Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Gay book controversy in my town

Gay book controversy in my town

Old Mar 29th 2004, 3:19 am
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Gay book controversy in my town

Has anyone seen this story. A controversial book about a prince who finds his perfect mate in another prince has been banned from a library in NC, actually just banned from children taking it out. This has been going on for about week in our local papers, the town seems to have been going crazy and wanting the book banned completly, I think that the school was very forward thinking in only banning children from taking the book and not burning the book in some sort of Nazi party style ritual.

Personally I don't like censorship of any kind. I also think that by ignoring homosexuality it will not go away, this people have to accept it. Ignorance is bliss didn't work for the Holocaust, Darwins Theory of Evolution and discrimination, why should it work with homosexuality, surely education is better than is ignorance.

Patrick
Old Mar 29th 2004, 4:18 am
Forum Regular

ejay1 will become famous soon enough

You have to understand that this is what happens in the south. People are more conservative in the southeast of the US, talking about gay people and race is taboo here.
Old Mar 29th 2004, 4:47 am
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

I certainly thought that there was an element of overreaction, and ignorance is rife everywhere, however, I do respect the parents right to choose. The whole issue of sex education is a difficult one, and it does depend hugely on the age group of the children. I'm not familiar with the American school system and don't know how old first graders are, but I get the impression this book was aimed at young children, maybe around 7-8? I think the idea of the story is quite quaint, but maybe the children are a little young to understand the implications of sex and sexuality. It's not a graphic novel of sex and debauchery, just a sweet little story about princes falling in love, but of course the implications are wider than that.

I am all for educating children to be open-minded, but I don't think having books available to young kids will do us any favors. It's too touchy a subject. However, once kids get to their teens then there is definite need for them to be educated in the fact that gay people exist. After all, many of them are already struggling with their own sexuality, as I was from around the age of 12 onwards. I would have loved there to have been some books available to me, and I really had to seek them out. It was difficult to find them. I have always been aware of sex from a young age and feel that I grew up with a broad-minded approach to it. If a kid is told it's bad and dirty then they will grow up repressed. Sexuality and gay issues are a part of that, as I don't think kids should be taught that there is only one type of sex. it should include the whole spectrum, but we should agree an age at which that is appropriate.
Old Mar 29th 2004, 4:57 am
Winter hyphenator

monster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud of

We found this at our library about six months ago. Our sprogs loved it -it's a very funny book. But they are too young (6, 4, and 2) to realise it's not "normal". Hurrah for that I say.

Should it be banned? Only from the parents, I reckon.
Old Mar 29th 2004, 1:38 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

The US purports to embrace diversity and tolerance (at least through the medium of film and TV, e.g. entertainment) so if it does so through fiction, I think it's kind of hypocritical that its citizens shy away from aspects of sexuality.

Citizens, both adults and children have to understand that there's more to sexuality than just heterosexuality. The book in question shouldn't be banned IMHO. Children should be able to read this book but parents should have a choice about whether their child reads it.

I find it completely ironic that children in the US can play computer games containing graphic violence and sexuality as well as see this on TV and in films. It might be that some parents think their children would become "gay" after reading the "King and King" book. Those parents might do better to keep an eye on the aforementioned computer games, TV programs and films their children play and watch.
Old Mar 29th 2004, 6:20 pm
British Trailer Trash

jaybob is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't want homosexual themes introduced to my children. I would not be comfortable with that book in my childrens school. I don't want a homosexual precedence to be set, especially when it could appear as though it is an attempt by the gay lobby to influence children. When my children reach their teenage years they will have to make some informed decisions and I will have to accept those decisions. I would rather my children were hetrosexual, because of my own version of morality. However if they turn out not to be so, so be it, who they choose to sleep with is only one small part of their being. When children are teenagers they should be able to gain access to information to make their own informed decisions.In particular I do not want my children being taught about the morals of homosexuality at school. If that means that the morals of hetrosexuality are not discussed to ensure equality, fine.
Old Mar 29th 2004, 6:49 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

