Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Going home for Xmas and want to take our dog!

Going home for Xmas and want to take our dog!

Old Jun 20th 2005, 7:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Going home for Xmas and want to take our dog!

Originally Posted by Manc
my neighbour is the same. trollop.
If I didn't have to spread it out a little more, that would have been worth a Karma shot. lol
Old Jun 20th 2005, 7:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

We put our dog up at Petsmarts Pets hotel for two nights recently. Not sure if you have one close by?.
Old Jun 20th 2005, 8:06 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Going home for Xmas and want to take our dog!

Originally Posted by Guelder Rose
Sadly, this pet passport scheme is bandied about as being a way for your pooch to go on vacation with you ...
However, it's a boon for those expats living in places like Brussels, Paris, Amsterdam etc. or those who've retired to Provence or the Costa Del Sol....they just put their pets in the car and take the train or ferries across the Channel.

I remember when Chris Patton had to leave Hong Kong (where he was the Governor) when it was returned to China, refused to move back to the UK because he couldn't take his dogs in unless he was prepared to put them into quarantine kennels. He moved to France instead (where he soon managed to find a 'plum' job as some sort of EU Commissioner.. ). I'm fairly certain that he was one of the main instigators of putting pressure on the (New Labour) govt. to get the Pet Passport scheme approved.
Old Jun 20th 2005, 9:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

Without the pets scheme we wouldnt have got a dog. The thought of quarantine makes me shudder.

I've had my dog for a year now and she is quite a mummys girl. We have only ever left her once with a very trusty neighbour for one night, however would you believe it on that occasion she was attacked by another dog. My husband wanted her to go into a kennel as he thought she would be safer but I insisted she would be happier with our neighbour. We are going away again soon and I wondered what everyones opinion was on whether the safety of a kennel outweighs the possible stress caused by them. Or should I just go with the neighbour again, which is my preference?

(I dont mean to hijack the thread but it seems original question has been answered)
Old Jun 20th 2005, 9:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Guelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ladylisa
Without the pets scheme we wouldnt have got a dog. The thought of quarantine makes me shudder.

I've had my dog for a year now and she is quite a mummys girl. We have only ever left her once with a very trusty neighbour for one night, however would you believe it on that occasion she was attacked by another dog. My husband wanted her to go into a kennel as he thought she would be safer but I insisted she would be happier with our neighbour. We are going away again soon and I wondered what everyones opinion was on whether the safety of a kennel outweighs the possible stress caused by them. Or should I just go with the neighbour again, which is my preference?

(I dont mean to hijack the thread but it seems original question has been answered)
Hard one to answer, to be honest I think only you can decide as you know your neighbour.

The last time I left my dog with a friend I was landed with a huge vet bill of nearly 1,000GBP ... I now avoid going anywhere unless my dog can come too. If push came to shove I would choose to leave her in a 5 star dog hotel ... that mainly being because my US family seem to think dogs are nowt more than yard animals - they actually think I'm loopy because my dog lives in the house!
Old Jun 20th 2005, 9:39 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

It depends on the Dog, ours is fast asleep on the Porch. She is 90 lbs, Chow/Newfoundland, old and placid. She knows our neighbours, they have small children, and their dog, likes the food, and whilst she will dig her way out occasionally, does not wander far. She would not like a kennel and she is easy to look after.

Change the parameters and I would not wish to impose.
Old Jun 20th 2005, 9:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Your dog is going to have some level of stress wherever you leave them, because you're breaking up the normal routine. That stress normally leads to them not eating while there or them having the shits for a few days after you bring them home, which is perfectly normal, because this is what happend to our dog and we took her to the vet just to be on the safe side. Most places around here seem to be marketing themselves as "Pet Resorts" instead of kennels, but they offer a wide range of services, including would you believe, suites with tiled floors and a TV!. They then throw in all kinds of things like doggy day camp and exercise periods. We even got ours a bath before we picked her up.
Old Jun 20th 2005, 9:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Guelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pimpbot
Your dog is going to have some level of stress wherever you leave them, because you're breaking up the normal routine. That stress normally leads to them not eating while there or them having the shits for a few days after you bring them home, which is perfectly normal, because this is what happend to our dog and we took her to the vet just to be on the safe side. Most places around here seem to be marketing themselves as "Pet Resorts" instead of kennels, but they offer a wide range of services, including would you believe, suites with tiled floors and a TV!. They then throw in all kinds of things like doggy day camp and exercise periods. We even got ours a bath before we picked her up.
Some even provide a web cam service ... so you can check in and see how your dog is doing 24/7.

