Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

giz a job.. !

giz a job.. !

Old Oct 14th 2004, 10:39 am
BE Forum Addict

CalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really nice
Default Re: giz a job.. !

I'd say don't bother. American employers know better than most that immigration is a crapshoot that can go wrong at any time, and take years to get sorted. They won't touch you until you've landed, visa and EAD in hand. Even if they did contact you at this point, you couldn't follow up with anything substantial, because you have no idea when you're going to be there.

If I absolutely had to do something to feel useful right now, I'd just start doing some research and building lists of prospective firms to target when you arrive. Perhaps try and get a few names and email addresses too.

Don't take it the wrong way; I'm in very much the same boat myself, albeit I'm here twiddling my thumbs waiting for an EAD, rather than the other side of the pond.
Old Oct 14th 2004, 4:40 pm
Forum Regular

Big Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: giz a job.. !

Originally Posted by torpkevuk
Thanks for taking the time to reply (and everyone else, but if i quote everyone this post will stretch a good few pages. heh)

I'll redo my cv and get back to pestering them.. may as well get a dialpad account set up too, be a bit cheaper than that quip thing you mentioned, i just have to learn how to use it. oh well

Thanks guys, any more tips, keep em coming
Most of all, don't give up, get used to rejection. After my first H1 fell through at the last minute it took nearly three years to get another opportunity. In that time I sent out literally thousands of cold call resumes. If I got an answer to 5% that was a good result, even if they were saying no, at least I was above the horizon.

It only takes one to say yes.