British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Going over to Mexico (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/going-over-mexico-713663/)

candy wy. Apr 17th 2011 7:01 pm

Going over to Mexico

Do any of you go to the border towns of Mexico? which town do you think is the safest to visit. any tips on do's and don'ts when visiting..

Poppy girl Apr 17th 2011 7:05 pm

Re: Going over to Mexico

Originally Posted by candy wy. (Post 9310418)
Do any of you go to the border towns of Mexico? which town do you think is the safest to visit. any tips on do's and don'ts when visiting..

Yep don't go period lol.

steve100100 Apr 17th 2011 7:07 pm

We went to Tijuana when we lived in CA. It was fun. Felt safe enough although we didn't wander from the tourist areas.

Although, this was six years ago. Don't know what it's like these days.

Poppy girl Apr 17th 2011 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by steve100100 (Post 9310428)
We went to Tijuana when we lived in CA. It was fun. Felt safe enough although we didn't wander from the tourist areas.

Come to Modesto instead you won't know the difference lol

steve100100 Apr 17th 2011 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by Poppy girl (Post 9310431)
Come to Modesto instead you won't know the difference lol

Ah, but do the bars in Modesto sell beer for 99c?:D

Poppy girl Apr 17th 2011 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by steve100100 (Post 9310433)
Ah, but do the bars in Modesto sell beer for 99c?:D

Good point but I bet we have more Taco/Roach vans :lol:

steve100100 Apr 17th 2011 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by Poppy girl (Post 9310427)
Yep don't go period lol.

I agree. Although we had fun that one night in TJ, I think Mexican border towns are probably best avoided in general.

Poppy girl Apr 17th 2011 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by steve100100 (Post 9310436)
I agree. Although we had fun that one night in TJ, I think Mexican border towns are probably best avoided in general.

Mexico in general....I have Mexican friends and even they don't want or won't go there.

steve100100 Apr 17th 2011 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by Poppy girl (Post 9310439)
Mexico in general....I have Mexican friends and even they don't want or won't go there.

I'm sure there must be some nice parts of Mexico but border towns are usually pretty dirty holes.

That night in Tijuana was my first and only experience of Mexico. I remember cheap beer and strip clubs.

Stayed in a hotel with a strip club downstairs. Didn't realize they were open 24/7. We could hear the music in our room.

By 5am, enough was enough. We got up and left. Walked across the border and got in the car and drove home. Memories!

ldyinlv Apr 17th 2011 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by steve100100 (Post 9310428)

Dont go to TJ they even told the US Marines to stay out because it is to dangerous.

Poppy girl Apr 17th 2011 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by steve100100 (Post 9310448)
I'm sure there must be some nice parts of Mexico but border towns are usually pretty dirty holes.

That night in Tijuana was my first and only experience of Mexico. I remember cheap beer and strip clubs.

Stayed in a hotel with a strip club downstairs. Didn't realize they were open 24/7. We could hear the music in our room.

By 5am, enough was enough. We got up and left. Walked across the border and got in the car and drove home. Memories!

Yes young, foot loose, and fancy free :D

I just don't get it why folk go there you end up in a concrete jungle compound, where you are limited to where you can visit without fearing for your life, when you could get on plane and go to Hawaii or the such like!!

Each to their own, I would give it away if someone bought me a ticket.

meauxna Apr 17th 2011 7:28 pm

We just crossed at Nogales, in and out in 45 minutes & on a specific mission. I love Mexico but the border towns suck & aren't particularly safe. Why do you want to go? If you want to drive over, there are other places you can easily reach that are a lot more desirable.

steve100100 Apr 17th 2011 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by ldyinlv (Post 9310451)
Dont go to TJ they even told the US Marines to stay out because it is to dangerous.

Wow! I don't have plans to go back anytime soon. I guess we were lucky.

Poppy girl Apr 17th 2011 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by meauxna (Post 9310458)
We just crossed at Nogales, in and out in 45 minutes & on a specific mission. I love Mexico but the border towns suck & aren't particularly safe. Why do you want to go? If you want to drive over, there are other places you can easily reach that are a lot more desirable.

She is on a secret mission ;)

steve100100 Apr 17th 2011 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by Poppy girl (Post 9310455)
Yes young, foot loose, and fancy free :D

I just don't get it why folk go there you end up in a concrete jungle compound, where you are limited to where you can visit without fearing for your life, when you could get on plane and go to Hawaii or the such like!!

Each to their own, I would give it away if someone bought me a ticket.

Right. We went because we were living in LA at the time so it was do-able to drive there for a night. I certainly wouldn't get on a plane and vacation there.