Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

get some more clarifications regarding getting married before/after my I-485 approva

get some more clarifications regarding getting married before/after my I-485 approva

Old Aug 7th 2002, 7:25 pm
Forum Regular

biran is an unknown quantity at this point
Default get some more clarifications regarding getting married before/after my I-485 approva

I would like to get some more clarifications regarding getting married before/after my I-485 approval.

Here are my statistics:
Nationality : Indian
AOS receipt date : 31-JAN-2002

Scenario 1 : ( Getting married before AOS approval . most likely some time in OCT-NOV 2002 )

Can I bring her on H4 to USA immediately given that my H1 is valid till May2003
and I already got my EAD and AP but never used EAD/AP so far ?

Can I add her name to my current I-485 or I have to file a new one ?

If I can add her name , Does she need to present here physically inside USA until the GC is done ?

What happens to the process if I laid off before
Applying her GC but after got married
After applying her GC

What happens if my GC got approved before applying her and after getting married ( less probable but still possible )

Scenario 2 : ( Getting married after my GC approval )
If she can come to USA on a F1 visa for 3 years , I marry her here in USA after an year .
What will be the scenario ? Is it at all a viable option ?
Can I still sponsor on family based category ? If I could then are there any restrictions for her of any kind ?

Can I stay outside USA , until she got her GC from her own country ( which takes 5 to 6 years ) ?
In that case there is a risk of me loosing GC as I stayed outside USA for more than 2 years ?
I think this is a valid reason to stay out of USA more than 2 years ?

If I get a canadian PR and telecommute from Vancouver with xxxx with occasional visit ( a week in two months )
to california for the next 6 years ? In that case are there any rule that I can not have two Green cards at
the same time ?

In the worst case can I quit my GC voluntarily and come back to USA on H1 again and she can come on H4 ?
How serious is loosing a GC ?

What are the risks involved in getting H1 next time and a new fresh GC application ?

Finally are there any other options to look for ?

Thanks
Biran
Old Aug 7th 2002, 11:49 pm
Forum Regular

gardencity is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs down Re: get some more clarifications regarding getting married before/after my I-485 approva

Originally posted by biran
... If I get a canadian PR and telecommute from Vancouver with xxxx with occasional visit ( a week in two months ) to california for the next 6 years ? In that case are there any rule that I can not have two Green cards at the same time ?

...In the worst case can I quit my GC voluntarily and come back to USA on H1 again and she can come on H4 ? How serious is loosing a GC ? What are the risks involved in getting H1 next time and a new fresh GC application ? Finally are there any other options to look for ?

Thanks
Biran

I'm lost here???

May I ask :
is this pursuit (GC) in the name of love and togetherness?

OR

are you looking for a game (ala GC chase) to while your time away?

Old Aug 8th 2002, 12:07 am
Forum Regular

biran is an unknown quantity at this point

I think from my message you must have got the idea if I am playing or really looking for a solution to avoid the 5years long separation. Anywat thanks for reading it atleast.
Old Aug 8th 2002, 3:58 am
Forum Regular

gardencity is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by biran
I think from my message you must have got the idea if I am playing or really looking for a solution to avoid the 5years long separation. Anywat thanks for reading it atleast.
Pardon my 'query'.

IMHO, all the more, for sake of your 'being together happily ever after' wish, perhaps you should weigh your options and decide whether the USA GC or the CAN GC is the 'route' to take.

Better be clear and focused on one 'route' then be scattered all over trying to clear more than one maze at one go.

While I am not 'qualified' to help you procedurally as I haven't tried 'jumping the GC hoop yet but still researching', I believe you will get 'more qualified' answers from senior posters soon.

As the proverbial adage goes "A bird in hand is better than two in the bush".

Good luck and Blessings!