Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Getting British Passports and other questions

Getting British Passports and other questions

Old Apr 13th 2013, 6:08 pm
moi
Forum Regular

moi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Getting British Passports and other questions

I would like to get a British passport for my son (who is almost 8) basically just so that he has one. I registered him with the British Embassy in Washington DC when he was a newborn.
Do you know how I go about this - we are living in NJ and he has been living in NJ since been born here.

Also, how do I go about renewing my British passport that expired in 2008.

We both currently have US passports.

When we get them does it make sense to enter the UK on the British passports and then return to the US on the US passports?

Also, we are in the process of adopting a US Infant. How would this work in trying to pass on British citizenship to him or her?
Old Apr 13th 2013, 7:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

alfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting British Passports and other questions

Originally Posted by moi
I would like to get a British passport for my son (who is almost 8) basically just so that he has one. I registered him with the British Embassy in Washington DC when he was a newborn.
Do you know how I go about this - we are living in NJ and he has been living in NJ since been born here.

When we get them does it make sense to enter the UK on the British passports and then return to the US on the US passports?

Also, we are in the process of adopting a US Infant. How would this work in trying to pass on British citizenship to him or her?
regarding the passport for your son I believe you can get a pre-completed form sent to you from applying online (UK passport application).
I need to do this for my son who was born in Uruguay. (He's 3).
Washington DC has the main passport application centre for you there. I got my parents in the UK to send me the form from London as I couldn't get it sent here.
Fill the form, with his birth certificate pay the fee (send it by mail) and that's about it. Think its pretty straight forward.
Old Apr 13th 2013, 9:06 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moi
Do you know how I go about this...
Start here: https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports.

Start here: https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports.

Yes.

How would this work in trying to pass on British citizenship to him or her?
I don't believe you can pass citizenship to an adopted child... but I could be mistaken.

Ian
Old Apr 13th 2013, 10:19 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

This isn't a immigration question, so I moved it to the US forum, where if you have a look, you'll find loads of recent passport questions answering your questions.

There aren't quite as many on adoption though, but there are a few that you can find, one from a few weeks ago I think regarding a Russian adoption I think? Either way, there was quite a lot of info on in from a couple of posters.
Old Apr 14th 2013, 4:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moi
https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passport...applying/child

Originally Posted by moi
https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passport...wing_new/adult

Originally Posted by moi

US citizens must use a US passport to leave/enter the US. The UK does not place the same restrictions on its citizens so if you are visiting the UK, you can do so using your US passports (as I and other members of my family have done multiple times). I therefore question the need to obtain a UK passport for your son. It will only be valid for 5 years and realistically how often will he need it before it expires given that you can visit the UK on US passports anyway? You have already documented your son's UK citizenship via consular birth registration so a passport isn't really needed for that purpose either now. By the way, if you didn't get a consular birth cert for your son, you can obtain a much cheaper birth cert for him through the GPO in the UK.

If you intend to return to the UK to live, then things will go much smoother on UK passports - although even then it's possible to repatriate on a foreign passport as long as you can prove your UK citizenship on entry (as I did with my Canadian born children at one time).

Originally Posted by moi
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/br...adoptedabroad/
Old Apr 14th 2013, 1:07 pm
moi
Forum Regular

moi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed

US citizens must use a US passport to leave/enter the US. The UK does not place the same restrictions on its citizens so if you are visiting the UK, you can do so using your US passports (as I and other members of my family have done multiple times). I therefore question the need to obtain a UK passport for your son. It will only be valid for 5 years and realistically how often will he need it before it expires given that you can visit the UK on US passports anyway? You have already documented your son's UK citizenship via consular birth registration so a passport isn't really needed for that purpose either now. By the way, if you didn't get a consular birth cert for your son, you can obtain a much cheaper birth cert for him through the GPO in the UK.

If you intend to return to the UK to live, then things will go much smoother on UK passports - although even then it's possible to repatriate on a foreign passport as long as you can prove your UK citizenship on entry (as I did with my Canadian born children at one time).

Maryland Ned how do I go about getting the birth certificate through the consular and the GPO? - I did not realize I could do either??
I think my thinking behind the UK passport was a couple of reasons - It is always in the back of my mind of one day returning to live in the UK. Also, someone said to me (and not sure how accurate this is) that if you have a UK passport and needed to go to the doctors/hospital in England then you have the UK passport as back up.
Old Apr 14th 2013, 1:51 pm
moi
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by moi
Maryland Ned how do I go about getting the birth certificate through the consular and the GPO? - I did not realize I could do either??
I think my thinking behind the UK passport was a couple of reasons - It is always in the back of my mind of one day returning to live in the UK. Also, someone said to me (and not sure how accurate this is) that if you have a UK passport and needed to go to the doctors/hospital in England then you have the UK passport as back up.
Duh - I just realized I have the stamped certified Birth Certificate that the British Embassy sent me. BUT how would I go about getting a GPO birth certificate?
Old Apr 14th 2013, 2:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moi
Duh - I just realized I have the stamped certified Birth Certificate that the British Embassy sent me. BUT how would I go about getting a GPO birth certificate?
Oops I meant GRO (not GPO)

https://www.gov.uk/order-copy-birth-...ge-certificate
Old Apr 14th 2013, 3:06 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moi
Also, someone said to me (and not sure how accurate this is) that if you have a UK passport and needed to go to the doctors/hospital in England then you have the UK passport as back up.
You need to be resident of the UK for NHS treatment, unless it's an emergency.

The passport you hold doesn't count for anything.
Old Apr 14th 2013, 8:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bob
You need to be resident of the UK for NHS treatment, unless it's an emergency.

The passport you hold doesn't count for anything.
Neither of those statements are true. All can be treated...but some treatments have to be paid for in some cases. Read this:

http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/AboutNH...-services.aspx
Old Apr 15th 2013, 3:35 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Neither of those statements are true. All can be treated...but some treatments have to be paid for in some cases. Read this:

http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/AboutNH...-services.aspx
Ok, what's wrong with the passport is irrelevant?

First bit I could have been clearer in that you just need to be a UK resident to be entitled to receive free NHS treatment, other wise only emergency care will be covered free.
Old Apr 15th 2013, 6:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bob
Ok, what's wrong with the passport is irrelevant?

First bit I could have been clearer in that you just need to be a UK resident to be entitled to receive free NHS treatment, other wise only emergency care will be covered free.
Did you read the link?

"Some people who are not ordinary residents in the UK are still entitled to at least some hospital treatment free of charge. These include those working for UK-based employers and students on courses of at least six months in duration. UK state pensioners living overseas, and those visiting from countries that have a reciprocal healthcare agreement with the UK, are also entitled to free hospital treatment, but not pre-planned treatment or treatment that can await their return home. For more information see the exemption categories listed below."
Old Apr 15th 2013, 11:54 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

So, someone working in the UK or a student is a resident of the UK, that's not the same as being permanent resident, but they're still resident, not a tourist.

Johnny EU tourist is completely irrelevant to this because the OP is coming from the US, where again, the passport is immaterial
Old May 29th 2013, 8:06 pm
moi
Forum Regular

The website is stating that it has moved. I came up with this website. Still not sure if I can register an overseas (United States) adoption. I have been living in the US since 1991.
https://www.gov.uk/government/public...ldren-register
Old May 31st 2013, 10:06 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moi
If you have the consular birth certificate issued when you registered your son, there's no need to order a new copy from the GRO as it will simply be another copy from the register.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.