Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

GED/High School Diploma/Degree?

GED/High School Diploma/Degree?

Old Jun 21st 2013, 4:40 am
Forum Regular

Melly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: GED/High School Diploma/Degree?

GEDs seem mostly to be obtained by high school dropouts and convicts, so "IMHO, having a GED is not much to brag about. ...."

IMHO, I disagree! When someone asks me my immigration story, I'm proud to include my educational journey, starting with obtaining my GED (in my 30s). After leaving school in the UK at 15.5, I headed straight to the factory floor. I sensed greater aspirations within myself, but it wasn't until I'd been living & working in the US for about 15yrs that I decided to do something about them. The first step was my GED, which I was very proud to complete (I had nothing to show for my UK education). Next was my AAS degree in my chosen medical profession, then finally my BSc. So, while your statement about the general cohort that obtains GEDs "might" have some merit, to say it's nothing to brag about.......doesn't. IMHO.
Old Jun 22nd 2013, 10:48 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Melly
GEDs seem mostly to be obtained by high school dropouts and convicts, so "IMHO, having a GED is not much to brag about. ...."

IMHO, I disagree! When someone asks me my immigration story, I'm proud to include my educational journey, starting with obtaining my GED (in my 30s). After leaving school in the UK at 15.5, I headed straight to the factory floor. I sensed greater aspirations within myself, but it wasn't until I'd been living & working in the US for about 15yrs that I decided to do something about them. The first step was my GED, which I was very proud to complete (I had nothing to show for my UK education). Next was my AAS degree in my chosen medical profession, then finally my BSc. So, while your statement about the general cohort that obtains GEDs "might" have some merit, to say it's nothing to brag about.......doesn't. IMHO.
I am pleased that the GED worked for you. You are the exception that proves the rule.
Old Jun 23rd 2013, 1:07 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I am pleased that the GED worked for you. You are the exception that proves the rule.
I had not noticed, but yes, Melly would be considered a high school drop-out.

(GED's are an important second chance as Melly demonstrates.)

Last edited by kimilseung; Jun 23rd 2013 at 1:10 am.
Old Jun 23rd 2013, 10:47 pm
Forum Regular

Melly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by kimilseung
I had not noticed, but yes, Melly would be considered a high school drop-out.

(GED's are an important second chance as Melly demonstrates.)
Actually, I'm not a high school drop out (as in the definition of "quitting"), as I completed all the required UK time. I was 15.5yrs old upon leaving because we left in May, and I didn't turn 16 until August. Unless you stay on to the 6th form, this is the normal time frame (started around 4-5yrs old through 16). It wasn't until I applied to university (the first time) and had to send for my transcripts, that it hit home just how poorly I did. I knew I'd pretty much messed around and I didn't really like school.......that much, but it was quite a shock to see those grades on paper!! Anyway, being around my American friends & colleagues that were the same age, yet making "tons" more money because they had degrees, made me shape up. Getting my GED was a turning point, and it got me back into the books! My American husband was also a great influence, as he basically told me I needed to get more education if I wanted to realize my aspirations!
Old Jun 23rd 2013, 11:57 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, I'm not a high school drop out
Not in UK definition no, but we don't really have the concept, but I think you are in the US definition. Although it becomes a bit reduntant once you get a degree.
Old Jun 25th 2013, 10:20 am
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
If you have A levels you're already ahead of a high school diploma/ GED.
GEDs seem mostly to be obtained by high school dropouts and convicts, so IMHO, having a GED is not much to brag about. .... And I don't think that you can get a high school diploma after you have left high school.
...........which is what a GED is for.
Old Jun 25th 2013, 10:24 am
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

Been there, done all that.
Down a "different street" though.
1,000 karma points to you.
Old Jun 25th 2013, 5:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

NatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond repute

If you have A levels, you can count these towards an Associates or Bachelors degree. You will need to use a transcript assessor such as ECE.org (each college has their own approved list of assessors they will accept assessments from). I also transferred in some Open University credits. I'm currently working towards a degree and am testing out of most subjects using CLEP, DSST and Straighterline, I'm hoping that my final degree cost will be around 7k. There's a really useful forum on degreeinfo.net which has lots of information on cheap, quick and easy ways to get college credits.

