British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Glad im not in Cancun right now (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/glad-im-not-cancun-right-now-314246/)

ImHere Jul 17th 2005 1:54 pm

Re: Glad im not in Cancun right now

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Just checked the latest hurricane map - somebody in southeast Mexico is going to get it very bad, even if it doesn't hit the resort. Cancun has money to rebuild and resources to deal with casualties. If it goes a bit further west it will slap right into some places that can't afford to lose much. Not looking too good.

Meanwhile the poor folks in Taiwan are about to get hit smack on by a super typhoon of the same strengh as Emily.

Lion in Winter Jul 17th 2005 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by ImHere
Meanwhile the poor folks in Taiwan are about to get hit smack on by a super typhoon of the same strengh as Emily.

Ain't the world grand?

cindyabs Jul 17th 2005 2:03 pm

Reminds me of a bumper stick from some year's back-Jesus is coming.....and is he pissed!! Well with all the fiddling around we've done to the environment, I'd paraphrase the bumper sticker and insert Mother Nature for Jesus.

ImHere Jul 17th 2005 2:08 pm

Although did you know that tropical cyclones are actually an important part of the ecology of the planet? They are basically massive heat exchange pumps which transfer heat from the equatorial oceans up to the more higher latitudes. Without them the northern and southern zones would be several degrees cooler and unable to sustain the ecology they do now. Its just us humans now populate areas that cyclones have marched over for millions of years in our quest to live in hot tropical areas sipping pina coladas.

Its quite amazing really. If the tropical oceans change temperature by as little as 1 degree either way then cyclone formation either increases or decreases accordingly and so spreads the excess (or not in the case of a deficit) out to the higher latitudes.

cindyabs Jul 17th 2005 2:15 pm

Although did you know that tropical cyclones are actually an important part of the ecology of the planet? They are basically massive heat exchange pumps which transfer heat from the equatorial oceans up to the more higher latitudes. Without them the northern and southern zones would be several degrees cooler and unable to sustain the ecology they do now. Its just us humans now populate areas that cyclones have marched over for millions of years in our quest to live in hot tropical areas sipping pina coladas.

Its quite amazing really. If the tropical oceans change temperature by as little as 1 degree either way then cyclone formation either increases or decreases accordingly and so spreads the excess (or not in the case of a deficit) out to the higher latitudes.

Ergo, since it seemed to get hotter here earlier this year, then the waters are riper (so to speak) for formation?

Lion in Winter Jul 17th 2005 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by cindyabs
Reminds me of a bumper stick from some year's back-Jesus is coming.....and is he pissed!! Well with all the fiddling around we've done to the environment, I'd paraphrase the bumper sticker and insert Mother Nature for Jesus.

The one I saw said "and is she pissed." No further explanation necessary really. :D

ImHere Jul 17th 2005 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by cindyabs
Ergo, since it seemed to get hotter here earlier this year, then the waters are riper (so to speak) for formation?

Atlantic tropical cyclone 101 by ImHere:

Last year the tropical atlantic basin was 1 degree warmer than average. This year, so far, it is the same. Hence more formation of cyclonic activity. And more powerful cyclones when they do form since the heat pump has more energy.

Whats important to us humans is also the external factors such as upper level wind shear which - if present - can break up a cyclone and areas such as the bermuda high, which is a ridge of high pressure across the atlantic at about 20-22 degrees north. When this is foreshortened the steering currents tend to push the cyclones up past Florida to the Carolinas, when this is extended it blocks this northward movement and forces the storms more westerly across Florida and into the Gulf. Last year it extended almost to the Florida Atlantic coast and this year it appears to be doing the same.

Something which is important here is the timing. July is not a month when there is traditionally a lot of cyclonic activity in the Eastern Atlantic as it shouldnt be warm enough yet. (Remember Charlie didnt form until the middle of August?)

An average season would see approx 100 cyclone "Seedlings" in the Atlantic with about 25 of these forming depressions, 10 becoming tropical storms and 5-6 hurricanes forming from these.

June on average sees 0.1 Storms develop per year and July 0.2 storms per year. September sees on average 0.9 per year. (over a 100 year average).

Already we are on 5 named storms and 2 major hurricanes which is unprecedented. So take your guess for this september.

Personally I would expect a brief lull in activity now as the Atlantic should have been cooled a couple of degrees by Dennis and now Emily and may not have enough energy for major storm development for another couple of weeks or so. Of course I could be wrong judging by activity over Africa.

gruffbrown Jul 17th 2005 3:11 pm

Atlantic tropical cyclone 101 by ImHere:

Last year the tropical atlantic basin was 1 degree warmer than average. This year, so far, it is the same. Hence more formation of cyclonic activity. And more powerful cyclones when they do form since the heat pump has more energy.

Whats important to us humans is also the external factors such as upper level wind shear which - if present - can break up a cyclone and areas such as the bermuda high, which is a ridge of high pressure across the atlantic at about 20-22 degrees north. When this is foreshortened the steering currents tend to push the cyclones up past Florida to the Carolinas, when this is extended it blocks this northward movement and forces the storms more westerly across Florida and into the Gulf. Last year it extended almost to the Florida Atlantic coast and this year it appears to be doing the same.

Something which is important here is the timing. July is not a month when there is traditionally a lot of cyclonic activity in the Eastern Atlantic as it shouldnt be warm enough yet. (Remember Charlie didnt form until the middle of August?)

An average season would see approx 100 cyclone "Seedlings" in the Atlantic with about 25 of these forming depressions, 10 becoming tropical storms and 5-6 hurricanes forming from these.

June on average sees 0.3 Storms develop per year and July 0.5 storms per year (over a 100 year average).
Already we are on 5 named storms and 2 major hurricanes which is unprecedented.

Personally I would expect a brief lull in activity now as the Atlantic should have been cooled a couple of degrees by Dennis and now Emily and may not have enough energy for major storm development for another couple of weeks or so. Of course I could be wrong judging by activity over Africa.

http://www.e-edit.co.uk/images/cry.gif

Ray Jul 17th 2005 3:53 pm

3 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
The one I saw said "and is she pissed." No further explanation necessary really. :D

and a few more

wmoore Jul 17th 2005 3:57 pm

Ive actually never understood why people (mainly Brits) book SUMMER holidays in hot countries anyway. I mean, its SUMMER AT HOME PEOPLE! Why not book it during the British winter?

Fair point :D I've gone on hols in either Feb / Mar or Oct / Nov the last few years. Much better.

ImHere Jul 17th 2005 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by gruffbrown

Have you got a camera hidden in my house?

gruffbrown Jul 17th 2005 5:09 pm

Have you got a camera hidden in my house?

Errrrr yes I do :rolleyes:

http://www.aznraps.com/public_site/n...ages/mscam.jpg

ImHere Jul 17th 2005 5:38 pm

Aye aye.
Whats all this happening here then? Been skimming Japanese schoolgirl sites have we?

gruffbrown Jul 17th 2005 5:42 pm

Aye aye.
Whats all this happening here then? Been skimming Japanese schoolgirl sites have we?

I just googled 'webcam' officer, honest...

ImHere Jul 17th 2005 5:52 pm

I just googled 'webcam' officer, honest...

Thats what they all say sonny. Come on quietly now. Lets be having you. No, dont struggle....I said...Im warning you...dont do that! Right! Thats it! <THWACK> Mind your head.