Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Getting my American son a British passport

Getting my American son a British passport

Old Sep 5th 2008, 9:34 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting my American son a British passport

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
I keep hearing this argument and can see that a passport is more likely to be lost/stolen/whatever than a birth certificate. But unless the British Government fails to keep records of previously issued passports, is it really a big deal getting one replaced under those circumstances?
yes, because you'll then need proof and the proof without the birth cert becomes a hassle, you'll need your parents long birth certs and passport etc and that's a hassle and even bigger once they are dead.

Your unlikely to lose both passport and birt cert after all.
Old Sep 5th 2008, 9:52 am
\o/

OiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bob
Birth certs don't state citizenship generally over here, so it's worth getting it registered, makes it easier for the kid down the line to show proof they can get a Brit passport if they lose theirs and your dead, simple as that really.
sorry my reply wasn't very clear at all. To clarify, i agree with the value of registering kids. What i was asking was why would you want a copy of the entry? Do you need a copy for your kids to actually apply for a passport?

In which case the fee is in 3 parts you pay to register the kids, then you pay to get a copy of the entry so they can actually apply for the passport and then you pay the passport application fee?
Old Sep 5th 2008, 10:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
yes, because you'll then need proof and the proof without the birth cert becomes a hassle, you'll need your parents long birth certs and passport etc and that's a hassle and even bigger once they are dead.

Your unlikely to lose both passport and birt cert after all.
You are also unlikely to lose both a passport and a previously expired passport. I can see the usefulness up to the point of a first renewal, but I am less convinced of it after that point.
Old Sep 5th 2008, 1:58 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

I keep hearing this argument and can see that a passport is more likely to be lost/stolen/whatever than a birth certificate. But unless the British Government fails to keep records of previously issued passports, is it really a big deal getting one replaced under those circumstances?
The General Register Office is good at record keeping. That's its job.

I have come across other cases where passport records have proved unobtainable. Either lost, destroyed or the authorities just can't be bothered to go and look.
Old Sep 7th 2008, 4:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm inclined to think like that also. I believe in the beauty of the photocopier personally....lose your passport and get a hard time about it - send them the photocopy clearly displaying the number along with all other proof.

I find it hard to believe that with that info, there would no records whatsoever of a passport being issued. In fact, I'd perhaps even go so far as to say that if they were lost, chances are your consular birth certificate records might be lost also.
Old Sep 7th 2008, 4:21 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan725
I find it hard to believe that with that info, there would no records whatsoever of a passport being issued. In fact, I'd perhaps even go so far as to say that if they were lost, chances are your consular birth certificate records might be lost also.
Less likely because:

1. Consular birth registration records are kept by a different government department.

2. The GRO is good at keeping records.

I find it really amusing how so many people are vehemently against the idea of consular birth registration. When one considers how much hassle it saves later on.
Old Sep 7th 2008, 4:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Less likely because:

1. Consular birth registration records are kept by a different government department.

2. The GRO is good at keeping records.

I find it really amusing how so many people are vehemently against the idea of consular birth registration. When one considers how much hassle it saves later on.
I wouldn't say vehemently, I guess I simply can't see "the hassle later on" if the passport is in possession. I hear you about the record keeping and all, and I understand the benefit of "Having a foot in two places" so to speak, but not sure about it causing a hassle. Must admit not looked massively far into it, but what are the requirements, say, for applying for a UK national insurance number? Do you need the cons birth cert for that? Effectively it is all about creating some sort of paper trail.
Old Sep 7th 2008, 4:49 am
JAJ
Retired

I wouldn't say vehemently, I guess I simply can't see "the hassle later on" if the passport is in possession. I hear you about the record keeping and all, and I understand the benefit of "Having a foot in two places" so to speak, but not sure about it causing a hassle. Must admit not looked massively far into it, but what are the requirements, say, for applying for a UK national insurance number? Do you need the cons birth cert for that? Effectively it is all about creating some sort of paper trail.
If passport is lost, then a photocopy is not normally acceptable as evidence. Full proof of British citizenship is needed from scratch.

Or do you really want yourself or your child trying to argue this one with a consular official? (even assuming they will speak to you).
Old Sep 7th 2008, 5:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by JAJ
If passport is lost, then a photocopy is not normally acceptable as evidence. Full proof of British citizenship is needed from scratch.

Or do you really want yourself or your child trying to argue this one with a consular official? (even assuming they will speak to you).
Its not I know....but the number on it most likely would prove very useful....unless the records are lost by the govt.....and round we go again....but so long as the parents birth certificate is available its all the same.

I may get one yet for my daughter; but it really is hard to see the need to spend 184 dollars if its going to be a largely redundant piece of paper. I am aware its a small amount of money long term and so on; but I just don't know.

Potentially it has some merit in Bob's disaster scenario, but only, if I am reading it right, if the parents (my) documents are also lost or unavailable.
Old Sep 7th 2008, 5:12 am
JAJ
Retired

Its not I know....but the number on it most likely would prove very useful....unless the records are lost by the govt.....and round we go again....but so long as the parents birth certificate is available its all the same.
Some jurisdictions (not yet in the U.K.) forbid children from obtaining a copy of the parent's birth or marriage certificates on so-called "privacy" grounds.
Old Sep 7th 2008, 5:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by JAJ
Some jurisdictions (not yet in the U.K.) forbid children from obtaining a copy of the parent's birth or marriage certificates on so-called "privacy" grounds.
It may well come in though; what with "privacy" big news and on the rise constantly.

As stated, I may well end up just going ahead and getting one of these bloody consular certificates as every time its raised I have to put energy into thinking about it so its obviously "Something I should do" - but to be honest I think in practical terms it#;; probably be precisely for that peace of mind as opposed to a true realistic scenario.