Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

GBP bank account for US-based people - HSBC Premier Checking?

GBP bank account for US-based people - HSBC Premier Checking?

Old Dec 3rd 2022, 2:52 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: GBP bank account for US-based people - HSBC Premier Checking?

Originally Posted by karenkaren1
our local HSBC branch closed and our accounts got changed to Citizens. Subsequently, we closed our accounts!
I am waiting for this to happen, already all set on the US side with a US bank, but what do you do in the UK? Did you keep your UK HSBC account, once the US premier gets cut? Just downgrade to a “regular” UK HSBC account or are they pulling out of the UK as well?

Old Dec 3rd 2022, 3:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tht
I am waiting for this to happen, already all set on the US side with a US bank, but what do you do in the UK? Did you keep your UK HSBC account, once the US premier gets cut? Just downgrade to a “regular” UK HSBC account or are they pulling out of the UK as well?
I am also set up with an alternative to HSBC US and if they switch me to Citizens then I will close the account and also not bother maintaining Premier status in the UK. Probably look at Chase UK which is what our daughter is using, it seems to be really good.
Old Dec 3rd 2022, 3:32 pm
tht

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by durham_lad
I am also set up with an alternative to HSBC US and if they switch me to Citizens then I will close the account and also not bother maintaining Premier status in the UK. Probably look at Chase UK which is what our daughter is using, it seems to be really good.
It looks like chase UK require UK Residence:
https://www.chase.co.uk/gb/en/suppor...tax-residence/

Need to find a bank that will service non UK residents…. Trying to avoid Channel Islands / IOM.. just want a vanilla UK current account.

Old Dec 3rd 2022, 3:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tht

Need to find a bank that will service non UK residents…. Trying to avoid Channel Islands / IOM.. just want a vanilla UK current account.
In that case hang onto your UK HSBC account, they are not going to exit the UK. Close lots of UK branches but they are not going to leave. We had our UK account for 37 years, never closed it when we went to the USA.
Old Dec 3rd 2022, 8:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

karenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tht
We opened HSBC US accounts originally when we moved to US because we bank with First Direct (subsidiary of HSBC) in the UK. The First Direct account is still active. I thought it was just US branches that were closing... my preferred US bank is now TD Bank.
Old Dec 3rd 2022, 9:26 pm
tht

We opened HSBC US accounts originally when we moved to US because we bank with First Direct (subsidiary of HSBC) in the UK. The First Direct account is still active. I thought it was just US branches that were closing... my preferred US bank is now TD Bank.
Yes, but I can see the next step being to close US resident UK account holders accounts. I have had mine since 1997 or so, I think it was Midland Bank then, but without the US Premier account linked will they want the increased cost of compliance for an account I only use once or twice a year to pay class 2 NIC or send small sums for things like wedding gifts to extended family.
Old Dec 3rd 2022, 9:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by tht
Yes, but I can see the next step being to close US resident UK account holders accounts. I have had mine since 1997 or so, I think it was Midland Bank then, but without the US Premier account linked will they want the increased cost of compliance for an account I only use once or twice a year to pay class 2 NIC or send small sums for things like wedding gifts to extended family.
Recently while our daughter was still living in the US she opened a Wise borderless account with a UK sort code and account number and sent money to my UK bank and paid a UK lawyer to do the conveyance required for a house she is buying here. She also paid a UK surveyor using her Wise account. I would expect you could also pay NI contributions with a Wise account, which also comes with a UK debit card. Costs nothing to set up now and try in readiness should you lose your UK HSBC account.

This is what I have done in reverse, setting up a Wise account denominated in USD with US bank routing number and account number and have it linked to my financial account from which I have transferred money several times in case US HSBC closes my account.

Last edited by durham_lad; Dec 3rd 2022 at 9:45 pm.
Old Dec 3rd 2022, 10:07 pm
tht

Recently while our daughter was still living in the US she opened a Wise borderless account with a UK sort code and account number and sent money to my UK bank and paid a UK lawyer to do the conveyance required for a house she is buying here. She also paid a UK surveyor using her Wise account. I would expect you could also pay NI contributions with a Wise account, which also comes with a UK debit card. Costs nothing to set up now and try in readiness should you lose your UK HSBC account.

