Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Getting children born in US their UK passport

Getting children born in US their UK passport

Old Jun 19th 2008, 9:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting children born in US their UK passport

Originally Posted by Shahlax
Wondering if you are sending in their 'full' birth certificates or the regular state one? I also have to apply for a UK passport for my son but he was born in NJ and has a birth certificate that does not have the hospital name, just the town and the application requires that. Apparantly you have to get a 'full' birth certificate from the state authorities.
Just to add a note here, not every state puts the hospital name on a birth certificate. When I requested a new copy of my b/c a few years ago, the new b/c I received did not have the hospital name. Just my name, both of my parents' names and my date of birth and city of birth. There is no other b/c available with the hospital name on it. If this is a requirement for the UK passport application, then it could be a problem depending on the state the child was born in.
Old Jun 20th 2008, 1:06 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aznewsh
My daughter was born in the US - I am British on green card and my wife is American, we have not travelled abroad with her yet. would it make sense to apply for her British passport before we travel anywhere abroad to save these problems?
It would be handy, but if your just going on a holiday to the UK, a US passport will be fine.
Old Jun 20th 2008, 2:05 pm

Shahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
Just to add a note here, not every state puts the hospital name on a birth certificate. When I requested a new copy of my b/c a few years ago, the new b/c I received did not have the hospital name. Just my name, both of my parents' names and my date of birth and city of birth. There is no other b/c available with the hospital name on it. If this is a requirement for the UK passport application, then it could be a problem depending on the state the child was born in.
Well, last I recall they wanted a 'full' birth certificate with hospital name and it says that if you don't provide this, they could send the application back. So I decided not to apply for now until I find out more...
Old Jun 21st 2008, 3:02 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Well, last I recall they wanted a 'full' birth certificate with hospital name and it says that if you don't provide this, they could send the application back. So I decided not to apply for now until I find out more...
At some point you are going to have to make a formal application with the evidence you have and if they give you a formal refusal, then take steps from there. Up to and including legal action.

When they say "full birth certificate" they mean something that shows names of parents.

Otherwise you need to forget the idea of your child having a British passport ...
Old Jun 21st 2008, 9:41 pm

Shahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by JAJ
At some point you are going to have to make a formal application with the evidence you have and if they give you a formal refusal, then take steps from there. Up to and including legal action.

When they say "full birth certificate" they mean something that shows names of parents.

Otherwise you need to forget the idea of your child having a British passport ...
I see they have changed the wording on the www.britainusa.com website. Full used to mean something else when I last read it. Good, so I will go ahead with my application.
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 12:23 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

I see they have changed the wording on the www.britainusa.com website. Full used to mean something else when I last read it. Good, so I will go ahead with my application.
If they make unrealistic demands (eg insisting on old documents that are now lost) you have to remember that this does not affect the status of your child as a British citizen.

In other words, such demands may be illegal.

You could try a Freedom of Information request to demand a copy of the policy instructions used by passport case workers:
http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/about-the-fco/publications/foi