Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

giz a job.. !

giz a job.. !

Old Oct 13th 2004, 7:27 pm
Scouse Git

torpkevuk is a name known to alltorpkevuk is a name known to alltorpkevuk is a name known to alltorpkevuk is a name known to alltorpkevuk is a name known to alltorpkevuk is a name known to alltorpkevuk is a name known to alltorpkevuk is a name known to alltorpkevuk is a name known to alltorpkevuk is a name known to alltorpkevuk is a name known to all
Default giz a job.. !

I'm waiting on my interview date so I can get on out to Nebraska and get married (hopefully before christmas) anyone got any tips for me regarding looking for gainful employment there? I've tried some job-sites etc, but noone seems to keen on replying to me because I'm still over in the UK.. Hell I never went through the Norfolk (NE) chamber of commerce website and mailed a few of the companies on there requesting to be kept on file.. Total replies = 1.

So any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old Oct 13th 2004, 7:30 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: giz a job.. !

Originally Posted by torpkevuk
I'm waiting on my interview date so I can get on out to Nebraska and get married (hopefully before christmas) anyone got any tips for me regarding looking for gainful employment there? I've tried some job-sites etc, but noone seems to keen on replying to me because I'm still over in the UK.. Hell I never went through the Norfolk (NE) chamber of commerce website and mailed a few of the companies on there requesting to be kept on file.. Total replies = 1.

Thanks
They're probably still passed out on the floor after they realised a scouser was actively looking for a job.

Last edited by Manc; Oct 13th 2004 at 7:32 pm.
Old Oct 13th 2004, 7:38 pm
Gotta have more cowbell

HoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond repute

http://cbs.sportsline.com/collegefoo...1009_NE@TXTECH
Maybe the Cornhuskers will be looking for a new coach?

Last edited by HoosierDaddy; Oct 13th 2004 at 7:41 pm.
Old Oct 13th 2004, 7:40 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: giz a job.. !

Thanks
All I can suggest whilst your on the other side of the pond is to work on your CV/resume and make it so that the reader cannot distinguish your CV/resume from an American's (except when he/she notices the locatin of where you were educated and your previous work history).

If you work in a particular field, it might be worth checking to see if the field is represented by a professional body. Jobs might be posted on the site that you can access for free.

You're probably aware that hiring starts to slow down from November onwards due to Thanksgiving and Christmas. However, you may want to consider seasonal work until the New Year.

Best of luck,
Old Oct 13th 2004, 7:41 pm
Scouse Git

torpkevuk is a name known to alltorpkevuk is a name known to alltorpkevuk is a name known to alltorpkevuk is a name known to alltorpkevuk is a name known to alltorpkevuk is a name known to alltorpkevuk is a name known to alltorpkevuk is a name known to alltorpkevuk is a name known to alltorpkevuk is a name known to alltorpkevuk is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Manc
They're probably still passed out on the floor after they realised a scouser was actively looking for a job.
ha ha :P

i never told them i was a scouser.. not that daft :P
Old Oct 13th 2004, 7:44 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

1 reply, that's not bad going...
Old Oct 13th 2004, 7:45 pm
Scouse Git

Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy
http://cbs.sportsline.com/collegefoo...1009_NE@TXTECH
Maybe the Cornhuskers will be looking for a new coach?
Yeh.. my fiancee was so disgusted she changed outta her husker's shirt halfway through apparently. Least I couldn't get blamed for being a jinx this time (they got beat by PA when i was there a couple years ago.. and thats where i'd been working [J1 visa])

QUOTE=NC Penguin]All I can suggest whilst your on the other side of the pond is to work on your CV/resume and make it so that the reader cannot distinguish your CV/resume from an American's (except when he/she notices the locatin of where you were educated and your previous work history).

If you work in a particular field, it might be worth checking to see if the field is represented by a professional body. Jobs might be posted on the site that you can access for free.

You're probably aware that hiring starts to slow down from November onwards due to Thanksgiving and Christmas. However, you may want to consider seasonal work until the New Year.

Best of luck,[/QUOTE]

To be honest with ya NC Penguin, at the moment, I'd take any kind of work, just to get earning ya know. Though I'm initially from an engineering background (mostly computers) and more recently (last 2 years) the security industry [no jokes please manc :P] the management and admin side of things however, not the actually walkin up and down with a torch. So I really dont know what to go for, like i say.. its a small damn town
Old Oct 13th 2004, 7:46 pm
Scouse Git

Originally Posted by Bob
1 reply, that's not bad going...
a reply saying they have no positions, did give me an email addy from a counterpart in the next town over, but they never got back to me..
Old Oct 13th 2004, 8:11 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
Manc you're a b@st@rd, a funny one though!
Old Oct 13th 2004, 9:16 pm
Forum Regular

Big Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks

Don't forget to redo your resume so that fits on US Letter size paper. When I first started looking I sent out a huge mailshot in A4 format, and then realised that if anyone in the US tried to print it off all the formatting and layout would be all over the place. Doh!