This is what I have done in reverse, setting up a Wise account denominated in USD with US bank routing number and account number and have it linked to my financial account from which I have transferred money several times in case US HSBC closes my account.
I have a UK/US setup with the Wise “money transmitter”, what I like to maintain is a proper / insured bank account. I haves used services like Wise even for very large transfers (for companies) but would never maintain a balance with them.
Old Dec 4th 2022, 11:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by tht
I have a UK/US setup with the Wise “money transmitter”, what I like to maintain is a proper / insured bank account. I haves used services like Wise even for very large transfers (for companies) but would never maintain a balance with them.
You said that you only use it once or twice a year to pay a bill or buy a gift. It doesn’t sound like it would be much of an inconvenience if your bank account was closed and you get another one.
Old Dec 4th 2022, 12:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

tdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond repute

HSBC may not close your UK account, so you may be trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist. But if they do, finding a "proper" bank / building society replacement may be difficult because every one I've looked at says you need to be a UK national to open an account (there may be some that do allow this that I'm unaware of). In this case, a Wise (or similar) account may be your only option, and would appear suitable for your usage of making a few annual payments but not maintaining a large balance.
Old Dec 17th 2022, 3:35 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tht

This was a problem for me for awhile, but eventually my HSBC Premier USA office was able to 'vouch' for me in setting up an HSBC Premier UK account. They were able to sign off on the 'know your customer' requirements with the support of the US office.
Old Dec 17th 2022, 7:09 pm
tht

Originally Posted by penguinsix
This was a problem for me for awhile, but eventually my HSBC Premier USA office was able to 'vouch' for me in setting up an HSBC Premier UK account. They were able to sign off on the 'know your customer' requirements with the support of the US office.
I already have the linked HSBC UK and US accounts… was trying to think ahead in case the US closes accounts and then have the UK one shut down on the back of that…

That said, it looks like HSBC is either doubling down on HNW clients in the US, or trying for higher balances to get a better sale price….. Got an email las week to say they have a new tier above Premier…

Premier Elite…. To qualify for 1Y you need a relationship balance of US$ 1m for 2 consecutive months in US accounts… looks like the main benefit is a dedicated relationship manager… which is what you used to have with Premier anyway, so all they have done is made the qualification requirements higher….
Old Jan 1st 2023, 6:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tdrinker
HSBC has just announced 114 branch closures in the UK next year.
our local HSBC branch closed and our accounts got changed to Citizens. ...
I am also set up with an alternative to HSBC US and if they switch me to Citizens then I will close the account ....
In that case hang onto your UK HSBC account, they are not going to exit the UK. Close lots of UK branches but they are not going to leave. ...
I'm confused. If HSBC close a specific branch in the UK, are the accounts 'housed' / 'based' at that branch transferred to Citizens? Do they offer to transfer the account to another HSBC branch in another location instead? I don't care where my HSBC account is located, as long as I can access it online and pay HMRC in GBP. What I want to avoid is the painful initial setup process of the 'app' on the phone, which I did 'in person' while I was there in 2019 (as an aside, I was successful in switching the HSBC app over to my US phone, because keeping a UK 'payg' number from expiring was next to impossible).

The account I have is the most basic HSBC account ('BNL' - Bank Account No Lending), no cheque book, with a 'brick and mortar' HSBC branch in Yorkshire, which I opened in 2019 to hold about 5,000 GBP for no other purpose than to pay future annual NIC payments, and random gifts. So far I'm averaging one transaction a year. I tried to set up an account with every bank I could find (Loyds, Barclays, NatWest, etc) but none would allow it, due to my not having a UK residence / not being a resident.

I only have a few years more to go with my NIC payments to complete the 'catch up', and the amount is only about 160 GBP per year, so I don't need much! I guess my options are:
  1. hope that HSBC don't close my branch, or if they do, that they transfer me to another HSBC branch
  2. hope that, if I do get transferred to Citizens, that the old HSBC app continues to work (fat chance!) or that citizen's 'app' is easier to use (and hope they don't ditch me as a non-resident) and can be set up without visiting a brick-and-mortar branch.
  3. Get myself a 'Wise Borderless Account'. Can I get one, as a non-UK resident who has no plans to visit UK in person in the near future?

