Getting a car with UK License

Getting a car with UK License

Old Oct 15th 2015, 1:38 pm
Forum Regular

Nick15 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Getting a car with UK License

Hi guys,

Just working through some future plans.

I am UKC, my wife is USC. Currently in the US with an I-130 filed in the UK (I plan on flying back for interview, etc.)

When I am in the US permanently, I will have a UK driving license and the company I will work for is willing to get me a company car and put me on their insurance to drive it.

Will that actually be possible with a UK License? I know that most insurers will need you to have a US license if you want to own a car in your name and get insured for it. But the company will be on the title and I will be added to their insurance. I just don't want to go through the process of getting a car to find out, they can't add me because I have a UK license.

Any help I'd really appreciate it!
Old Oct 15th 2015, 1:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting a car with UK License

Once you are resident in a state you are required to get a drivers license of that state usually within a fairly short period. Take the written part and the practical and get it over with.
Old Oct 15th 2015, 1:47 pm
Forum Regular

Nick15 is an unknown quantity at this point

I will... but I just need to know if in the very first instance, wether I can get a car (in the company's name) and get on their insurance with a UK License?

We'd be residing in a very remote part of the state... so would like to get this sorted ahead of time.
Old Oct 15th 2015, 4:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nick15
I will... but I just need to know if in the very first instance, wether I can get a car (in the company's name) and get on their insurance with a UK License? We'd be residing in a very remote part of the state... so would like to get this sorted ahead of time.
I don't think anyone here is in a position to know. It's a question for your company and their insurers.
Old Oct 16th 2015, 4:30 pm
Just Joined

sadiigo is an unknown quantity at this point

You only need US license to register a car (I am not sure if this applies to all states though). Insurance companies don't require you to have US license, but will charge you more for having UK license. If your company register the car for you and pay for your insurance, you should be good to go from the start.
Old Oct 16th 2015, 5:43 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

In theory your "valid" insurance could be voided when you are no longer eligible to use your UK licence, which, depending on the state is 10-90 days. As long as you are in the process of getting your US license (typically have done any written test and/or classroom training, and are waiting for your road test), you are unlikely to have any problems even after the "deadline" for getting a local license.

So to answer your question, subject to whatever your employer's insurers say, you will likely be OK, but go ahead now and start the process to get yourself a license!