Going alone

Old May 31st 2013, 3:30 pm
Forum Regular

Pumba NI is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Going alone

I have seen plenty of threads about people moving for family, with the other half or via an inter-company transfer but has anyone gone through the process and moved purely on their own?

I am interested to hear of your experiences of that and if any guidance can be provided, particularly around how you went about getting accommodation on first arrival, jobs and the reasons for settling in the city/town/state that you did so.

There is a lot for me to do and consider before I even get around to booking flights. I also still have the interview etc. to do, so no need to mention about getting ahead of myself.
I'm a Business Analyst by trade so I like to have a plan and be prepared as best as I can be

Keith
Old May 31st 2013, 3:37 pm
Hoppity hop...

BunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Going alone

How were you planning on getting over there if not via family/marriage or work?

AFAIK the green card lottery can take years (if ever) and even the diversity visa programme can take some time, and that's if you're eligible?
Old May 31st 2013, 4:06 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BunnyGirl
How were you planning on getting over there if not via family/marriage or work?

AFAIK the green card lottery can take years (if ever) and even the diversity visa programme can take some time, and that's if you're eligible?
She is a winner in the GC diversity lottery, and is going through the application process.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...6#post10731406
Old May 31st 2013, 4:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pumba NI
I have seen plenty of threads about people moving for family, with the other half or via an inter-company transfer but has anyone gone through the process and moved purely on their own?
I guess you're asking whether anybody moved without sponsorship, in which case that would include me. Mind you, there are probably quite a few that entered on E-2 or investment visas.

I am interested to hear of your experiences of that and if any guidance can be provided, particularly around how you went about getting accommodation on first arrival, jobs and the reasons for settling in the city/town/state that you did so.
See my blog! Link is under my name on the left of this post. In my case I stayed at my wife's cousins place for a couple of weeks until I found a place on Craigslist, moving in just a few days later.

There is a lot for me to do and consider before I even get around to booking flights. I also still have the interview etc. to do, so no need to mention about getting ahead of myself.
I'm a Business Analyst by trade so I like to have a plan and be prepared as best as I can be

Keith
We had a plan of sorts but beware that it could change easily. For example, in my first house I was expecting all sorts of issues by not having credit history - but it all happened really easily. Yet nearly a year later in our current house and we had all sorts of hurdles to overcome. It's so unpredictable.
Old May 31st 2013, 4:51 pm
Hoppity hop...

BunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
She is a winner in the GC diversity lottery, and is going through the application process.

Ah ok, I'll get me coat...
Old May 31st 2013, 9:48 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pulaski

She?!

Originally Posted by GeoffM
I guess you're asking whether anybody moved without sponsorship, in which case that would include me. Mind you, there are probably quite a few that entered on E-2 or investment visas.

See my blog! Link is under my name on the left of this post. In my case I stayed at my wife's cousins place for a couple of weeks until I found a place on Craigslist, moving in just a few days later.

Cheers Geoff I shall have a browse. And yes I am looking to hear of people's experiences without having a sponsor but also on their own. You mention you went with your wife where as I will be on my own totally, no wife, no sponsor, just me and potentially a green card, if I get it.
My main dilemma is that the family I do have are clustered in California which brings it's high living costs and labour market problems.

I do work for an oil company headquartered in Houston. So if my interview is successful I will have a chat with HR. I work with the Houston office daily at the moment so maybe I could work out something.

And before it is pointed out (as it always is here) I am aware of the significant differences between California and Texas.
Old May 31st 2013, 9:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

I wasn't sure whether the alone bit related to the visa sponsorship or just you alone! Both then, for you. Would I have done it without family? Maybe... Actually probably not as I had no inclination to move abroad; this move was triggered by my wife's cousins in LA. Had they been in Nebraska, probably not!

Several daily flights from LA area airports to IAH and HOU.
Old May 31st 2013, 10:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

I do work for an oil company headquartered in Houston. So if my interview is successful I will have a chat with HR. I work with the Houston office daily at the moment so maybe I could work out something.
If you can manage to continue working for your current employer that would, I think, be absolutely, hands down, the best way to start out. Once you have yourself established in the US you can always decide to change jobs or move elswehere but finding employment when you first arrive in the US is probably the biggest single challenge that you will face.
Old May 31st 2013, 11:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
If you can manage to continue working for your current employer that would, I think, be absolutely, hands down, the best way to start out. Once you have yourself established in the US you can always decide to change jobs or move elswehere but finding employment when you first arrive in the US is probably the biggest single challenge that you will face.
I agree. It would be pretty sweet to be able to walk off the plane and into a job.
Old May 31st 2013, 11:40 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat027 is an unknown quantity at this point

I moved on my own. I sorted the job interview all over the phone and they then sponsored me. Didn't know anyone though. I was a wreck for the first couple of weeks and this forum was a big help, but everything turned out fine in the end
Old Jun 1st 2013, 1:40 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dek
I moved on my own. I sorted the job interview all over the phone and they then sponsored me. Didn't know anyone though. I was a wreck for the first couple of weeks and this forum was a big help, but everything turned out fine in the end
Did you get sponsored after a phone interview?
Old Jun 1st 2013, 1:48 pm
Account Closed

Did you get sponsored after a phone interview?
Yeah. I had 15 years experience and a masters though, so it was probably worth it to them to take the risk and save on the flight costs for a face to face.
Old Jun 1st 2013, 8:42 pm
Forum Regular

Very nice, I only have 3 years experience and a BSc. Looking at alot of jobs that I am interested in they appear to want 5+ years.

Are there any good websites for average salaries per industry, pre state/city/county. Again after looking at some job advertisements, the salary is rarely mentioned.
Old Jun 2nd 2013, 12:47 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Are there any good websites for average salaries per industry, pre state/city/county. Again after looking at some job advertisements, the salary is rarely mentioned.
You can search out the H1B list, it states salary, company, location and job title.

You can also look at salary.com and glassdoor
Old Jun 2nd 2013, 12:55 am
Account Closed

I only know my industry I'm afraid which is games, and for that I usually look at game developer magazines salary surveys.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.