As a matter of interest, Barclays did offer to give me an account, but it was an IOM offshore type, and had high maintenance fees IIRC. They also took MONTHS to approve the application, while HSBC took me on the spot.
Old Jan 1st 2023, 6:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I'm confused. If HSBC close a specific branch in the UK, are the accounts 'housed' / 'based' at that branch transferred to Citizens? Do they offer to transfer the account to another HSBC branch in another location instead? I don't care where my HSBC account is located, as long as I can access it online and pay HMRC in GBP. What I want to avoid is the painful initial setup process of the 'app' on the phone, which I did 'in person' while I was there in 2019 (as an aside, I was successful in switching the HSBC app over to my US phone, because keeping a UK 'payg' number from expiring was next to impossible).

The account I have is the most basic HSBC account ('BNL' - Bank Account No Lending), no cheque book, with a 'brick and mortar' HSBC branch in Yorkshire, which I opened in 2019 to hold about 5,000 GBP for no other purpose than to pay future annual NIC payments, and random gifts. So far I'm averaging one transaction a year. I tried to set up an account with every bank I could find (Loyds, Barclays, NatWest, etc) but none would allow it, due to my not having a UK residence / not being a resident.

To answer your question about a Wise account, yes you can open a Wise account with no UK address and no intention of ever having a UK address.

I only have a few years more to go with my NIC payments to complete the 'catch up', and the amount is only about 160 GBP per year, so I don't need much! I guess my options are:
  1. hope that HSBC don't close my branch, or if they do, that they transfer me to another HSBC branch
  2. hope that, if I do get transferred to Citizens, that the old HSBC app continues to work (fat chance!) or that citizen's 'app' is easier to use (and hope they don't ditch me as a non-resident) and can be set up without visiting a brick-and-mortar branch.
  3. Get myself a 'Wise Borderless Account'. Can I get one, as a non-UK resident who has no plans to visit UK in person in the near future?

As a matter of interest, Barclays did offer to give me an account, but it was an IOM offshore type, and had high maintenance fees IIRC. They also took MONTHS to approve the application, while HSBC took me on the spot.

Never heard of HSBC UK transferring UK accounts anywhere regardless of branch closures. It is only HSBC USA that decided a year or 2 ago to focus only on high value clients and began transferring non-Premier account holders to Citizens Bank. If you don’t have an HSBC USA account you have nothing to be concerned about.

In the UK, HSBC closing branches has zero effect on the branch account holders. That happened to us a few years ago. The only noticeable difference was physical access to a branch which is rare for us these days anyway. Account numbers and sort codes don’t change if your particular branch closes, the HSBC app does not change at all.

As for opening a Wise account, you don’t need a UK address or have any intention to ever have a UK address,

Last edited by durham_lad; Jan 1st 2023 at 7:00 pm.
Old Jan 1st 2023, 7:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Never heard of HSBC UK transferring UK accounts anywhere regardless of branch closures. It is only HSBC USA that decided a year or 2 ago to focus only on high value clients and began transferring non-Premier account holders to Citizens Bank. If you don’t have an HSBC USA account you have nothing to be concerned about.

In the UK, HSBC closing branches has zero effect on the branch account holders. That happened to us a few years ago. The only noticeable difference was physical access to a branch which is rare for us these days anyway. Account numbers and sort codes don’t change if your particular branch closes, the HSBC app does not change at all.

As for opening a Wise account, you don’t need a UK address or have any intention to ever have a UK address,
Ah, OK - so 'tdrinker's branch closings were UK based, while 'karenkaren1's move to Citizens was a US issue; no direct link. Got it. So as a UK HSBC account holder I should remain unaffected, even if they close my branch. Very good!

So Wise are willing to do what most of the other banks are not willing to do - allow non-UK residents to open an account to house GBP. How come Wise are open to this while every other bank is not? Just curious!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.