British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Going back to UK Jan 2008 (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/going-back-uk-jan-2008-a-483858/)

lj2 Sep 28th 2007 8:49 am

Re: Going back to UK Jan 2008

And on the bright side you will be closer to the mighty reds should you need to watch some decent sport ;)

lanky spoken here Sep 28th 2007 8:57 am

Originally Posted by lj2 (Post 5363198)
And on the bright side you will be closer to the mighty reds should you need to watch some decent sport ;)

Ooooooh, ya cheeky bugga:eek:

I think City will finish ahead of the Newton Heath brigade lol

lj2 Sep 28th 2007 9:20 am

I'll have a fiver with you.... ;)

Bristol City are my first team anyway mate and you have already beaten us this year... Anyways, I shan't hijack this thread any longer!

snowbunny Sep 28th 2007 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by lanky spoken here (Post 5363136)
Thank You! I have arthritis, and unfortunately my mother has arthritis and osteoporosis and sadly, my marriage has to come second for a while. I have 10 Year Green Card pending, my wife is a Radiologist, no problem her getting a job in EU, but she won't leave Texas. I'm just resigned, its really out of my hands, but knowledge is never wasted. Pharmacy is one of the main growth areas all across the World.

Your marriage can't just come second for a while unless you have citizenship. It has to end.

Arthritis is far worse in the UK than in Texas; the weather aggravates it.

Circus-of-Power Sep 28th 2007 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by lanky spoken here (Post 5363155)
LOL I'm from Bolton, and thats scraping th' barrel:lol:

You were lucky ...we never had a barrel :tounge_smile:

Silly Sod Sep 28th 2007 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by lanky spoken here (Post 5359919)
Got cheesed off with the low salary in Texas, and the high cost of healthcare.

If you've not got a college degree here, you're basically stuffed.

My USA wife refuses to move, so thats it:eek:

Moving back to UK mid Jan 2008, its been a good 3 years in USA, but I feel I've missed out on a lot of things.

Anyone else felt this way?

We are planning to move back in jan 08 too. Luckily the missus cant wait. I am sorry yours isn't keen but maybe she will change her mind. I hope so anyway. For myself - i will be sad to go, I dont think I have missed out on anything at all (only been here a year though) and I dont regret cming here for a moment. I saying to Mrs Sod just this morning as I looked at a gorgeous tree lined ridge against the pale blue sky of southwest michigan - shit love, I'm gonna miss this place when we got home!

Non the less, it has been an adventure and there are bound to be many more to come. I feel like I will appreciate blighty more having been away for a while. In fact, we might even go on holiday somewhere other than Rhyll for a change next year ha ha.

Anyway, good luck and hope it all works out for ya. Where abouts in lanc by the way? I have friends in Waterfoot mithering the life out me to move there instead of Mancehster. You never know :)

TruBrit Sep 28th 2007 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by Silly Sod (Post 5365584)
We are planning to move back in jan 08 too. Luckily the missus cant wait.

i asked you this before but can't remember your reply, sorry...has your wife lived in blighty before?

Englishmum Sep 29th 2007 12:14 am

Originally Posted by lanky spoken here (Post 5363136)

I have 10 Year Green Card pending, my wife is a Radiologist, no problem her getting a job in EU, but she won't leave Texas.

I feel so sorry for you. Marriage is all about compromise and sticking together for better or worse, yet your wife won't contemplate becoming resident in England, even on a temporary basis? You poor thing....do you think that counselling may help?

Perhaps she will change her mind when it dawns on her that you need to go back to England and choose to go with you. Would it help if she knew if there were any Americans living in the Manchester area whom she could hang out with?

Whatever happens, I wish you all the best.

Kaffy Mintcake Sep 29th 2007 12:58 am

Originally Posted by lanky spoken here (Post 5362830)
Wish I could get a degree, I'm doing 40 hours as it is. My parents are old and frail in UK, and I've decided to take care of them...Cost me my marriage, but my hearts in the right place.

Got a job as a aircraft refueller here, so that will do me good at Manchester Airport:lol:

Thank you for the kind and good advice.:thumbsup:

Obviously if your parents need you, your parents need you - but don't let 40 hours a week stand in the way of getting a degree should you wish to pursue one. I currently work full-time (45-50 hours/week on average) and am pursuing my masters - it will take me 2 years. At times it's hard, but it can be done.

Best of luck to you - sorry you're feeling down.

Redlippie Sep 29th 2007 1:03 am

Originally Posted by Silly Sod (Post 5365584)
We are planning to move back in jan 08 too. Luckily the missus cant wait. I am sorry yours isn't keen but maybe she will change her mind. I hope so anyway. For myself - i will be sad to go, I dont think I have missed out on anything at all (only been here a year though) and I dont regret cming here for a moment. I saying to Mrs Sod just this morning as I looked at a gorgeous tree lined ridge against the pale blue sky of southwest michigan - shit love, I'm gonna miss this place when we got home!

Non the less, it has been an adventure and there are bound to be many more to come. I feel like I will appreciate blighty more having been away for a while. In fact, we might even go on holiday somewhere other than Rhyll for a change next year ha ha.

Anyway, good luck and hope it all works out for ya. Where abouts in lanc by the way? I have friends in Waterfoot mithering the life out me to move there instead of Mancehster. You never know :)

Were you planning on being here for only a short time? I thought it was for keeps :) And yes, has the lovely Molly lived there before? :)

TruBrit Sep 29th 2007 1:06 am

Originally Posted by Redlippie (Post 5366592)
has the lovely Molly lived there before? :)

i've asked him that twice before and he wont tell me :p

Elvira Sep 29th 2007 1:23 am

Originally Posted by TruBrit (Post 5366594)
i've asked him that twice before and he wont tell me :p

I think they both used to live in Salford! :)

lisag8070 Sep 29th 2007 2:17 am

Originally Posted by Elvira (Post 5366613)
I think they both used to live in Salford! :)

ahhhh, my sweet sweet home.....:wub::wub:

mandpete Sep 29th 2007 2:37 am

Originally Posted by lisag8070 (Post 5366669)
ahhhh, my sweet sweet home.....:wub::wub:

mine too, (sort of).

Sally Sep 29th 2007 2:46 am

Originally Posted by elfman (Post 5360155)
Obviuosly a lot can happen in six weeks....

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=474056

sorry to hear it's not worked out, hope it all goes well on your return to Britain.

Lol thought I remembered the name.

He might have missed some reality shows :eek: