liz. A distant cousin of mine married an American and has been living there for 7-8 yrs now. They have just had their second child. She's from Tamworth, and whilst Glendale will never give her the feeling that her Home will, she seems to like it. She's a Kindergarten teacher. He is some kind of advert designer.

AS for me, I was born in Margate, Kent. Then I moved to Kendal and the lakes, then down to Surrey (nr. Woking), now living in Lincoln, Lincolnshire.

My dad's career is with Customs, and has been the reason for all the relocating.

May I ask what you have/haven't enjoyed about living in America, and where (roughly) you plan to move back to in England?
Old May 24th 2006, 8:37 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Partystar
Well, you've certainly got the lingo down!!!
Typing's easy, it's the speech that gets me. I've never met SO many LOUD young girls.

In my humble experience: Petite American girl = Vocal volume of Fog Horn proportions. :scared:
Old May 24th 2006, 8:45 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Typing's easy, it's the speech that gets me. I've never met SO many LOUD young girls.

In my humble experience: Petite American girl = Vocal volume of Fog Horn proportions. :scared:
ROFLMAO! True, true.

May I ask what you have/haven't enjoyed about living in America, and where (roughly) you plan to move back to in England?
How many hrs do you have to wait for her to finish typing and then for you to get done reading? LOL
Old May 24th 2006, 8:49 pm
Just Joined

How many hrs do you have to wait for her to finish typing and then for you to get done reading? LOL [/QUOTE]

Hahaha, ahem.

Oh dear, is it THAT bad? I could feasibly set aside 10-12hrs per week, mostly evenings. How's that?
Old May 24th 2006, 8:57 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

How many hrs do you have to wait for her to finish typing and then for you to get done reading? LOL D
Hahaha, ahem.

Oh dear, is it THAT bad? I could feasibly set aside 10-12hrs per week, mostly evenings. How's that? [/QUOTE]

You'll do.
Old May 24th 2006, 8:58 pm
Back where I belong!

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
How many hrs do you have to wait for her to finish typing and then for you to get done reading? LOL
Sorry it's taking some time, I have a call in about it!!!
Old May 24th 2006, 8:59 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Hello.

Cheers.
Have you considered going to grad school here? I always recommend that to people like you who dont have the obvious "in" (i.e., no American fiance). It gives you the chance to really live in the US (I mean, Camp America is not "real" living in the US, and I hear you don't have any free time anyway and it is like slave labor).

Grad school will (a) give you the opportunity to further your edumacation; (b) obtain a degree that will allow you to stay in the US (via the 1-year practical training arrangement and subsequently maybe a H-1 visa); and (c) of course, find an American fiance so that (a) and (b) no longer matter.
Old May 24th 2006, 9:13 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dunroving
Have you considered going to grad school here? I always recommend that to people like you who dont have the obvious "in" (i.e., no American fiance). It gives you the chance to really live in the US (I mean, Camp America is not "real" living in the US, and I hear you don't have any free time anyway and it is like slave labor).

Grad school will (a) give you the opportunity to further your edumacation; (b) obtain a degree that will allow you to stay in the US (via the 1-year practical training arrangement and subsequently maybe a H-1 visa); and (c) of course, find an American fiance so that (a) and (b) no longer matter.
Would that be the first step of the, "George W. Bush: Road to The White House"? If so then sign me up; he did alright.

Otherwise, I like your style. If said fiance had a father who could get his son-in-law into a fully paid management training scheme plus diverse career, then I'd be laughing all the way to the alter.

I haven't looked at Grad schools themselves (yet), do they require funding akin to College/University fees?. I am currently reading about trade apprenticeships in the US and their Pro's and Con's.

Thanks for the tip.
Old May 24th 2006, 9:14 pm
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

I came over to America, Pennsylvania to be exact in 2002 on a Camp America program. I met an American guy who was working there and cut a long story short we're now married and still live in Pennsylvania.

Bear in mind you will need to currently be a student or a college graduate to qualify for the J1-visa needed to go in the first place.

Camp America are a terrible organisation and I recommend going with BUNAC, CA take a big cut of your salary and basically leave you to your own devices once you're in the states.
The camp you go to will work you like a dog for peanuts. I worked roughly between 10-16 hour days, 6 days a week for $60 a week and was told on a regular basis how lucky we all were to get a day off at all.
The kids who worked at a camp down the road got one afternoon off a week and slept in tents.
That said, you will meet kids from all over the globe and probably have a great time, if you can stand the endless work work work (and a lot of people can't and quit after 3 weeks or so.)
We weren't allowed off the camp premises either unless you find a car to buy, which a lot of people do. Locals will pull out any old banger and leave it on the side of the road with a sign on it saying "For Sale $1000" because they know that during camp season there willl be a lot of camp kids willing to pay, so they can get off camp and smuggle booze back into the camp.At my camp everyone got drunk 5 nights out of 7 mainly to relieve the stress of ridiculous working hours.

Check out the British Council website, there is a visa available for young people who want to work and travel around America, instead of being tied to one place for several months, like a camp. Providing you are astudent and have a college course to go home to. They want proof you're not going to become an illegal alien.
If you are a recent graduate, you could also check out the mountbatten internship program if you fancy spending some time working in New York.

Bear in mind that the working life in America is very different to Britain. People will step on you to get ahead, the culture is uptight and competitive. You work 8am-5pm everyday and 10 days off a year is standard.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.