Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Getting around a Firewall at work...

Getting around a Firewall at work...

Old Oct 28th 2005, 5:53 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting around a Firewall at work...

http://www.freeproxy.ru/en/free_proxy/cgi-proxy.htm

has a good list of proxy sites

but these two are good ones from that list - http://www.thestrongestlinks.com/

http://www.proxyweb.net/

hmmm....may slacking continue

Last edited by Bob; Oct 28th 2005 at 5:56 pm.
Old Oct 31st 2005, 6:43 pm
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by syllk
Cheers Bob...wonder how long WebSense will take to block that one for me, though?
blocked as of today
Old Oct 31st 2005, 7:05 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eskimo
blocked as of today
you tried the other proxy sites from above?
Old Oct 31st 2005, 7:24 pm
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bob
you tried the other proxy sites from above?
all gone this morning - I have been off all last week so I guess my department has been working hard .. I can no longer even get to my msn mail
Old Oct 31st 2005, 7:47 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Eskimo
all gone this morning - I have been off all last week so I guess my department has been working hard .. I can no longer even get to my msn mail
that sucks....well i guess you ain't able to plonk in a proxy into the browser setting then either?
Old Oct 31st 2005, 7:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
that sucks....well i guess you ain't able to plonk in a proxy into the browser setting then either?
I found a neat tool once, it's a proxy on the local PC which in turn uses proxies at random from a list you give it.

I'll see if I can find it....
Old Oct 31st 2005, 7:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
I found a neat tool once, it's a proxy on the local PC which in turn uses proxies at random from a list you give it.

Might be useful for some people:

http://www.multiproxy.org/downloads.htm
Old Oct 31st 2005, 8:16 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by anotherlimey

there's a few plugin's that can do that for FF...thing is though at work, you might not be able to mess around with browser plugin's or install 3rd party software to do it...well if the network IT guy has any brains he wouldn't allow you access to do that at least
Old Oct 31st 2005, 8:29 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

At work your machine should not be directly connected to the internet, nor should the facility exist for you to be able to do this. Your machine will be connected to the company lan which will then use its own proxy server to funnel all internet access.
It doesn't matter what you do to your own machine as ultimately it should have no direct link to the outside world.
Old Oct 31st 2005, 8:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
At work your machine should not be directly connected to the internet, nor should the facility exist for you to be able to do this. Your machine will be connected to the company lan which will then use its own proxy server to funnel all internet access.
It doesn't matter what you do to your own machine as ultimately it should have no direct link to the outside world.
Not completely true, but almost.
Old Oct 31st 2005, 8:42 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

which was the point of those online proxy sites, connect to them, and then site connects through them...but if those sites are blocked, then there ain't much to do about it...
Old Oct 31st 2005, 9:26 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
which was the point of those online proxy sites, connect to them, and then site connects through them...but if those sites are blocked, then there ain't much to do about it...
Its not so much that the sites are blocked, its that in most businesses you will be unable to access the proxy site without first going through your work security.
I think you are implying that if you connect to the proxy that your work firewall will see only that connection and not the other sites that you are accessing via the external proxy but most systems are now sophisicated enough to cotton onto that trick. Ultimately if you are accessing a website the html file you are viewing has to come from the website of your desire, and this can be picked up.
Old Oct 31st 2005, 10:44 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Its not so much that the sites are blocked, its that in most businesses you will be unable to access the proxy site without first going through your work security.
I think you are implying that if you connect to the proxy that your work firewall will see only that connection and not the other sites that you are accessing via the external proxy but most systems are now sophisicated enough to cotton onto that trick. Ultimately if you are accessing a website the html file you are viewing has to come from the website of your desire, and this can be picked up.
I understand that...but these are basically proxy tunnel sites, they load a site within their own site, which is why there a bit shite if you want to get downloading or anything, but to bypass java chat or forums that might be blocked they tend to work quite well, unless that website is blocked itself, websense etc does seem to cotton on to them fairly quickly, espcially if your hanging out on the one proxy website often enough.