Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

General living costs

General living costs

Old Jan 14th 2012, 7:02 am
Just Joined

mrs_c is an unknown quantity at this point
Question General living costs

I a thinking of a move to the Maryland area in April this year and have a few questions RE cost of living. I will be renting a furnished apartment, however think I will be responsible for the bills. I wondered if anyone could give ust a rough estimate of how much the following would cost per month:

Heating (gas), i have heard thic can be quite pricey

Cable/TV/phone etc. with cheap calls to US

Are there any other costs which are unique to the US - someone mentioned a fee for taking away trash etc.....

Mobile phone - basic package (no need for international calls etc)

Home contents insurance including a few named items laptop/ipad/engagement ring etc (these are currently named on my UK home inurance and not sure if this would be the best way to cover these in the US or whether to take a separate policy)

Car rental (not sure whether to buy?)

Car insurance (2 drivers aged 31 and 29 with no US no claims for a low end car)

Travel insurance if we travel out of US-does anyone know if this is covered in US healthcare policies

This seems a lot of questions

Any input very much appreciated
Old Jan 14th 2012, 10:11 am
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: General living costs

You might want to indicate how you will be moving to the US (visa - if so, which one? US citizen?). Without that, you won't be moving to the US and so the question is moot.

That said, you might also want to expand on where in Maryland: prices could vary between cities. Be aware that large deposits are likely to be required for utilities, phones, etc in lieu of a US credit history. Car insurance: varies enormously.
Old Jan 14th 2012, 1:02 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: General living costs

Welcome to BE!

But yeah, visa first.

Then google cost of living calulators and put in the cities you are interested in as it makes a difference.

A furnished apartment will be more pricey as they often aren't.

Heating, it'll be whatever it is, gas is relatively cheap, but often isn't a option, can be $100 a month in winter for a average 2 bed apartment keeping it cool, but oil might be $400 and electric $150 or anything in between. Depends on if the place is new, top floor, ground floor, how well insulated etc.

Basic cable/phone/internet package around the $100+ a month.

Mobile phone around $50+ a month, sure there are cheaper options or PAYG, but that's a solid general amount for data/sms/minutes.

Renters insurance about $150 or there abouts a year for maybe $20-30K worth of goods.

Unique bills, the rubbish collection depends on where you live, some might be included in the rent, might be provided by the town, or you might have to get a town sticker, or use town bags and go to the dump and everything in between.

Car insurance, expect $1000 a year for a low end car and be happy if it is less. Your UK history means SFA.

Your biggest issue is having no US credit history, so you will more than likely have to put deposits down for everything, ranging from $50-600 per utility, phone etc and be happy if you don't need to. No history affects your insurance rates too.

Medical insurance covering travel, depends on the policy, so ask them. But you'd probably want travel insurance to cover the travel.

Many of these questions are covered in general in many previous threads as well as the wiki if you want more general answers.

The state has also been asked about a fair bit so you might find more specific info if you search it out, and also use city-data.com