Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Going through the customs in the USA

Going through the customs in the USA

Old Jan 5th 2008, 3:26 pm
Forum Regular

Hove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to all
Default Going through the customs in the USA

I do not know about anyone else,But after being
searched from head to toe at Gatwick, Then debarking off a non stop flight in Minneapolis we had to go through the same procedure again.I did not get off the plane anywhere do any shopping in space, or stuff my shoes with anything? Maybe I missed a space mall and missed out on a shopping spree.I understand the stamping of the passport and whatever.
I just do not get why we must do it twice. They also bought in the sniffer dog that the kids wanted to pet.
Then the woman that was doing the searching was like Brunnhilde wicked old cow she made one kid take off his long sweatshirt he had worn it the whole trip.I just think that procedure was a waste of time....................Maybe it was just me that felt this way.
Old Jan 5th 2008, 4:15 pm
Banned

Desdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Going through the customs in the USA

Originally Posted by Hove
searched from head to toe at Gatwick, Then debarking off a non stop flight in Minneapolis we had to go through the same procedure again.I did not get off the plane anywhere do any shopping in space, or stuff my shoes with anything? Maybe I missed a space mall and missed out on a shopping spree.I understand the stamping of the passport and whatever.
I just do not get why we must do it twice. They also bought in the sniffer dog that the kids wanted to pet.
Then the woman that was doing the searching was like Brunnhilde wicked old cow she made one kid take off his long sweatshirt he had worn it the whole trip.I just think that procedure was a waste of time....................Maybe it was just me that felt this way.
A lot has changed since 9/11 it didn't used to be like that. However, totally understand how you feel, especially since you were travelling with kids ...
Old Jan 5th 2008, 4:37 pm
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

MSP is a huge airport. You definitely missed the shopping area. That's located right after security and it looks kinda like a mini mall. Once you get into the wings of it you won't see much accept for food outlets and sundries. You might feel it was a waste of time but the minute you land the opportunity for mischief arises. Anything can happen while you are on the ground. So it's not really a waste of time.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 1:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

I understand how you must feel. However, things can be missed.

Cleaning out my purse after arriving back in the UK from the US (total of four flights), I discovered that I had been carrying a stanley knife/razor blade the entire time. (I'd put it in there several months earlier when I went to a UK hardware store to ensure that I bought the correct one.)

And then there was a recent event involving someone I know who is based in Oz, who discovered once through all the security checks etc when leaving the US that the boarding pass she was holding was of someone with a similar name to hers.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 3:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

basementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc

Cleaning out my purse after arriving back in the UK from the US (total of four flights), I discovered that I had been carrying a stanley knife/razor blade the entire time. (I'd put it in there several months earlier when I went to a UK hardware store to ensure that I bought the correct one.)

And then there was a recent event involving someone I know who is based in Oz, who discovered once through all the security checks etc when leaving the US that the boarding pass she was holding was of someone with a similar name to hers.
Maybe they are looking for a smuggled US Senator on his way to the toilets?
Old Jan 6th 2008, 3:57 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc

Cleaning out my purse after arriving back in the UK from the US (total of four flights), I discovered that I had been carrying a stanley knife/razor blade the entire time.............
So they missed it, did they...
Old Jan 6th 2008, 4:02 pm
Forum Regular

Hove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Desdemona
A lot has changed since 9/11 it didn't used to be like that. However, totally understand how you feel, especially since you were travelling with kids ...
What I meant to say was the children in the customs line wanted to pet the dog,My kid days are long over.
I have been through there many times since 911 anhd I think that was the worst it has ever been...................
Old Jan 6th 2008, 4:03 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by basementwaj
Maybe they are looking for a smuggled US Senator on his way to the toilets?
thats funny as I was traveling to Idaho
Old Jan 6th 2008, 4:12 pm
Banned

Desdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond repute

What I meant to say was the children in the customs line wanted to pet the dog,My kid days are long over.
I have been through there many times since 911 anhd I think that was the worst it has ever been...................
What I said is that I'm sorry about your ordeal, 'cos I thought maybe you had very young children travelling with you. The security is tight for obvious reasons and as another poster pointed out, you can never be too careful .... air travel is sooo fun these days
Old Jan 6th 2008, 4:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
So they missed it, did they...
Yep.
Old Jan 7th 2008, 3:19 am
Pompey Boy

gazzpfc will become famous soon enough

My only gripe is most of the people looking really have no bloody clue what they are looking for.
Old Jan 7th 2008, 3:23 am
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gazzpfc
My only gripe is most of the people looking really have no bloody clue what they are looking for.
What you mean those Ivy League graduates that work for the TSA haven't a clue. Heavens no! LOL.
Old Jan 7th 2008, 2:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

mayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of light

Got hauled over for a 'Secondary!!' (This is what the official yelled - presume it means a second thorough search??) at SFO this weekend.
I 'had a go' on the device that checks for chemicals which is the wierdest thing. You stand in the box and it puffs some air at you and then a few seconds later you get a green light and the doors open.
Does anyone know what happens if it's a red light? Does a trap door open? Get vaporised? Any alarms go off and a SWAT team arrive?
Old Jan 7th 2008, 3:14 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Always amusing if you arrive with a flight from South America, you would not believe what banned foodstuffs can be collected.
Old Jan 7th 2008, 3:15 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Was it a mean looking cop dog or was a it a beagle? The beagles are used for food searches--looking for meats and fruits that are brought in.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.