Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Getting a job

Getting a job

Old Mar 25th 2004, 9:58 pm
Just Joined

blueedge is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Getting a job

Hi, anyone had a hard time getting a job over here in the states?
I'm here officially, being married to an American, so I'm trying to do thing above board.
It's not really because there is a shortage in my line of work, because I'd be happy doing anything right now, and I have been going after a wide range of jobs, being that I'm pretty versitile.

After the rejections I've had, part of me wonders if it's my being british, or my british way.

Have any of you figured if employers over here look for a certain type of person? Or just got any tips in general?

Thanks, --Alan.
Old Mar 25th 2004, 10:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

bromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to behold

I know when I was going for interviews I would always be asked how long I was planning to stay in the States and when I was thinking about moving back to the UK.

I also had one interview where they asked me if we used Microsoft products in the UK

I actually ended up stating on my resume my status i.e. my citizenship and the type of visa so as not to be looked over and also to use American terminology in my resume.

I also learnt to tone down my personality at interviews as I know when I had brought up about going to the pub for lunch in previous interviews it basically put an end to my chances. I find that American's especially here in the midwest are uptight and so PC so you really can't have a british sense of humour and joke around with them at work at all.
Old Mar 26th 2004, 12:18 am
Corpsicle

nathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the rough

I spent the better part of my first EAD's duration looking for work without any luck. The only places that ever responded to my résumé were temp agencies, which to me were fast becoming a complete waste of time and effort. As one interviewer at an NYC agency said, "Your lack of a green card is going to make it impossible for you to find a job".

At what was going to be my last temp agency registration, as I'd had enough of them at that point, but they were so impressed with my test scores and interview that I was asked to attend a same-day interview with the assistant director for an internal position, and then one with the vice president. I must have had a positive impression on them, because I was back in for a second interview before the week was out, and offered a admin job at the end of that.

They took a gamble on me, and for that I'm truly grateful, in return, I'm one of the most productive members of staff they have.
Old Mar 26th 2004, 2:09 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting a job

Originally posted by blueedge
..... Or just got any tips in general?
There are almost as many different experiences of getting hired in the US as their are members on this board. Please tell us more about what you do, what skills and qualifications you have, and what you have been applying for and then I'm sure that you'll get more specific, and useful, advice.

For starters, have you "Americanized" your "resume" - they are different, possibly radically so, from a British style CV.