Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Getting into US health care system

Getting into US health care system

Old Jan 12th 2013, 5:47 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting into US health care system

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Looks like the OP is in your neck of the woods. Are there any state mandates for medical cover as there are in Ma?
No mandates. You have to be sh!t poor for the state Medicaid program -- ACCHS. PCIP (the Obamacare interim plan) is only available after 6 months without insurance. Though it's a great and very affordable plan (I'm on it myself!), it disappears in 2014 as the main Obamacare legislation cuts in.

If OP is in Maricopa and needs medical care without insurance, she needs to go here: www.mihs.org. She'll be fleeced, but not totally fleeced.
Old Jan 12th 2013, 7:11 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
No mandates. You have to be sh!t poor for the state Medicaid program -- ACCHS. PCIP (the Obamacare interim plan) is only available after 6 months without insurance. Though it's a great and very affordable plan (I'm on it myself!), it disappears in 2014 as the main Obamacare legislation cuts in.

If OP is in Maricopa and needs medical care without insurance, she needs to go here: www.mihs.org. She'll be fleeced, but not totally fleeced.
Even if she were dirt poor, isn't she the responsibility of the person/people who sponsored her visa and not eligible for programs for so many years or has that bit been done away with. I know my Dh had to sign stuff making him responsible when we got married and applied for my green card.
Old Jan 12th 2013, 7:52 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Even if she were dirt poor, isn't she the responsibility of the person/people who sponsored her visa and not eligible for programs for so many years or has that bit been done away with. I know my Dh had to sign stuff making him responsible when we got married and applied for my green card.
You certainly still sign for responsibility. I've never read of anyone actually getting dinged with medical bills by the feds, though. Of course, AZ is a community property state, so your spouse is going to be targeted by medical billers, anyway.
Old Jan 12th 2013, 8:38 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
... If you were to move to MA you could buy a policy for around $400/month as the state law is that you cannot be refused or discriminated against for pre-existing conditions and buy a policy is a simple web based procedure.
So you don't need to have been a MA resident for 12 months first any more then?
Old Jan 12th 2013, 8:46 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
So you don't need to have been a MA resident for 12 months first any more then?
No, you still need to meet the residency requirements.
Old Jan 13th 2013, 2:16 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nermil75
No its individual. I was just referring to earlier suggestions that he get a company insurance policy and take me on as an employee. Not sure I can be without the right to work here. I wouldn't want to dig ourselves into a deeper hole.

He may be able to add me to his individual policy. And we're looking into this. I got quoted $234 for 3 months of coverage through insubuy (no pre existing condition coverage) with a $500k max. I may go for that one to tide me over for now.
The very first thing you should do -- in fact he should have done this before he was married -- is have your husband contact his insurer, say I'm married now, and I want to add my spouse to my policy. Just call and ask them immediately. If -- just for the sake of argument -- he already had a company insurance plan set up, he would still be adding you to his coverage as his spouse, not as an employee.
Old Jan 14th 2013, 3:00 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Her sponsor is responsible to see that she has a minimum level of income, and for repaying any government means-tested benefits that may have been granted (if asked for reimbursement by the government agency that provided the benefits).

The sponsor is not responsible, under the I-864, for paying the immigrant's bills. The immigrant's spouse or others may be responsible for other reasons, but not as the sponsor of the immigrant.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Even if she were dirt poor, isn't she the responsibility of the person/people who sponsored her visa and not eligible for programs for so many years or has that bit been done away with.
Old Jan 14th 2013, 7:59 pm
Just Joined

Zyssi is an unknown quantity at this point

When I first moved to the US I didn't think I would be eligible for the company policy due to the pre-existing condition clause. However, this is not the case. If you can prove you had coverage in your home country before moving here. I provided the insurance company with the details of my UK National Insurance number. They verified it and the pre-existing issue was resolved. There were also a number of insurance companies out there willing to provide cover despite my newcomer status. Good luck.
Old Jan 14th 2013, 8:27 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zyssi
If you can prove you had coverage in your home country before moving here. I provided the insurance company with the details of my UK National Insurance number. They verified it and the pre-existing issue was resolved.
A word of warning to people reading... you only have 62 days in which to get US insurance coverage in this manner. On day 63, you will not get coverage for a pre-existing condition that was covered by the NHS.

Ian
Old Jan 14th 2013, 9:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
A word of warning to people reading... you only have 62 days in which to get US insurance coverage in this manner. On day 63, you will not get coverage for a pre-existing condition that was covered by the NHS.
To add to that, note that travel insurance and most temporary health insurance plans (eg Seven Corners inbound immigrant, plus others) do not count towards prior credible coverage.
Old Jan 14th 2013, 11:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
The very first thing you should do -- in fact he should have done this before he was married -- is have your husband contact his insurer, say I'm married now, and I want to add my spouse to my policy. Just call and ask them immediately. If -- just for the sake of argument -- he already had a company insurance plan set up, he would still be adding you to his coverage as his spouse, not as an employee.
The OP's spouse has an individual policy - you can't add a spouse to an individual policy.

The US spouse would have to change his plan to a family one to include new spouse.
Old Jan 15th 2013, 1:37 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
The OP's spouse has an individual policy - you can't add a spouse to an individual policy.

The US spouse would have to change his plan to a family one to include new spouse.
You are absolutely correct, the word I should have used is "convert" -- but I still feel that their first call should be to his insurer to see if, as a current customer, he can convert to a family plan.
Old Jan 15th 2013, 7:49 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl

Thats what we did when Dh changed jobs, I had an individual plan and he and the kids had cover for free from work, then the new job didn't cover anyone for so many hours of work (4 months or so) so I changed the plan to a family one and covered everyone till his new insurance came into play and we all went onto that works plan.