Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Getting a license and car in the USA

Getting a license and car in the USA

Old Mar 15th 2011, 11:57 am
Forum Regular

guitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Getting a license and car in the USA

Hi there. My wife and I will be moving out to Florida sometime soon, and will need to establish ourselves. Obviously getting transport is a necessity. My question is, what sequence of hoops should I jump through?

I have a UK full driving license, and my wife has a US license, though hers is from Chicago. I know different states have different requirements. We'll need to buy a car, insure it, tax it etc and we'll need to satisfy the Florida license requirements.

This throws up some issues. Do we need a Florida license before we can purchase a car? Do we need insurance before we buy a car or can that come after? Will the car have to be in my wifes name since I will only be resident on a visa?

It'll be mind bending I'm sure, so any advice is more than welcome. Maybe you've been through all this already?
Old Mar 15th 2011, 3:35 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting a license and car in the USA

Originally Posted by guitarmaan
... and my wife has a US license, though hers is from Chicago.
Well, Illinois... but I understand what you mean!

Do we need a Florida license before we can purchase a car?
No.

Do we need insurance before we buy a car or can that come after?
You'll want insurance before you drive the car off the lot.

Will the car have to be in my wifes name since I will only be resident on a visa?
That depends... what visa will you have? Is this a transfer through an employer, or did your wife file an I-130 for you?

Ian
Old Mar 15th 2011, 5:28 pm
Forum Regular

guitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the info. My wife will be filing an I-130 this year.
Old Mar 15th 2011, 5:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of light

Then it'll depend on your definition of "soon" as to when you'll be settling in Florida .

When I moved out here (NV) and we needed a second car (which happened before I got my license because we were waiting for the social security card etc), we bought, my wife put both our names on the title but only her drivers license number and nobody batted an eyelid. Of course we had insurance and everything sorted out already as in NV the seller keeps the plates and you either need to register the car or get a movement permit, both of which you can't get without proof of insurance.
Old Mar 15th 2011, 6:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Redwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Well, Illinois... but I understand what you mean!
Some time ago, we had a guy in maintenance who worked part time as a police officer in the local rural town. One day he stopped an out of town driver for speeding, and asked him where he was from. He was told Chicago. He then said "If you're from Chicago, how come you've got an Illinois tag?" He never lived that down, but he was a darned good electrician.
Old Mar 15th 2011, 7:00 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Will the car have to be in my wifes name since I will only be resident on a visa?
This is a little tangential to your questions but I think it will help: http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Immigrant_Visa_Arrival

At the bottom of the article are several links to the pages that explain what your new status in the US will be. While you wont' be exactly the 'same' as your wife (citizen), a Permanent Resident is just that, permanently resident in the US and allowed to do just about everything but vote and run for president.

You can own a car, and register it etc. For Florida specific questions, you need to get familiar with the DMV for that state. You will find most things MUCH easier if you get a driving license first. Your wife also needs to do this. A DL here is much more than a license to drive, it is the primary form of ID and is used more than you probably think.
Old Mar 15th 2011, 11:14 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

In that case, the day you enter the US you will become a US permanent resident (= green card). You won't be "on a visa".

Ian
Old Mar 16th 2011, 12:14 am
Forum Regular

Some great info here. Thanks all!

ps-I take the point about Chicago & Illinois. I'll have to watch that in future

Last edited by guitarmaan; Mar 16th 2011 at 12:27 am.