Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Getting Broadband/TV Service without Credit Score

Getting Broadband/TV Service without Credit Score

Old Aug 25th 2015, 9:22 pm
Forum Regular

Fatboyslick is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Getting Broadband/TV Service without Credit Score

Just dawned on me, once we move out of Corporate Housing and into our own place, we will need to get Broadband. However we won't have a credit score....what have people done to get around this for home services such as broadband, Cable etc

thanks in advance
Old Aug 25th 2015, 9:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting Broadband/TV Service without Credit Score

The cable company typically asks for a hefty deposit in lieu of a credit check. If you are lucky, after 12 months of diligently paying on time they might credit it back to you.

Same with most other utilities.
Old Aug 25th 2015, 9:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond repute

I went for Verizon FiOS internet and they wanted a $125 deposit, which they return after 12 months of on time payments.

Strangely I also ordered Comcast TV (just with a CableCARD if it makes any difference, I bought a TiVo) and they didn't want a deposit from me...!
Old Aug 25th 2015, 9:49 pm

thinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond repute

The use of credit scores depends on the size of the service provider. Big companies use credit scores to not only determine if you need to place a deposit, but also if you are eligible for some of their offers (I had to temporarily remove a credit freeze from my account to get a better deal when signing up for Dish). In the boonies here I've had 4 different internet providers, none of them required a credit check.

Also, in almost all states (some have outlawed it) your credit score determines your insurance risk, so expect to pay more for car insurance if you don't have a good score.

The annoying fact is most utilities,TV providers, etc will do a hard inquiry on your credit score, which can result in a small, temporary drop in your credit score, making it harder for the next service you try to sign up for in that time period. Try to sign up for everything on the same day, to mitigate the risk of a temporary reduced score.
Old Aug 25th 2015, 10:21 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks, so essentially, find the provider I want and apply
If it fails, call them up or move onto the next one
Old Aug 25th 2015, 10:24 pm
Banned

gcjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
The cable company typically asks for a hefty deposit in lieu of a credit check. If you are lucky, after 12 months of diligently paying on time they might credit it back to you.

Same with most other utilities.

They have to give the money back otherwise that would be theft/scam etc etc
Old Aug 25th 2015, 10:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fatboyslick
Pretty much. With Verizon I had to go through some sort of ID verification where I took a photo of my NJ drivers licence and then my face and upload it to their website before they could process the order.

Last edited by Olly_; Aug 25th 2015 at 10:54 pm.
Old Aug 25th 2015, 10:38 pm
Forum Regular

ah cool, good to know that ability exists.

Next step is to find out what providers are out there.....any recommendations
Old Aug 25th 2015, 10:55 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

What is available depends totally on your location -- where are you?
Old Aug 25th 2015, 10:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

It depends entirely on where you're looking to move to as different areas have different services available, or sometimes no choice other than the local cable company.

If you can get Verizon FiOS I'd strongly recommend it over cable.
Old Aug 25th 2015, 11:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

The next one? You're likely to only have one cable provider available.

Originally Posted by gcjunkie
They have to give the money back otherwise that would be theft/scam etc etc
Yes, most get it back. Though I'm sure if I did a google search, it wouldn't be hard to find several people stiffed out of their deposit or made to jump through impossible hoops to claim it back.
Old Aug 25th 2015, 11:37 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Our relocation agent took us to Time warner for internet and home phone - no deposit needed but OH did have his SS number.

We've just got back our deposits for the water and electricity services which was quite a nice surprise since July was heavy usage for both of them. That's 2 years later.
Old Aug 25th 2015, 11:37 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

When I moved 5 years ago, I had to pay deposits on electric and cable. I had a good credit score, but as I had moved out of one house over a month before moving in, I was treated as a "new" customer. Deposit $250 each I think, was credited against bills, 2 years later.
Old Aug 25th 2015, 11:59 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Budget anything from $50-600 per utility as a deposit and be happy if you don't get asked for it and get most of it back in a years time.
Old Aug 26th 2015, 12:10 am
Forum Regular

Thanks all

Unknown on area yet. good to know that deposits as a security are accepted

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.