If we assume the stance that "People don't choose to be gay" Then surely it wouldn't make a toss of difference what kids read?
Old Mar 29th 2004, 7:00 pm
British Trailer Trash

jaybob is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by manc1976
If we assume the stance that "People don't choose to be gay" Then surely it wouldn't make a toss of difference what kids read?
Exactly, I am not of the 'born that way' school of thought. In most cases I think it is a mixture of biology and environment. So to me it does make a difference.
Old Mar 29th 2004, 7:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ejay1
You have to understand that this is what happens in the south. People are more conservative in the southeast of the US, talking about gay people and race is taboo here.
You should move to TX, gee a new level of backwardness.
Old Mar 29th 2004, 9:24 pm
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by jaybob
I don't want homosexual themes introduced to my children. I would not be comfortable with that book in my childrens school. I don't want a homosexual precedence to be set, especially when it could appear as though it is an attempt by the gay lobby to influence children. When my children reach their teenage years they will have to make some informed decisions and I will have to accept those decisions. I would rather my children were hetrosexual, because of my own version of morality. However if they turn out not to be so, so be it, who they choose to sleep with is only one small part of their being. When children are teenagers they should be able to gain access to information to make their own informed decisions.In particular I do not want my children being taught about the morals of homosexuality at school. If that means that the morals of hetrosexuality are not discussed to ensure equality, fine.
What is a "gay lobby" out of interest? Am I a lobby or a hall? I always wondered that. Isn't it more likely that the book is a product of a single progressive author trying to change dinosaur views like yours? So, do you do think that a story involving a princess falling for a prince is an attempt to influence children by the heterosexual lobby? And if so then why aren't I straight, because I read all those books when I was a child. Thank you, but I don't need your kind of morality.
Old Mar 29th 2004, 11:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute

I would be quite happy for my children to read this book. I try very hard to make sure they have a balanced upbringing, by showing our youngsters that being homosexual is as natural as being heterosexual we can have some hope that in the future our homosexual population will be able to live thier lives as any other heterosexual couple might. If we dont teach our children understanding now the hate and prejudice will never end.

Jan
Old Mar 30th 2004, 1:12 am
Forum Regular

suzieque is an unknown quantity at this point

I think it is a difficult one. I always talked to my daughter about everything (she's 9 now) and this is the sort of thing I would have read with her to help explain things with her but a little older it would just be looked at and giggled at I think. I do find having only lived in the South that US are a lot more conservative than us. I try to bring my daughter up with a liberal mind, but it is a lot harder for my husband (a yank) but after he has lived a few years in UK he is much better now.... I just hope now we are back here this stays.
Old Mar 30th 2004, 2:07 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly, I am not of the 'born that way' school of thought. In most cases I think it is a mixture of biology and environment. So to me it does make a difference.
So what would it take for you to become gay then?
Old Mar 30th 2004, 2:31 am
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

You're bringing back the childhood memories of my Dad quite distinctly saying "Bludy 'ell our Agnes, I does 'ope wun of our big strapping sons grows up t'be a ****ing fairy and have big dicks shove up his arse, just like me Grandfaver and his Grandfaver before him". Yes I fondly remember my Lancashire, rugby playing, smoking, drinking, fighting Father nurturing my brother towards a gay lifestyle to fulfill the family tradition. Your right, my brother wasn't born gay, my proud father guided him, instead of taking him to the working mens club, like he did me and my other straight brother, he would take my older brother to gay bars. Michael always got the extra savaloy.

At what point in gay peoples lifes are they nurtured towards homosexuality. How the hell does that work? I spent my entire youth playing football and then joined the army at 16, I spent my entire time during puberty and most of my early adult hood showering with other men. I do not have any gay tendencies what so ever yet I have seen more naked men in my life than naked women (and I have had the internet for 10 years!). I, on the other hand, have a gay brother - he was in every school play growing up, hated any sports and for all intense and purposes was a girl (except the penis bit). It is widely accepted that gay men are born with a fragile Y chromosome and gay women are born with a fragile X.

It must be spring, heres the first cuckoo!

Patrick

FYI, My Dad thinks that my brothers gayness is some kind of illness and that one day they will find a cure and he will be "normal" again. He's almost as ****ing insane as you!

Last edited by Patrick; Mar 30th 2004 at 2:37 am.
Old Mar 30th 2004, 2:45 am
Howling at the Moon

lairdside will become famous soon enoughlairdside will become famous soon enough

Sociological influences can create psychologically "confused" people, NOT homosexual people.

If their general confusion causes them to have issues with their percieved sexuality (I have seen this in sexual abuse cases in particular) it is a manifestation of their psychological confusion, not genuine sexual orientation.

The two IMHO have NOTHING in common.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.