Change any spellings to americanese too - defence/defense etc., evidently that helps too.

If you're really serious, start trawling the web - find companies in the area you're looking for, go onto their web sites and find the careers/jobs section (usually under About Us or Corporate or something similar) and get the email address of the HR dept. Send a nice cover letter (tailored to their company for preference) and with a Word copy of your (now US) resume attached. Get a Quip phone account (3.5p a minute to the US) and call up likely companies and ask for the name and email address of the main recruiter, the personal touch alsways helps cos companies get zillions of unsolicited resumes and anything that makes yours not look like spam will help.

I compiled huge databases of companies like that, and mailshotted (is that a word??) them on a regular basis until something stuck.

Call up companies and pester them. One thing I did was look on Jobserve in the UK - when you see an advert for a UK subsidiary of a US company advertised, call up the person in the advert and explain that you're not applying for that position but you're looking for something with the parent company, and would they pass on your resume to the HR people in the US, usually they're happy to oblige...

Look in the web based phone Yellow Pages for the city you want to be in, get a list of recruitment agencies in that city and get your resume out to them as well.

Hope this helps
Old Oct 13th 2004, 10:35 pm
Forum Regular

Scorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of light

As mentioned above, check your resume against US versions. Google for examples.

I turned up at work at 7am as normal, late in August, to find the office doors locked. The company filed for bankruptcy and ceased operations a week or so later, so suddenly I was an unemployed bum with a half-built house and a buggered H1 visa.

Fortunately for me, I'd already applied for my green card, and my EAD turned up in mid September, but suddenly I'm back out looking for a job again, with very few contacts (which seem to play an even bigger part to job seeking here than in the UK).

I spent about a month sending out updated copies of my CV, but getting no replies at all. It was then I spent an evening writing a resume in the style of some I'd found on a job seeker's website. This has actually generated some responses, and now I'm through to the technical interview stages at two companies.

I don't think the lack of replies is purely because you're in the UK - it seems to be the norm, regardless of how rude it is!
Old Oct 13th 2004, 10:59 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scorchio
I don't think the lack of replies is purely because you're in the UK - it seems to be the norm, regardless of how rude it is!
Well they get a lot of emails and the like so they don't normally bother...
but it's worth following up with an email or a phone call after after a week.
I sent out about 50 emails last year and only got a hand ful of replies and two rejection letters, which made my day
Old Oct 14th 2004, 12:21 am
UK & US Citizen

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBride
Manc you're a b@st@rd, a funny one though!
funny looking
Old Oct 14th 2004, 2:35 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ScousePete
funny looking
never seen a chain cigar smoking baby before?
Old Oct 14th 2004, 8:04 am
Scouse Git

Originally Posted by Big Vern
Don't forget to redo your resume so that fits on US Letter size paper. When I first started looking I sent out a huge mailshot in A4 format, and then realised that if anyone in the US tried to print it off all the formatting and layout would be all over the place. Doh!

Change any spellings to americanese too - defence/defense etc., evidently that helps too.

If you're really serious, start trawling the web - find companies in the area you're looking for, go onto their web sites and find the careers/jobs section (usually under About Us or Corporate or something similar) and get the email address of the HR dept. Send a nice cover letter (tailored to their company for preference) and with a Word copy of your (now US) resume attached. Get a Quip phone account (3.5p a minute to the US) and call up likely companies and ask for the name and email address of the main recruiter, the personal touch alsways helps cos companies get zillions of unsolicited resumes and anything that makes yours not look like spam will help.

I compiled huge databases of companies like that, and mailshotted (is that a word??) them on a regular basis until something stuck.

Call up companies and pester them. One thing I did was look on Jobserve in the UK - when you see an advert for a UK subsidiary of a US company advertised, call up the person in the advert and explain that you're not applying for that position but you're looking for something with the parent company, and would they pass on your resume to the HR people in the US, usually they're happy to oblige...

Look in the web based phone Yellow Pages for the city you want to be in, get a list of recruitment agencies in that city and get your resume out to them as well.

Hope this helps
Thanks for taking the time to reply (and everyone else, but if i quote everyone this post will stretch a good few pages. heh)

I'll redo my cv and get back to pestering them.. may as well get a dialpad account set up too, be a bit cheaper than that quip thing you mentioned, i just have to learn how to use it. oh well

Thanks guys, any more tips, keep em coming

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.