Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

General Election

General Election

Old Apr 5th 2005, 9:28 pm
Just Joined

ukchloeinusa is an unknown quantity at this point
Question General Election

Someone here has to know how to go about voting in the UK General Election. Either by post or proxy.
Old Apr 5th 2005, 9:50 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: General Election

Yup, quite a few....do a search of the forums, there's loads of threads already...
Old Apr 5th 2005, 9:53 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ting+Elections

That's a few of the threads
Old Apr 5th 2005, 10:00 pm
Forum Regular

ScyLarc is just really niceScyLarc is just really niceScyLarc is just really niceScyLarc is just really niceScyLarc is just really niceScyLarc is just really niceScyLarc is just really niceScyLarc is just really nice

Damn, i think i'm too late. Those links say you have to have registered by March 11th.
Old Apr 5th 2005, 10:00 pm
British/Irish(ish) Duncs

Location: Cambridge MA, via Mississippi and Belfast Northern Ireland.
Duncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant future
Talking Re: General Election

Originally Posted by ukchloeinusa
Someone here has to know how to go about voting in the UK General Election. Either by post or proxy.
You have to be registered as an overseas elector first. In order to register as an overseas voter you will need to contact the electoral registration office at the local council covering the address for where you were last registered with in the UK. They will send you out the forms that you need in order to register. Alternatively get them here:

for England, Wales & Scotland:
http://www.aboutmyvote.co.uk/vote/re.../?defCountry=3

For Northern Ireland: http://www.electoralofficeni.gov.uk/...ents/RPF37.pdf

I wouldn't recommend contacting your local centre. I tried that twice with no answer before I found the online form.

You are too late for this election though. The process is a rolling one i.e. they update and produce an amended register each month. This election will be on the April register which was updated with information received up to the 11th March. After that date you will get added to the May Register which wont be in force until after the general election.

Once on the register you can vote by post or by nominated proxy, the registration form allows you to choose and nominate at time of registration. Proxy is better as they don’t send out postal voting forms until 2 weeks before the election and it might take over that time to receive it and send it back. If it arrive after the election date its void.

Hope that helps.
Old Apr 5th 2005, 11:17 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Have, postal proxy is the way to do it, though I think it's sent out 10 days before the vote, which would be cutting it a bit close for anyone out here to vote and send it in unless they do express delivery...

As for getting in contact with previous country council for register info, where I last registered, they were very good at sorting it out because I couldn't remember the full address, was a uni address, and the room changed each year, anyway, took them a couple days to get back to me, but they did and were helpful.