Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Getting a countersignature for passport renewal??

Getting a countersignature for passport renewal??

Old May 28th 2016, 7:28 pm
Just Joined

Ives is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Getting a countersignature for passport renewal??

I need to renew my daughter's UK passport, but it needs to be countersigned by someone who has known me 2 years and is the right profession. We've only been in the US a year, but I'm from NY originally so if I could find someone there with the right profession AND a passport I could mail it to them, or else mail it to a friend in the UK who I did it for us when we lived there. Americans don't usually have passports, do they?

I read somewhere people have been known to cross out the '2 years' and write in how long they have known the person.

What do you do???
Old May 29th 2016, 3:03 am
Just Joined

CaliforniaWaiting is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Getting a countersignature for passport renewal??

Hi - we were in a similar situation (have only been in the US a year) and have just renewed my son's UK passport. Having read advice on this forum, my husband asked a work colleague (who is an accountant) to be our countersignatory and he signed the form for us and put 1 year as the time known. I enclosed a hand written letter to the passport office with the application explaining our situation and sent it to Durham with UPS. The new passport was dispatched 2 days after they received it. I could not believe how quick and easy the whole process was
Old May 29th 2016, 3:11 am
BE Forum Addict

johnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ives
I need to renew my daughter's UK passport, but it needs to be countersigned by someone who has known me 2 years and is the right profession. We've only been in the US a year, but I'm from NY originally so if I could find someone there with the right profession AND a passport I could mail it to them, or else mail it to a friend in the UK who I did it for us when we lived there. Americans don't usually have passports, do they?

I read somewhere people have been known to cross out the '2 years' and write in how long they have known the person.

What do you do???
I got my next door neighbour to sign. They obviously don't check. Not that I'm recommending it, but.........
Old May 29th 2016, 4:48 am
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't have anyone local to ask so I sent it to a doctor friend who lives on the other side of the country, who then signed the photos and sent it on to the UK. It was a pain in the arse for all concerned. In your position, I'd probably send it to the friend in the UK
Old May 29th 2016, 3:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wintersong
In your position, I'd probably send it to the friend in the UK
+1

I sort of did this for our son. I got him to do the photographs before I left for the UK, got a friend (retired headmaster) who's known him since he was born to sign the back, then mailed the photo back to him in the USA.
Old May 29th 2016, 4:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

It's really amazing that the UK government persists with the belief that only certain professions contain people responsible enough to countersign.
Old May 29th 2016, 6:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
It's really amazing that the UK government persists with the belief that only certain professions contain people responsible enough to countersign.
When our daughter renewed hers from California 18 months ago she got her manager at work to sign it. I had to get my photo signed in 2006 when applying from Texas, and again I just got my US manager of a US company to sign.
Old May 29th 2016, 6:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Do they even check on the on the authenticity of the signature. I don't believe so. I got a neighbour to sign mine, got my passport. They don't know who the hell signed it, think how much it would cost to check all the signatures.
Old May 29th 2016, 8:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnwoo
Do they even check on the on the authenticity of the signature. I don't believe so. I got a neighbour to sign mine, got my passport. They don't know who the hell signed it, think how much it would cost to check all the signatures.
They presumably check a small subset. But check or no check how can they justify what the state as to who is eligible to countersign?
Old May 30th 2016, 3:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
They presumably check a small subset. But check or no check how can they justify what the state as to who is eligible to countersign?
That's been there since I got my first passport in1959, I took it seriously then and had my Doctor sign it, he charged me 2s-6d (half a crown). My last passport was signed my neighbour the "Reverend Jim"
Old May 30th 2016, 3:36 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I signed one recently for someone I know, and the form asked for my passport number. So on recept it should take as long as it takes to type my passport number into the computer to pull up my passport record and confirm my signature. That must be all of a 15-30 second task. .... Most passports, the vast majority can be checked that quickly. Leaving resources to verify by more laborious means, the other "non-standard" passport countersignatories. I agree that not all applications may be fully verified.
Old May 30th 2016, 10:17 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I signed one recently for someone I know, and the form asked for my passport number. So on recept it should take as long as it takes to type my passport number into the computer to pull up my passport record and confirm my signature. That must be all of a 15-30 second task. .... Most passports, the vast majority can be checked that quickly. Leaving resources to verify by more laborious means, the other "non-standard" passport countersignatories. I agree that not all applications may be fully verified.
Correct. Which is why a British passport holder is preferable as it's quicker to check.

On the 'responsible' professions point, someone in such a position has something to lose by making a false declaration compared to some barfly you bought a pint for at your local. Not a great system but it could be worst - anyone renewing an Australian passport overseas has to attend an Australian diplomatic mission in person for an interview.

Last edited by BritInParis; May 30th 2016 at 10:20 am.
Old May 31st 2016, 12:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Mine was signed by a local American friend who works as an admin assistant.
Old Jun 2nd 2016, 1:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

I got my next door neighbour to sign. They obviously don't check. Not that I'm recommending it, but.........
"They" do, sometimes: my (former) boss (not a UK citizen) was quite surprised, but really rather quite chuffed when he received a phone call to verify his countersigning of my daughter's passport a few years back.
Old Jun 2nd 2016, 2:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Shirtback
"They" do, sometimes: my (former) boss (not a UK citizen) was quite surprised, but really rather quite chuffed when he received a phone call to verify his countersigning of my daughter's passport a few years back.
I've never had it checked, but I think they have tightened things uo since my last passport. There was no form to fill out, to the best of my recollection no personal details requested, other than profession. The neighbour that signed mine was a preacher in an African American church in Oakland, CA. Rev. Jim. Probably not the kind of cleric the CofE would recognize.
To be honest I haven't renewed my UK passport in in over 20 years. I use my US passport, I couldn't leave and reenter the US on a UK passport anyway, so what's the point. I'll renew my UK as and when I need to.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.