And while the suites with TV may seem a bit OTT to some ... they aren't for those of us that allow our dogs to sleep on the bed/couch, and leave the radio or TV on for company when we go out.
Old Jun 20th 2005, 9:58 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WarriorLife
LOL.

Well I guess I could ask around. I was always brought up with that mentality of "A friend in need is a pest", and I know it would somewhat annoy me having to pop into my neighbours house twice a day everyday to feed their dog! I don't like to be a bother, I guess.

Some good feedback though guys...seems like 5* hotel is the biggest 'everbody wins' choice.
The EU pet passport scheme is really aimed at people who want to take their dog on holiday to Europe not transatlantic trips. Even so there was a lot of bad press last year about dogs taken to Spain/France/Greece who got all sorts of nasty fatal bugs which the local dogs have an inbred immunity to. The bottom line was leave the dog at home and enjoy your holiday.
Our dog and cat are going through the EU scheme to come to the states and it has been very expensive and quite traumatic for the dog and he hasn't been near a plane yet!
We were quoted £900 for the dogs one way trip from Liverpool to PA.
Old Jun 20th 2005, 10:07 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jumping doris
The EU pet passport scheme is really aimed at people who want to take their dog on holiday to Europe not transatlantic trips. Even so there was a lot of bad press last year about dogs taken to Spain/France/Greece who got all sorts of nasty fatal bugs which the local dogs have an inbred immunity to. The bottom line was leave the dog at home and enjoy your holiday.
Our dog and cat are going through the EU scheme to come to the states and it has been very expensive and quite traumatic for the dog and he hasn't been near a plane yet!
We were quoted £900 for the dogs one way trip from Liverpool to PA.
Might work out just as cheap to have him on the transatlantic liner the QM2 (which has kennels) and one of the adults in the family going on the cruise too!
Old Jun 20th 2005, 10:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

Some even provide a web cam service ... so you can check in and see how your dog is doing 24/7.

And while the suites with TV may seem a bit OTT to some ... they aren't for those of us that allow our dogs to sleep on the bed/couch, and leave the radio or TV on for company when we go out.
We leave the radio on for our dog and it has to be at a certain level as to not annoy her and it has to be on a nice station. (no heavy metal!) my US friend thinks I'm nuts she said, she's only a dog! Rubbish she's one of the family as far as I'm concerned.
Old Jun 20th 2005, 10:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jumping doris
Just wondering exactly what has been so traumatic for your dog ... I know they have to be micro chipped, have the rabbies vaccine and then have blood drawn but I can't see what's so bad about that, unless your dog has a needle phobia that is!
Old Jun 20th 2005, 10:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Pets Hotel has a "Bone Phone" where they will bring the dog to the phone so you can talk to him or her. We also leave the TV on in the bedroom for our dog.
Old Jun 20th 2005, 10:16 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

I agree totally with the recommendation to NOT take the dog home for a 10-day trip. Too much hassle to go through the Pet Passport requirements, plus of the three options (dog-sitter/neighbour, kennel, or take with you), taking a dog on a transAtlantic trip has to be the most stressful by a long way.

As for dog-sitter/neighbour vs kennels, it all depends on the dog. My dog loves the kennels and would be stressed out being at home if someone else were dog-sitting, or staying with neighbours. However, I take care of a colleague's dog regularly because she is a wreck any time they put her in the kennels.

The thing I like most about the kennels is the level of "control" - your dog is enclosed, watched over regularly, etc. Left with a neighbor or dog-sitter you never know what could happen. If my dog got out the yard, for example, no-one on this earth except me could persuade her to go back in - and she has absolutely zero traffic sense.
Old Jun 20th 2005, 10:19 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

The ideal way is to find someone with whom one can have a 'permanent' reciprocal arrangement, so that both dogs and owners get used to each other. We regularly go on joint walks with the neighbours whose dog we look after when they go away (and vice versa). Our dogs also regularly visit each others' homes.

This way they get used to the different people and homes, so they find the time when their owners are away less dramatic.

Elvira

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.