Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Getting Flights

Getting Flights

Old Sep 27th 2010, 12:46 pm
Badger Badger Badger

Malashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of light
Default Getting Flights

OK, this is a bit of a weird one, but not wholly unexpected. I'm looking at flights out to start my new life and one way tickets are about twice as much as returns (yes that is the right way round). I just wanted to check with you lovely folks if anyone knew of any problems I might encounter from booking a return and either just not showing, or more likely because that rankles with me, call the airline after I've arrived and cancelling the return leg?

I've seen conflicting advice elsewhere about this. Most people seem to say it's fine but there's the odd "harbinger of doom" saying that if the airline suspects one's doing this they'll cancel the whole ticket.

Last edited by Malashaan; Sep 27th 2010 at 1:13 pm.
Old Sep 27th 2010, 2:00 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting Flights

Just book a return for as far as possible off in the future as they will let you (usually six month or a year). When the time comes to use the return leg, change the ticket to another one six months later or so (when you want to visit your Gran for the holidays). It will likely cost a change fee of $200 but you'll have a return ticket just in case.

If not, just forget the return leg. They're not going to hunt you down.
Old Sep 27th 2010, 3:21 pm
Badger Badger Badger

Malashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of light

Yeah, done this. I'm flying Thursday :-)

Just realised I'll almost certainly miss the connection Expedia has given me because it's only given me a 2 hour 10 minute layover but whatever, I've never had a problem getting rescheduled when I've missed a connection because I was held up in customs and immigration.
Old Sep 27th 2010, 5:45 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Malashaan
Yeah, done this. I'm flying Thursday :-)

Just realised I'll almost certainly miss the connection Expedia has given me because it's only given me a 2 hour 10 minute layover but whatever, I've never had a problem getting rescheduled when I've missed a connection because I was held up in customs and immigration.
I did that one-way thing once with BA - wasn't a problem. Who are you flying with?
Old Sep 27th 2010, 5:55 pm
Badger Badger Badger

US Airways - they're always really cheap and they've always provided me with pretty decent service, considering the price at least.
Old Sep 27th 2010, 6:07 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

US Airways - they're always really cheap and they've always provided me with pretty decent service, considering the price at least.
Keep an eye out - US Airways occasionally do an offer where if you sign up for their frequent flyer club they give you a free trial of silver status for 90 days. Lucky timing saw Mrs tonrob and I do this and then get free first class upgrades plus waived bag fees as a result just about a year ago. Their most recent promo like this ended mid-August, but thought I'd mention in case there was another one come along before you're due to fly.
Old Sep 27th 2010, 6:48 pm

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

We arrived last December and our "return" trip is scheduled for sometime next month. We're not going to use it - aside from the fact that we'd then need another single to get us back home again, the airport is Seattle-Tacoma which is quite a drive away.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 9:15 am
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

I've seen conflicting advice elsewhere about this. Most people seem to say it's fine but there's the odd "harbinger of doom" saying that if the airline suspects one's doing this they'll cancel the whole ticket.
Only a problem if you do it repeatedly with the same airline, and even then there's not much they can do. Just be aware that you can't skip legs on a ticket because then they do cancel the remainder of the legs if you miss one.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 9:42 am
Forum Regular

MrSensical is just really niceMrSensical is just really niceMrSensical is just really niceMrSensical is just really niceMrSensical is just really niceMrSensical is just really niceMrSensical is just really niceMrSensical is just really niceMrSensical is just really nice

OK, this is a bit of a weird one, but not wholly unexpected. I'm looking at flights out to start my new life and one way tickets are about twice as much as returns (yes that is the right way round). I just wanted to check with you lovely folks if anyone knew of any problems I might encounter from booking a return and either just not showing, or more likely because that rankles with me, call the airline after I've arrived and cancelling the return leg?

I have done the whole book a round trip/return cos its cheaper than one way several times, and I have never had a problem. don't be a wuss and call the airline making an excuse if you do this, why waste the time? they can sell that seat on reserve anyway or omg imagine the horror if that seat is empty, (the seat that you have already paid an agreed price for your ass to be sat in)

Last edited by MrSensical; Sep 28th 2010 at 9:45 am.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 10:27 am
BMP
Forum Regular

BMP is a name known to allBMP is a name known to allBMP is a name known to allBMP is a name known to allBMP is a name known to allBMP is a name known to allBMP is a name known to allBMP is a name known to allBMP is a name known to allBMP is a name known to allBMP is a name known to all

An alternative is to use airmiles.

Through October one way flex awards with AA from LHR to anywhere in the continental US are only 20,000 miles.

20,000 Miles only costs $500...
but they are giving away 3,000 for every 10,000 purchased so it would work out cheaper. i tihnk maybe $425.

you have to add taxes in at £100 for UK departures.
this might still work out cheaper than just booking a return.
just a suggestion.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 10:36 am
Septic Sprout

Originally Posted by BMP
An alternative is to use airmiles.

Through October one way flex awards with AA from LHR to anywhere in the continental US are only 20,000 miles.

20,000 Miles only costs $500...
but they are giving away 3,000 for every 10,000 purchased so it would work out cheaper. i tihnk maybe $425.

you have to add taxes in at £100 for UK departures.
this might still work out cheaper than just booking a return.
just a suggestion.
He's flying US Airways this Thursday. Good point though in general. Once you're in the US, though, there are plenty of ways to get AA miles for free!

Last edited by tonrob; Sep 28th 2010 at 10:39 am.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 10:59 am
BMP
Forum Regular

BMP is a name known to allBMP is a name known to allBMP is a name known to allBMP is a name known to allBMP is a name known to allBMP is a name known to allBMP is a name known to allBMP is a name known to allBMP is a name known to allBMP is a name known to allBMP is a name known to all

should probably read the thread properly!

I'm AA platinum - their mileage program is easily the best

BA's mileage accrual stinks
Delta you need 7,000,000 miles to claim an award

have to be careful with airmiles though - it can become an obsession!!
Old Sep 28th 2010, 11:14 am
Septic Sprout

Originally Posted by BMP
should probably read the thread properly!

I'm AA platinum - their mileage program is easily the best

BA's mileage accrual stinks
Delta you need 7,000,000 miles to claim an award

have to be careful with airmiles though - it can become an obsession!!
Hmmm... just noticed the deal in the UK where an AMEX Gold card gets you 20K BA miles. Now - given that many advise people moving to the US to get an AMEX card beforehand as they will transfer your credit history, then this might be a great move for those who are emigrating within the next 6-9 months, say. They could start saving the rest of their Tesco Clubcard points to make up the difference for a one-way award ticket to the US? (Not sure how many Tesco points you need for that - can't be arsed looking).

As for BA mileage accrual, Mrs tonrob and I have got about 300,000 combined out of the Chase BA Visa offers this year and the potential for another 100,000 by transferring from the Starwood Preferred Guest program (via the AMEX card). We'll also qualify for the Chase 241 voucher within a few weeks. I find that flying BA is a nice way to top up my BAEC account but it's far from the primary earning method for me.