Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

going back to U.S - maybe

Wikiposts

going back to U.S - maybe

Old Sep 20th 2010, 11:24 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: going back to U.S - maybe

Originally Posted by SoccerMomby2
But it's us that don't want to make the move permanent. Even if I had a green card I believe I would still think of returning to UK.
Having a GC doesn't tie you forever to the US... but it does ensure that if you want to stay - however long that stay is - that you aren't forced to move. It's all about having the ball in your court, not someone else's.

Ian
Old Sep 20th 2010, 11:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Would you want to go back to the UK and leave your kids and possibly grandchildren in the US? That's the dilemma many of us face.
That's my dilemma. My children and grandchildren are the only reason I am still here. I hate the thought of growing old in this country (it scares me), but I don't want to leave my children and grandchildren.
Old Sep 20th 2010, 12:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Derrygal
That's my dilemma. My children and grandchildren are the only reason I am still here. I hate the thought of growing old in this country (it scares me), but I don't want to leave my children and grandchildren.
No disrespect to the concern raised however the children and grand children should be free to decide where they want to live. GC / USC option will just broaden their avenues. Besides, the children and grand children’s up bringing will ensure they will do everything they can to have family close to where they want to be.

May be I need to grow a few more gray hair to fully comprehend the point raised but at the end of the day as a parent I would want to do everything at hand to ensure better life for my children. If I end up living with them or not is for the future. Hopefully I would have done enough for the children to realize the help/support I would need when I grow older.
Old Sep 20th 2010, 12:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by E3only
No disrespect to the concern raised however the children and grand children should be free to decide where they want to live. GC / USC option will just broaden their avenues. Besides, the children and grand children’s up bringing will ensure they will do everything they can to have family close to where they want to be.
May be I need to grow a few more gray hair to fully comprehend the point raised but at the end of the day as a parent I would want to do everything at hand to ensure better life for my children. If I end up living with them or not is for the future. Hopefully I would have done enough for the children to realize the help/support I would need when I grow older.
It isn't that simple - I think the younger you are when you move to the US the more "Americanized" you become, but when you come here as an adult (I was in my mid 30s and I am now in my late 50s) you always think of the UK as home and you feel torn.
Old Sep 20th 2010, 8:30 pm
Forum Regular

SoccerMomby2 is just really niceSoccerMomby2 is just really niceSoccerMomby2 is just really niceSoccerMomby2 is just really niceSoccerMomby2 is just really niceSoccerMomby2 is just really niceSoccerMomby2 is just really niceSoccerMomby2 is just really nice

Hmmm, I would guess you don't have children? I would have felt the same way as you 13 years ago, before I became a parent too. It's a nice CONCEPT that we do the best for our kids and hope they end up where they will thrive best, whether we are there or not. Unfortunately the heart takes over and I would say the majority of parents would like to have regular access to their children and grandchildren.
Old Sep 20th 2010, 11:56 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

As a parent of course we want want is best for our child. I am pleased that our daughter can work and live in Europe and the US...at the moment she's living and working in Canada. When I go back to the UK and see my sister's and friend's adult children popping in and out or meeting up with their parents for a meal or to go shopping...I can't help thinking how nice it would be if we were able to do that. Of course there's always the possibility that their children will move away from the UK...but then it will be their choice. It was our choice to move from the UK...not our daughter's...so maybe I will always be second guessing.
Old Sep 21st 2010, 12:27 am
Forum Regular

Rose of the Shires will become famous soon enough

To the OP- if you haven't already, you should take a look at the MBTTUK forum. There have been a few recent posts from people (me included) who are in the position which you may find yourself a few years down the line- ie. feeling 'trapped' (or at least unhappy and unsettled) abroad, and finding it difficult to move because their children are at a critical point in their education/ have grown up for the most part outside of the UK, etc.

There is no doubt that it is so much harder to move in the high school/college years. Of course our children may choose to live wherever they please when they are adults, but while the decision is yours, I would think long and hard about your move (not suggesting you aren't!).

Good luck
Rose

Last edited by Rose of the Shires; Sep 21st 2010 at 12:29 am. Reason: Not making sense
Old Sep 21st 2010, 2:29 am
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SoccerMomby2
Hmmm, I would guess you don't have children? I would have felt the same way as you 13 years ago, before I became a parent too. It's a nice CONCEPT that we do the best for our kids and hope they end up where they will thrive best, whether we are there or not. Unfortunately the heart takes over and I would say the majority of parents would like to have regular access to their children and grandchildren.
Correct - no children yet. That's why I said I respect the thought however made a comment about doing everything right by the children.

I uuderstand the OPs comment and the responses to my post.