Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Getting a job offer?

Getting a job offer?

Old Jul 12th 2017, 1:45 pm
Just Joined

team6 has a reputation beyond reputeteam6 has a reputation beyond reputeteam6 has a reputation beyond reputeteam6 has a reputation beyond reputeteam6 has a reputation beyond reputeteam6 has a reputation beyond reputeteam6 has a reputation beyond reputeteam6 has a reputation beyond reputeteam6 has a reputation beyond reputeteam6 has a reputation beyond reputeteam6 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Getting a job offer?

Hey

I was wondering how do you go around get a job offer in your feild of work in the USA...can you put your cv on a dedicated site? Or have to apply individually? Any advice would be great!

Leanne
Old Jul 12th 2017, 1:49 pm
Forum Regular

fbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting a job offer?

You ensure your CV is formatted the American way and then there are several ways to go about searching for a job depending on your field. For many professional field, you can use LinkedIn, Indeed and also go to individual company sites if you have specific companies you'd like to work for and see if they have anything.
Old Jul 12th 2017, 1:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

How? A combination of legwork and luck! There is no 'magic bullet' to getting a job in the US.

You are, however, at a disadvantage looking from the UK because of the time and cost involved in the prospective employer applying for a visa for you (you can't do it yourself!) unless you are in an occupation that is desperately needed and for which it is difficult to find qualified people.

What is your 'field of work' and what are your qualifications and experience?? Some occupations have more chance of success than others.

Have you read the Wiki at the top of the USA page?
Old Jul 12th 2017, 1:55 pm
Just Joined

team6 has a reputation beyond reputeteam6 has a reputation beyond reputeteam6 has a reputation beyond reputeteam6 has a reputation beyond reputeteam6 has a reputation beyond reputeteam6 has a reputation beyond reputeteam6 has a reputation beyond reputeteam6 has a reputation beyond reputeteam6 has a reputation beyond reputeteam6 has a reputation beyond reputeteam6 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fbf2006
You ensure your CV is formatted the American way and then there are several ways to go about searching for a job depending on your field. For many professional field, you can use LinkedIn, Indeed and also go to individual company sites if you have specific companies you'd like to work for and see if they have anything.
Hey
I would like to say that was a nice friendly reply..sometimes I read peoples replies and think ffs they only asked a question lol

It would be my husband who works in IT ..not got a company in mind..we have a family petition in the now but it's going that slow that I worry my oldest will be over 16 and make the mistake she doesn't want to go. So I thought maybe try this then I have done everything I can to get out of that happening. Thanks again
Old Jul 12th 2017, 2:35 pm
Forum Regular

fbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond repute

No problem. I know what you mean .
Old Jul 12th 2017, 3:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

PetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by team6
we have a family petition in the now but it's going that slow that I worry my oldest will be over 16 and make the mistake she doesn't want to go.
Honestly, I would recommend she finishes education in the UK.. Much faster, cheaper, and once she's done, come over to the US if she wishes. Purely personal opinion of course, the University system in the UK has a lot of pluses, especially if she is interested in professional degrees (Medicine, Vet Med etc...), since these do not have a Bachelor prerequisite in the UK vs the US...

Just a thought..
Old Jul 12th 2017, 8:10 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by PetrifiedExPat
Honestly, I would recommend she finishes education in the UK.. Much faster, cheaper, and once she's done, come over to the US if she wishes. Purely personal opinion of course, the University system in the UK has a lot of pluses, especially if she is interested in professional degrees (Medicine, Vet Med etc...), since these do not have a Bachelor prerequisite in the UK vs the US...

Just a thought..
Well if only it was that easy...when family petition comes up I can't delay it...studying here comes at a cost aswel tho?
Old Jul 12th 2017, 8:13 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Guindalf
How? A combination of legwork and luck! There is no 'magic bullet' to getting a job in the US.

You are, however, at a disadvantage looking from the UK because of the time and cost involved in the prospective employer applying for a visa for you (you can't do it yourself!) unless you are in an occupation that is desperately needed and for which it is difficult to find qualified people.

What is your 'field of work' and what are your qualifications and experience?? Some occupations have more chance of success than others.

Have you read the Wiki at the top of the USA page?
Hey
I don't mind the hard work trying at all if it's meant to be it will happen if not I will have to wait..he does IT..I just don't know where to start
Thanks