Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Golden Globes

Golden Globes

Old Jan 26th 2004, 1:02 am
Just Joined

liltraveler is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Golden Globes

All I have to say is CONGRATS to the Office for winning over Sex in the City and Will and Grace for best comedy/musical tv series. What an awesome night for those guys!!
Old Jan 26th 2004, 1:54 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

YIKES!

I haven't been watching the GG - just got back this evening from Newark airport to collect hubby whom had just flown in from London (with today's "The Sunday Times" "The Mail on Sunday" and the latest 'Marie Claire' mags, various packets of crisps, snacks etc. etc. Sorry I got carried away there.....

I forgot the GG was on and watched a DVD of 'Fawlty Towers' and tonight's 'Sex and the City' which is really boring these days.

Brilliant that "The Office" has won an award...as Victor Meldrew would say

"I just don't believe it".....
Old Jan 26th 2004, 2:11 am
100% Pure

DaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Englishmum
Brilliant that "The Office" has won an award...as Victor Meldrew would say

"I just don't believe it".....
Two awards actually, Gervais got best comedy actor. Fantastic news!
Old Jan 26th 2004, 3:22 am
finally home with thing1

thing2 is an unknown quantity at this point

I wonder if a lot of people here will 'get' the humor.

Great that it won both of the awards it was nominated for - I can imagine the puzzled looks on some faces. I loved Ricky Gervais' speech "I'm not from these parts... I'm from a little place called England. We used to run the world before you."

My local DVD store didn't even know where to stock 'The Office' DVD. They filed it under 'Special Interest' and not under 'Comedy' At least it's available on a Region 1 DVD here.

I'm still introducing Thing1 to a lot of the best English TV shows. 'The Office' is on the list.
Old Jan 26th 2004, 1:25 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by thing2
I wonder if a lot of people here will 'get' the humor.
When they showed the clips of the nominated shows, it seemed to get the biggest laughs from the audience.

Maybe we could just hear them better because it's the only one without the annoying music and laughter added on top though.
Old Jan 26th 2004, 1:41 pm
I'm as thick as a plank!

PrincessofWales is an unknown quantity at this point

very proud, very proud indeed.

Go Slough!
Old Jan 26th 2004, 1:45 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Golden Globes

Did anyone else catch the look on Robin Williams face when Ricky G won? It was priceless, he looked totally stunned!
Old Jan 26th 2004, 5:42 pm
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute

yeeeehaaaaa, WELL DONE TO THE OFFICE.

My wife and I both yelled when they won the first award (even though my wife is a yank, she totally loves the office).

When its compared to 'will and grace' and 'monk' it blows it out of the water. I bet 99.9% of the audience had never heard of it, I can't imagine J-lo, kevin costner and Tom Cruise sitting down on a friday night with a cup of PG tips watching the show and laughing when Brent qoutes his famous "quips".

Not bad, we beat them americans in their own back yard!
Old Jan 26th 2004, 10:20 pm
Time Lord

dgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Golden Globes

Originally posted by sibsie
Did anyone else catch the look on Robin Williams face when Ricky G won? It was priceless, he looked totally stunned!
Eric Idle, who was sitting next to Robin Williams, looked quite pleased that it won.
Old Jan 28th 2004, 12:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

I loved Ricky Gervais's quip when accepting the second award " Oh good, a couple of bookends"
It seemed like a popular win to me- apart from Robin Williams, who looked clueless.