PMP is highly regarded here and should be accepted for college credit, killing 2 birds with one stone. The college I plan to get my degree from gives you 9 credits for the PMP and (they think) 3 credits for the CAPM. If you do go for your PMP or CAPM, be aware that the exam changes in July so make sure you study from the most current version of the PMBOK (think V5 will be valid from July onwards?)
Old Jun 25th 2013, 10:38 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Xebedee
...........which is what a GED is for.
I understand that, but experience here on BE is that anyone who states an absolute fact invites input from others who know of rare or obscure counter-examples. I was just leaving the door cracked for that possibility.
Old Jun 25th 2013, 11:38 pm
Forum Regular

Not in UK definition no, but we don't really have the concept, but I think you are in the US definition. Although it becomes a bit reduntant once you get a degree.
I'm curious why I would be a drop out, as opposed to someone that just didn't graduate based on getting a failing GPA. Drop out is quitting/leaving school, where as failing is putting in the time, but just not passing the class. I don't consider them to be interchangeable???
Old Jun 26th 2013, 1:41 am

I'm curious why I would be a drop out, as opposed to someone that just didn't graduate based on getting a failing GPA. Drop out is quitting/leaving school, where as failing is putting in the time, but just not passing the class. I don't consider them to be interchangeable???
As far as I can tell, in the US, anyone who doesn't avail themselves of the free education provided by law to everyone upto the age of 18, is considered to be a "dropout". Obviously it isn't quite the same in the UK as you can get GCSEs at age 16, so you leave with some measured degree of achievement. But you left at 15 1/2, and as you stated yourself, with no academic qualifications. Even in the UK, wouldn't that make you a drop out?
Old Jun 26th 2013, 2:42 am
He/him

We are dealing with two systems so we have to find the best fit. Leaving school before 18 is considered dropping out by those around me.

I left school at around 17, I started sixth form and stayed till I got a job. I would not dream of saying I dropped out to an employer, but I have said it when I have been working with youth and explaining that it is possible to return to study even after you leave school.

I play it to my best advantage, but in US terms it seems fair enough to say I (and you) dropped out.

Last edited by kimilseung; Jun 26th 2013 at 2:48 am.
Old Jun 26th 2013, 3:09 am
Forum Regular

We are dealing with two systems so we have to find the best fit. Leaving school before 18 is considered dropping out by those around me.

I left school at around 17, I started sixth form and stayed till I got a job. I would not dream of saying I dropped out to an employer, but I have said it when I have been working with youth and explaining that it is possible to return to study even after you leave school.

I play it to my best advantage, but in US terms it seems fair enough to say I (and you) dropped out.
Wow, if that is indeed the case, then all but maybe 10 (best guess) out of a couple of hundred kids from my year are drop outs (to use US standards)! Back in my day (30+ yrs ago) only the "A" students went onto 6th form. Most of us average kids, or somewhat below went into manufacturing, or apprenticeships. Well, I guess I will have to let my son know his Mum is a high school drop out But, I saw the light
Old Jun 26th 2013, 3:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, if that is indeed the case, then all but maybe 10 (best guess) out of a couple of hundred kids from my year are drop outs (to use US standards)! Back in my day (30+ yrs ago) only the "A" students went onto 6th form. Most of us average kids, or somewhat below went into manufacturing, or apprenticeships. Well, I guess I will have to let my son know his Mum is a high school drop out But, I saw the light
I suppose it's because of different leaving ages in the two countries.
Old Jun 26th 2013, 3:12 am
He/him

To confuse things more, half the kids you know who left school at the age you left, will probably have had a better education than many of those in America who stay till they are 18. It really is not apples for apples.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.