Geologists?

Old Oct 22nd 2009, 7:52 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Geologists?

I was wondering if there are any geologists here or if any one knows what the market is like for geology jobs over there?
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 8:20 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Geologists?

Originally Posted by verystormy
I was wondering if there are any geologists here or if any one knows what the market is like for geology jobs over there?
I shall ask the obvious questions before others do - do you have a green card/US citizenship or do you require sponsorship for a visa?

The answer will depend on that, the likelihood of you getting a job will vary massively depending on whether you can work in the US without sponsorship or not.

And if you do need a visa and haven't read it already, then have a look at this............http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulaski's_Ways:_How_to_Live_and_Work_in_the_USA

Old Oct 22nd 2009, 11:24 am
BE Enthusiast

caleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond repute

While I am no longer a geologist, I was a geology student in the US 10 years ago. I still keep an eye on things in that business.

Interestingly, geology is generally not a very popular major here at university. This is good news for you.

For instance, when I was a geology undergrad in Edinburgh, there were 150 people in my class. When I transferred to Berkeley, in California, which is arguably a better department, and certainly a bigger school, there were no more than maybe a dozen geology majors in my year.

So....... the upshot of this is that there seems to be less competition for jobs.

You have two principle options here - an academic career or an industrial career in either the oil or mining industries.

Postdocs at university are an option. Be aware though that academic geology programs are not typically well funded so you will likely be conducting your research on a shoestring. Note that many US government laboratories (Livermore, Los Alamos etc) have active geology research programs.

You could apply directly to a large prospecting company, such as WesternGeco. I would also suggest throwing your lot in with international oil recruitment agencies such as Orion. My sister works for Orion and I know that they send Brits to Texas all the time. At the moment there's also a good chance of being punted to Alberta, Canada.

http://www.orionjobs.com/

There are loads of similar international resourcing companies for the oil and mining industries. A lot of them are based in the UK too, which is convenient.

The other thing is that, as a geologist, and even better as a geophysicist, you are squarely in line for an H1b, and of course oil companies have a few pennies lying around to pay for it all.

In short, a professional geologist has a pretty good shot of getting into the US, I'd say.

Note that there is quite a lot of oil around Santa Barbara, California. You could do a lot worse than ending up here.

Last edited by caleyjag; Oct 22nd 2009 at 11:36 am.
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 12:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caleyjag
While I am no longer a geologist, I was a geology student in the US 10 years ago. I still keep an eye on things in that business.
Is there no end to your talent?
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 2:55 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisa67
Is there no end to your talent?

Apparently not. He appears to be the upper echleon of the elite intellectual society of which I am not member. Would not be surprised if he were a Mena Member in good standing and heads a chapter of his own in California.
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 4:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond repute

Great question, I'll dig into a bit and see what comes to the surface.

- Tim
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 6:05 pm
Gotta have more cowbell

HoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond repute

Geologists Rock!
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 7:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

caleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Apparently not. He appears to be the upper echleon of the elite intellectual society of which I am not member. Would not be surprised if he were a Mena Member in good standing and heads a chapter of his own in California.
Are you a Cal State alum?
Is it acceptable form to cross-reference threads?

No, I'm just a regular dude who used to study rocks, then about half way through my undergrad studies got exposed to lasers and immediately fell in love. Years later I discovered that expertise in lasers is pretty handy for getting work in the US, particularly in tech-heavy California, and with the help of Scotland's terrific optics research programs I even got the O1 visa. Score!

The truth is that lasers and optics is relatively easy. Real physicists (eg nuclear and particles) look down on people like me - they know that we 'crapped it' and took all the easiest physics classes (optics, acoustics, geophysics, etc.)

The only thing is that lasers are incredibly useful. This gives me a lot more employment opportunities than a particle physics dork. Which is terrific.

Last edited by caleyjag; Oct 22nd 2009 at 7:32 pm.
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 7:35 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

half way through my undergrad studies got exposed to lasers and immediately fell in love.
You're SpiderMan, I KNEW it!!!
Never trust those lasers, me.

Be careful of the native Californians around here.. you never know where people's loyalties lie!

-fickle former denizen of the land of fruits n' nuts
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 7:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by meauxna
You're SpiderMan, I KNEW it!!!
Never trust those lasers, me.
Spiderman 2:

Good guys's a physicist.
Bad guy's a physicist.
Nuclear fusion.
Kirsten Dunst.

Possibly the greatest movie of all time!

Also a bonus point for not having any of that emo nonsense that blighted the third one.
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 7:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by meauxna

Be careful of the native Californians around here.. you never know where people's loyalties lie!
The native Californians know that Berkeley is the best, and I am right!
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 9:27 pm
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

Are you a Cal State alum?
Is it acceptable form to cross-reference threads?

No, I'm just a regular dude who used to study rocks, then about half way through my undergrad studies got exposed to lasers and immediately fell in love. Years later I discovered that expertise in lasers is pretty handy for getting work in the US, particularly in tech-heavy California, and with the help of Scotland's terrific optics research programs I even got the O1 visa. Score!

The truth is that lasers and optics is relatively easy. Real physicists (eg nuclear and particles) look down on people like me - they know that we 'crapped it' and took all the easiest physics classes (optics, acoustics, geophysics, etc.)

The only thing is that lasers are incredibly useful. This gives me a lot more employment opportunities than a particle physics dork. Which is terrific.
I thought you looked familiar.

Old Oct 22nd 2009, 10:15 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Lasers? Optics? For me they are chit. Didn't help me in the eyesight department at all. Maybe I should go to Scotland to get my sight restored?
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 10:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

I think you're between a rock and a hard place!

Jim.
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 12:01 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

... got exposed to lasers and immediately fell in love.
I saw that in a horror movie once... didn't end too well for the guy!

Ian

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.