Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

General Question on VWP

Wikiposts

General Question on VWP

Old Sep 19th 2008, 3:29 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: General Question on VWP

Originally Posted by Paulie53
Does anyone know if Lloyds TSB Visa Debit card is usable in the USA...
No idea... but on the back of your card you should have logos for "Cirrus" or "Star" or perhaps something else. As long as the US ATM machine has those logos displayed, your card will work in that ATM. Almost all US-based ATMs will take Cirrus and Star cards. As an aside, I was able to use my US ATM card at Euston Station's ATM machine... I'm sure the reverse is possible.

Ian
Old Sep 19th 2008, 3:40 am
Just Joined

Paulie53 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
No idea... but on the back of your card you should have logos for "Cirrus" or "Star" or perhaps something else. As long as the US ATM machine has those logos displayed, your card will work in that ATM. Almost all US-based ATMs will take Cirrus and Star cards. As an aside, I was able to use my US ATM card at Euston Station's ATM machine... I'm sure the reverse is possible.

Ian
Well it doesn't have Cirrus nor Star on it, but it does have the Visa logo on the front and a bird on the back... Plus is written "this card may be used abroad whilst on your holidays" so I guess it is all okay
Old Sep 19th 2008, 3:56 am
Just Joined

J-Man is just really niceJ-Man is just really niceJ-Man is just really niceJ-Man is just really niceJ-Man is just really niceJ-Man is just really niceJ-Man is just really niceJ-Man is just really nice

One thing about using your card in the States. It might be a good idea to tell your bank you're going abroad as last time I was there, I could only use mine once before they froze it as they thought there was something suspect going on.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 4:16 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I did something like this, flew into Washington, rented a car, did a few weeks travelling around the historic sites.

But it must have been 15 years ago.

I would suggest a second CC, and may be a Travellers Cheque as back up.

I rented from the UK, probably does not matter now, but shop around. Lots of International Rental companies.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 4:50 am
BE Enthusiast

AlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond repute

Oh dear so much to remember, Maybe I should just go shopping in New York instead, so much easier... Does anyone know if Lloyds TSB Visa Debit card is usable in the USA.. though I don't have a credit card per se, all my monies go into this account....
You'll find that all hotels and rental car companies in the US require a credit not debit card, so you may wish to check so that you're not put in a difficult position on arrival. I had to get a specific credit card just for these arrangements. You can use your Lloyds TSB Visa card (I have one too!) for cash from a ATM what has the Visa symbol on it - assuming you know your 4-digit PIN!
Old Sep 19th 2008, 5:14 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by AlanR
You'll find that all hotels and rental car companies in the US require a credit not debit card, so you may wish to check so that you're not put in a difficult position on arrival. I had to get a specific credit card just for these arrangements. You can use your Lloyds TSB Visa card (I have one too!) for cash from a ATM what has the Visa symbol on it - assuming you know your 4-digit PIN!

So this means I will need a credit card even if I book my hotel online, as the ones I have looked at do accept Visa Debits.... I just hate the thought of having a credit card, never had one and didn't want to get one.. I will be carrying travellers cheques.. Yes I know my Pin number...
Old Sep 19th 2008, 5:16 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

So this means I will need a credit card even if I book my hotel online, as the ones I have looked at do accept Visa Debits.... I just hate the thought of having a credit card, never had one and didn't want to get one.. I will be carrying travellers cheques.. Yes I know my Pin number...
Car rental ONLY take credit cards ... they want to be able to
track you down if you dissapear with their car ..lol
Old Sep 19th 2008, 5:40 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

You should *never* book anything with a debit card - only credit cards afford protection if something goes wrong.

No one forces you to use a credit card for 'credit'. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has never carried a balance in my life.

Get a Nationwide CC - much better rates and no commission.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 10:15 pm
Just Joined

Thank You everyone, you help has been most amazing and extremely beneficial... However, it now seems I may have another problem... Two days prior to my departure I have to go to Dublin to visit with family there... Is it okay to fly out of Dublin, rather than come back to the UK then have to go all the way back to the airport to go to New York.. particularily as my home residence in the UK.. Would I have to show any proof or reason as to why I am flying out of Dublin???

Thank You kindly
Old Sep 20th 2008, 1:14 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Would I have to show any proof or reason as to why I am flying out of Dublin?
No... it won't matter.

Ian
Old Sep 20th 2008, 10:51 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Thank You everyone, you help has been most amazing and extremely beneficial... However, it now seems I may have another problem... Two days prior to my departure I have to go to Dublin to visit with family there... Is it okay to fly out of Dublin, rather than come back to the UK then have to go all the way back to the airport to go to New York.. particularily as my home residence in the UK.. Would I have to show any proof or reason as to why I am flying out of Dublin???

Thank You kindly
One benefit to going via Dublin is that you will clear US Immigration there, before flying.

You will still clear US Customs when you land in the US proper, but you'll have your answer before they let you board (you were worried about being refused entry).
Old Sep 20th 2008, 9:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud of

I travelled in the USA last summer, and anything other than the most basic 'mom and pop' motel required a credit card swipe, even when I was eventually going to pay cash. So yes, a credit card is pretty much essential as a security, even if you are not going to use it for billing.

As others have said, let your card company know you will be in the US and the dates, so it does not get stopped as possibly being misused.

I took a stack of Amex traveller's cheques ($100's), and these are still broadly acceptable for cash purchases, although beginning to go out of fashion (compared with the 90's) as credit cards have become ubiquitous.

NYC is a much cleaned up act compared with the 70's, 80's, and mid-town Manhattan is no more dangerous, arguably safer, than central London. However, I would check carefully where in brooklyn you are staying, as this borough has good and bad areas.