Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Getting work in TV production in the US?

Getting work in TV production in the US?

Old Jun 11th 2010, 3:31 pm
Just Joined

Just Married is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Getting work in TV production in the US?

Hi All

Hopefully someone can give me some information.

I got married last month to my USC and we are about to start the visa applications - he's US Military and is based in the US. Once the visa has been approved I'll be moving over to be with him but I just wondered if anyone had any advice regarding getting work within TV production over there? I work for the biggest broadcasting company in the UK and its taken me 7 years of hard work to get to where I am now....the thought of moving to the US and having to be the drive-thru manager of Taco Bell (not that there is anything wrong with this career choice!!) scares the absolute life out of me....I wouldnt be happy :-(

Eventually we are hoping to get stationed over in California whereby my chances of working in TV are obviously higher owing to the amount of jobs they would have there but what about somewhere like the deep south of Mississippi? I am assuming all they would have there, work-wise, would be a local news station or something? Am I wrong in thinking this? And if so, how easy are jobs like that to come by, or is it a case of "who you know" like it sometimes is here?

Sorry for all the questions but best to be realistic before I make the big move!
Old Jun 11th 2010, 3:36 pm
Ginger Monkey

Gingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting work in TV production in the US?

Originally Posted by Just Married
Hi All

I got married last month to my USC and we are about to start the visa applications - he's US Military and is based in the US. Once the visa has been approved I'll be moving over to be with him but I just wondered if anyone had any advice regarding getting work within TV production over there? I work for the biggest broadcasting company in the UK and its taken me 7 years of hard work to get to where I am now....the thought of moving to the US and having to be the drive-thru manager of Taco Bell (not that there is anything wrong with this career choice!!) scares the absolute life out of me....I wouldnt be happy :-(

Eventually we are hoping to get stationed over in California whereby my chances of working in TV are obviously higher owing to the amount of jobs they would have there but what about somewhere like the deep south of Mississippi? I am assuming all they would have there, work-wise, would be a local news station or something? Am I wrong in thinking this? And if so, how easy are jobs like that to come by, or is it a case of "who you know" like it sometimes is here?

Sorry for all the questions but best to be realistic before I make the big move!
Ah... local news. There's something very special about a half hour segment devoted to a stray chicken causing havoc with downtown traffic.

I'm afraid I've no idea about getting a job in broadcasting though. It all sounds far too glamorous for someone like me. Sorry I can't help!
Old Jun 11th 2010, 3:37 pm
Just Joined

No worries but you did make me laugh :-)
Old Jun 11th 2010, 3:38 pm
Account Closed

goldenstate31 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All

welcome to BE what kind of work in TV? its really broad, could you narrow it down...i.e journalism, actor, camera man, lighting, props etc etc
Old Jun 11th 2010, 3:40 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Golden

My job title is Production Co-Ordinator. It translates well over to the States as they have the same job title and I am guessing its pretty much the same role.......
Old Jun 11th 2010, 3:46 pm
Account Closed

Thanks Golden

My job title is Production Co-Ordinator. It translates well over to the States as they have the same job title and I am guessing its pretty much the same role.......
oh I see
I take it you dont need to be a member of AEA? to work in the US in productionNot sure, I know you do for actors/actresses
but not sure for production co -ordinator
Old Jun 11th 2010, 3:49 pm
Just Joined

Im guessing that must stand for American Equity Association or something...?

No thankfully, I work behind the scenes, not in front
Old Jun 11th 2010, 3:52 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Golden

Then you won't need to get the hair-do, nor have your body surgically altered so your head is over-proportioned to your petite body.

TG for small mercies, eh?
Old Jun 11th 2010, 6:22 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Then you won't need to get the hair-do, nor have your body surgically altered so your head is over-proportioned to your petite body.

TG for small mercies, eh?
no lipo, no botox and certainly no veeners
Old Jun 11th 2010, 6:22 pm
Account Closed

thats good that you dont need the card
Old Jun 11th 2010, 9:22 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Don't worry, you probably won't be the manager of the taco bell either

But have a search, there's two or three pretty decent threads about working in media. One of them was a bit more Boston orientated though, but still had good info.

Basically tap all your contacts on LinkedIn is your best bet.