Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Going home for Xmas and want to take our dog!

Going home for Xmas and want to take our dog!

Old Jun 20th 2005, 6:25 pm
Banned

WarriorLife has a brilliant futureWarriorLife has a brilliant futureWarriorLife has a brilliant futureWarriorLife has a brilliant futureWarriorLife has a brilliant futureWarriorLife has a brilliant futureWarriorLife has a brilliant future
Default Going home for Xmas and want to take our dog!

Does anyone know where to start with this? You guys are basically my first port of call. We are looking into booking our flights for our Xmas trip back to Liverpool...and would like to take our dog with us.

If it is practical we'd love to do it...I heard quarantine has been abolished and that a dog with all its shots can be transported quite easily.

Any links, experiences, etc would be very gratefully appreciated.

Pigeon
Old Jun 20th 2005, 6:28 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Going home for Xmas and want to take our dog!

How long you going for?
Old Jun 20th 2005, 6:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Guelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond repute

I think it takes a minimum of six months from giving the rabies vaccine to getting a passport ... the Defra site will answer all your questions on that point.

Further, the cost of transporting your dog could well run into thousands for a return trip ... and this is not even to mention the trauma that your dog will probably go through. If you are only going for a short vacation, it might be kinder to leave your dog with a friend, relative ... or even at a kennel.

Originally Posted by WarriorLife
Does anyone know where to start with this? You guys are basically my first port of call. We are looking into booking our flights for our Xmas trip back to Liverpool...and would like to take our dog with us.

If it is practical we'd love to do it...I heard quarantine has been abolished and that a dog with all its shots can be transported quite easily.

Pigeon
Old Jun 20th 2005, 6:33 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Pigeon
Frankly, I feel such a trip would be too stressful for your dog. The only justification I can see for transporting a pet across the Atlantic is one-way emigration...

If you want to pursue this further, I would suggest discussing it with your dog's physician...

Elvira
Old Jun 20th 2005, 6:33 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guelder Rose

Further, the cost of transporting your dog could well run into thousands for a return trip ... and this is not even to mention the trauma that your dog will probably go through. If you are only going for a short vacation, it might be kinder to leave your dog with a friend, relative ... or even at a kennel.

Or saner.
Old Jun 20th 2005, 6:34 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
How long you going for?
Ahh you bottled it
Old Jun 20th 2005, 6:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Guelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Pigeon
My own experience was bringing my dog from the UK to CA ... she was locked in her crate for approx 14 hours and was really distressed when I collected her (as such, I would never put her through that experience again). The cost from Heathrow to LAX was just over 700GBP ... cost of crate was 140GBP.
Old Jun 20th 2005, 6:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DonnaElvira
Frankly, I feel such a trip would be too stressful for your dog. The only justification I can see for transporting a pet across the Atlantic is one-way emigration...
Elvira
Absolutely true ... it took an awful lot for me to leave my dog to go and board my flight, but the only other option was to stay in the UK. Sadly, this pet passport scheme is bandied about as being a way for your pooch to go on vacation with you ... thankfully the costs involved deter most people, because no matter how much you pay and what you are promised by the carrier, the whole experience is very traumatic for a dog.
Old Jun 20th 2005, 6:48 pm
Banned

WarriorLife has a brilliant futureWarriorLife has a brilliant futureWarriorLife has a brilliant futureWarriorLife has a brilliant futureWarriorLife has a brilliant futureWarriorLife has a brilliant futureWarriorLife has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Guelder Rose
Absolutely true ... it took an awful lot for me to leave my dog to go and board my flight, but the only other option was to stay in the UK. Sadly, this pet passport scheme is bandied about as being a way for your pooch to go on vacation with you ... thankfully the costs involved deter most people, because no matter how much you pay and what you are promised by the carrier, the whole experience is very traumatic for a dog.
Thank you all for the fast responses. You're quite right to think of the trauma. Like I mentioned, my and wife are tossing the idea around and havn't begun to even look at the 'wrinkles'. Obviously there are many.

We will be going for 10 days and didn't really like the idea of our pooch being alone in some kennel during the holidays (our first Xmas with him) and thought it kinda to bring him along. Seems its a case of finding the lesser of two evils...!
Old Jun 20th 2005, 6:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thank you all for the fast responses. You're quite right to think of the trauma. Like I mentioned, my and wife are tossing the idea around and havn't begun to even look at the 'wrinkles'. Obviously there are many.

We will be going for 10 days and didn't really like the idea of our pooch being alone in some kennel during the holidays (our first Xmas with him) and thought it kinda to bring him along. Seems its a case of finding the lesser of two evils...!
Yep, kennels would be the lesser of two evils, if you don't have a friend to take care of him/her while you are away.

The only upside is that in the US they do have five star hotels for dogs to stay in .... which is nicer than the concrete cells they tend to have in the UK.
Old Jun 20th 2005, 6:53 pm
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

Can't you find a house sitter or a neighbour that would take the pooch in? Sticking him on a plane just for a 10 day trip seems a little too much to me.

I wouldn't put my dog on a plane or in kennel. I would leave him with my wife's family while we were gone.
Old Jun 20th 2005, 7:01 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Okay, NOW is the time to make friends with other dog owners! Get yourself down to the local dog park every day (find out what's the best time, i.e. when do you find most people there), and START NETWORKING!

Dogowners love dogs, and most don't like the idea of a dog, any dog, having to go to a kennel more than you do. As long as you are prepared to reciprocate, you should be able to find someone who will either take in your dog, or will come and walk/feed him/her, twice a day.

Good luck!

Elvira
Old Jun 20th 2005, 7:15 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Our neighbour looks after our dog when we are away, she will happily sleep anywhere.

We do have problems when we get back, seems like the food is better there and it takes a week or so for her to get used to the gruel we feed her.

She is the ultimate Pub dog, shame she will never experience a real Pub.
Old Jun 20th 2005, 7:17 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
she will happily sleep anywhere.
my neighbour is the same. trollop.

Last edited by Manc; Jun 20th 2005 at 7:38 pm.
Old Jun 20th 2005, 7:24 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Manc
my neighbor is the same. trollop.
LOL.

Well I guess I could ask around. I was always brought up with that mentality of "A friend in need is a pest", and I know it would somewhat annoy me having to pop into my neighbours house twice a day everyday to feed their dog! I don't like to be a bother, I guess.

Some good feedback though guys...seems like 5* hotel is the biggest 'everbody wins' choice.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.