Reload this Page >

Getting there?

Getting there?

Old Mar 4th 2004, 4:09 pm
Just Joined

TimReece is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Getting there?

to all who have "done it".!!
What is the process of gaining acceptance/visa application and the rest......................
There maybe a chance of inter- company transfer, but don't for sure yet, based available positions and timings.
Is there an alternative to gain access to the US, for a production manager with 20yrs experience etc in the food industry.
I am married with three children 16,12 and 3.
I will also have money to invest.

Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Tim
Old Mar 4th 2004, 4:33 pm
Forum Regular

Heather1111 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Getting there?

Originally posted by TimReece
to all who have "done it".!!
What is the process of gaining acceptance/visa application and the rest......................
There maybe a chance of inter- company transfer, but don't for sure yet, based available positions and timings.
Is there an alternative to gain access to the US, for a production manager with 20yrs experience etc in the food industry.
I am married with three children 16,12 and 3.
I will also have money to invest.

Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Tim
I've got 15 years in similar fields. Unless you can speak spanish or have a four year degree I wouldn't come out here without a job and expect to work in the field you're in.

Posted under my wife's name. OOOPS!
Old Mar 4th 2004, 4:56 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Is there an alternative to gain access to the US,
Divorce the wife, get married to a chick over here and the best thing is, The CSA won't be able to touch you child support.

sorted.......

What?

well he did ask for alternative
Old Mar 4th 2004, 5:24 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

An intra-company transfer (L1 & L2 for dependants) is certainly a quick and easy way to get into the States. I hear that this year's quota of H1B visas have already been allocated.

You can get a job offer with the US arm of your company and if you agree to the terms and conditions, it's possible to be in possession of your visa in 6-8 weeks. It entails a visit to the US Embassy in London with your spouse (but not the kids) for a (5 minute) interview. The visas are issued for 3 years initially. I hear that L1-B visas can be issued for a max of 6 years, but L1-A visas (for execs and senior managers in MNCs) are definitely issued for a max of 7 years; eg. 3+2+2.

Also it's currently very quick to get a Green Card with the L1 visas. However, I've heard that since it's harder for Indian nationals to now come in on H1Bs, they're now 'setting up' companies in the States to bring in people from India on L1s instead.

It would be difficult for a 16 year old to go into the US education system as she would be too far ahead of the American kids; what they do at High School to graduate at 18 is the same level as what a 16 year old would be in the UK. (We were very aware of this when our daughter had an American boyfriend at the age of 16 and one day was looking at his schoolwork; she saw his maths text book and said it was work she was doing at the age of 14!). As we weren't on immigrant visas, our daughter went to boarding school in England for "A" levels instead. You might also want to look into the cost of higher education as it is higher than in the UK...you may also be charged the international student fees for your eldest (very steep indeed) unless you have been resident in the US for at least one year.
Old Mar 5th 2004, 6:36 am
Just Joined

Thankyou for the advice ; Englishmum.
I assume for a 5 minute interview, general questions? or specifics.

.....and also once you've gained L1+L2, a green card application could follow?

Tim
Old Mar 5th 2004, 6:40 am
Just Joined

Originally posted by manc1976
Divorce the wife, get married to a chick over here and the best thing is, The CSA won't be able to touch you child support.

sorted.......

What?

Divorce has entered my mind, sometimes............but even more, now you've mentioned a "chick".

Tim
Old Mar 5th 2004, 10:27 am
Forum Regular

Caligirl4ever is just really niceCaligirl4ever is just really niceCaligirl4ever is just really niceCaligirl4ever is just really niceCaligirl4ever is just really niceCaligirl4ever is just really niceCaligirl4ever is just really niceCaligirl4ever is just really niceCaligirl4ever is just really niceCaligirl4ever is just really nice

Originally posted by manc1976

sorted.......

What?

Hi Manc, not true..check out this url:

http://www.csa.gov.uk/newcsaweb/remo.asp

The CSA has a reciprocal enforcement of maintenance orders with many other countries listed on the webpage...which includes the US.

Please correct me if I am wrong as I am doing research on this subject as I speak.

Hugs,
Cali
Old Mar 5th 2004, 2:52 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Caligirl4ever
Hi Manc, not true..check out this url:

http://www.csa.gov.uk/newcsaweb/remo.asp

The CSA has a reciprocal enforcement of maintenance orders with many other countries listed on the webpage...which includes the US.

Please correct me if I am wrong as I am doing research on this subject as I speak.

Hugs,
Cali
I was only having the crack, but the CSA are tigers, it doesn't surprise me they have some reciprical arrangement.
Old Mar 5th 2004, 3:10 pm
Forum Regular

Caligirl4ever is just really niceCaligirl4ever is just really niceCaligirl4ever is just really niceCaligirl4ever is just really niceCaligirl4ever is just really niceCaligirl4ever is just really niceCaligirl4ever is just really niceCaligirl4ever is just really niceCaligirl4ever is just really niceCaligirl4ever is just really nice

You are too funny, yeah, when I read the CSA website I was like what the ****! Anyways............
Old Mar 6th 2004, 5:14 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Divorce has entered my mind, sometimes............but even more, now you've mentioned a "chick".

Tim
I think that it depends on the part of the country, but round here a British accent makes the "chicks" swoon! I've been here two years and the novelty of hearing "I just luuurve your accent!" hasn't worn off yet, .... most recently a couple of weeks ago, from a waitress in a restaurant - with my wife sitting opposite me!
Old Mar 6th 2004, 1:20 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

Thankyou for the advice ; Englishmum.
I assume for a 5 minute interview, general questions? or specifics.

.....and also once you've gained L1+L2, a green card application could follow?

Tim
To be honest, I can't really remember the questions at all! I don't think they even asked me anything, my husband Pete did all the talking! I think I probably just signed a couple of forms. The staff at the US Embassy were very pleasant (this was in Singapore) and from what I do seem to remember, it was just some general stuff about my husband's company and to confirm what sort of work he would be doing in the States.

If your company is willing to sponsor you for a green card, then yes you can apply for one - but it's best to be working in the States for at least a year before even thinking about applying - and do not mention it at your interview as you must not give the impression that you have immigration intent.