Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Good accountant in Boston area?

Good accountant in Boston area?

Old Mar 1st 2013, 3:20 pm
Forum Regular

Markoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant future
Default Good accountant in Boston area?

Sorry, first post for ages - frequent visitor to lurk in the shadows, but not posted for ages.

I'm in the position where I need to file my first tax return, having moved here in August.

Can anyone recommend a good accountant who knows all about the US/UK stuff? Preferably in the Boston area. I do like to look into their eyes when they are telling me how much I owe!
Old Mar 1st 2013, 5:38 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Good accountant in Boston area?

So you didn't get this in the relocation?

If you don't have a house/rental income in the UK and not home owners here, it's actually not that complicated, just read over the forms.

It gets complicated when you're self employed or home owners as you get more to deduct etc.

Might be better off posting in the Boston Brits FB page if you want someone in Boston.

I know someone in Western MA, I'll ask her if she knows someone in the Boston area.
Old Mar 1st 2013, 5:40 pm
Forum Regular

Markoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant future

Oh yes - its COMPLICATED...

I was a company owner in the UK, so filed taxes for that, and I rent my house out there.

Guess I'll keep looking.
Old Mar 1st 2013, 10:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond repute

So you have a CFC and need to file a 5471 as well as in Mass (and an 8938 and FBAR).
Old Mar 2nd 2013, 1:06 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Markoncarp
Oh yes - its COMPLICATED...

I was a company owner in the UK, so filed taxes for that, and I rent my house out there.
Ask around your friends and work contacts for a recommendation. It's not that hard for a competent tax practitioner CPA to understand that foreign income is taxable in the U.S. and apply a foreign tax credit if necessary.

You will need to continue filing U.K. returns as long as you have a rental property, however you may not need to pay anything due to the personal allowance. If you only have a rental property you may wish to file U.K. returns yourself.

Your U.K. company is definitely a complication for your U.S. tax returns (Controlled Foreign Company), although it may be less complex if you divested of it before coming to the United States. Discuss with your tax adviser.
Old Mar 4th 2013, 2:48 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

If you're still looking for a recommendation, cousin came up with one, in the burbs though, but should be able to help with a lot of experience in this, will pm his deets.