Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

going from cold climate to hot climate

going from cold climate to hot climate

Old May 12th 2006, 4:09 pm
Slight chance of Showers

dan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: going from cold climate to hot climate

Originally Posted by Bob
It's rare though, and also the thing with mobile phones, doesn't really happen either...
The problem is that people see the no cell phone stickers, knowing that it won't really happen and then take that to mean all of the warnings are similar and I have seen people smoking close to gas pumps when pumping gas into their cars.
Old May 12th 2006, 4:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Me too. In winter I close the car door with my foot, but then the next metal object I touch......ZAP. You can actually hear the crackle and sometimes even see blue sparks. :scared:
One tip when you know you have built up a charge is to ground yourself through a piece of metal (such as a key). It doesn't hurt as you don't get the minature burn on you skin that you get by directly touching the grounded object.

- Tim
Old May 12th 2006, 4:24 pm
Forum Regular

Jimbo the Bimbo is a jewel in the roughJimbo the Bimbo is a jewel in the roughJimbo the Bimbo is a jewel in the roughJimbo the Bimbo is a jewel in the roughJimbo the Bimbo is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Caligirl4ever
Another Cali girl,

My hubby is from Devon and we are living SW of you in Morgan Hill, CA. Been here a couple of years and hubby is now use to the weather. Thankfully we have no humidity in California and it cools down in the evening. Make sure you guys don't to any outside activity between 2-5pm in the summer. Sacramento is a great place to live, close to Lake Tahoe too...lucky you!

Hey, living in California means you pay for that Sunshine Tax...hmmm

Good luck to the both of you ;-)
Hey Caligirl,

Where abouts in Devon is your hubby from? We moved here from there just over a year ago. We lived in Torbay
Old May 12th 2006, 4:47 pm
cpf
Just Joined

cpf is just really nicecpf is just really nicecpf is just really nicecpf is just really nicecpf is just really nicecpf is just really nicecpf is just really nicecpf is just really nicecpf is just really nicecpf is just really nicecpf is just really nice

It's hard the first couple of years and then your body gets used to it. I live in DC where it's hot and humid. As with everything here, you have to adapt and change your schedule in the summer - do things early in the morning and accept that it's kind of like a second winter and stay in the AC a lot. The rest of the year certainly makes up for it though!

C
Old May 12th 2006, 4:50 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dan_alford
The problem is that people see the no cell phone stickers, knowing that it won't really happen and then take that to mean all of the warnings are similar and I have seen people smoking close to gas pumps when pumping gas into their cars.
Aye, that's true, I've noticed that too, and also people hot filling their motors...always a smart move...
Old May 12th 2006, 4:55 pm
Wind, earth, fire, water

User Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
A bit OT, does anyone sufer from static shock in dry weather? Cars, shop door handles, etc. It really pisses me off, they must think I'm some kind of loon, when I poke the door handles in shops
Happened quite frequenly when I clerked at a law firm in the "opera building" in Chicago. In winter the air was very dry and sometimes I must have dragged my shoes on the carpet and built up quite a charge, which any metal filing cabinet handle or door handle was happy to take from me. Oh!
Old May 12th 2006, 5:08 pm
Payed up premium member

evoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BrandonBrit
I heard a long time ago to carry a used dryer sheet like bounce in your pocket helps reduce the static, I've tried it....didn't work that well for me, still got zapped but it was less of one

Will we be seeing you at the next meet?
As long as you tell me when it is...ah and where would help.
Old May 12th 2006, 6:51 pm
Forum Regular

drew&venna is a name known to alldrew&venna is a name known to alldrew&venna is a name known to alldrew&venna is a name known to alldrew&venna is a name known to alldrew&venna is a name known to alldrew&venna is a name known to alldrew&venna is a name known to alldrew&venna is a name known to alldrew&venna is a name known to alldrew&venna is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Caligirl4ever
Another Cali girl,

My hubby is from Devon and we are living SW of you in Morgan Hill, CA. Been here a couple of years and hubby is now use to the weather. Thankfully we have no humidity in California and it cools down in the evening. Make sure you guys don't to any outside activity between 2-5pm in the summer. Sacramento is a great place to live, close to Lake Tahoe too...lucky you!

Hey, living in California means you pay for that Sunshine Tax...hmmm

Good luck to the both of you
last night wasnt so bad, i think that delta breeze is back!

Originally Posted by Elvira
Hiya - another Cali girl here (well, Brit in CA, and girl might be stretching it a bit)

I have to say that being close to Lake Tahoe (and equally close to San Francisco ) are probably the only good things about Excre... sorry Sacramento that come to mind...
its true. i've grown up here so its pretty hard to get excited about the railroad museum we will definitely be moving to SF city, near the ocean. i'm sick of the heat and the town! thankfully they just opened the pool buy our house so its swimming tonight
Old May 12th 2006, 7:14 pm
2007 pred.league robbery

lee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond repute

My first summer here : "Big deal the car doesn't have AC..i'll just wind the windows down?"
Later that summer : "I can't breathe and my arse has welded to the seat..call an ambulance"
Old May 12th 2006, 10:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

BrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by evoal2003
As long as you tell me when it is...ah and where would help.
I'll keep you up dated, check the other site in a week or so
Old May 13th 2006, 1:35 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
A bit OT, does anyone sufer from static shock in dry weather? Cars, shop door handles, etc. It really pisses me off, they must think I'm some kind of loon, when I poke the door handles in shops

Oh yeah - its worst coming down the curly slide at the playground...and this morning my beard was sparking as I climbed back up! That was bloody painful!
Old May 13th 2006, 1:58 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
It's rare though, and also the thing with mobile phones, doesn't really happen either...

May not happen often, but it does happen. We had a few incidents when I worked for one of the oil majors - a couple were on forecourts, and a few were on barges transporting motor spirit.....admittedly the barges were a slightly different situation, but theres little doubt that it was a regular cellphone that sparked off the explosions/fires - they certainly have the ability to spark off vapours if they are concentrated enough - maybe the reason there are so few forecourt instances is that the vapours actually dissipate pretty quickly in even the slightest breeze.

When we were back in the UK last year, the old dear at the BP station got her knickers in a twist over some guy standing chatting on his mobile while he was filling up, ignoring the signs and her repeated warning over the tannoy to put his phone down. She gave a final "shut it down or I turn off the pumps warning. He ignored her, so she threw the switch and turned off all the pumps!!
Old May 13th 2006, 7:05 am
Forum Regular

yorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to behold

We arrived here in Jan '05 and on the first day we ventured out for a walk, or tried to, half way down the road the kids were sweating and whining, we had to go back to get into the AC! Now I find I need a cardigan at night in 'winter'. The AC on my van has broken and now that it is getting warmer I am suffering a bit when I drive in the day time, but I can't really complain, it never gets to the kinds of heat temps that other people have to deal with that have posted here.

Most schools have no AC here and my kids complained the first summer, now they seem to be used to it and run around doing sports. However, my dog is a different story! He hates to be out in the heat and he runs from tree to tree trying to avoid the sun if I walk him at midday. I mostly walk him before 10am and after 5pm and it is really comfortable for him then.

Last edited by yorkshire_lass; May 13th 2006 at 7:10 am.
Old May 13th 2006, 10:11 am
Utter Newbie

st326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bob
Aye, that's true, I've noticed that too, and also people hot filling their motors...always a smart move...
Hot filling? What's this?

(No smutty remarks please, you lot!)
Old May 13th 2006, 11:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Rompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by st326
Hot filling? What's this?

(No smutty remarks please, you lot!)
Leaving the engine running while filling up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.