Reload this Page >

Gated Communities - Austin, TX

Gated Communities - Austin, TX

Old Mar 3rd 2014, 6:05 pm
Forum Regular

jamm13dodger is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Gated Communities - Austin, TX

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz
We are gated too, and although it is true that people can tailgate through on the whole I prefer it. There is no through traffic so it is much quieter than the other side of the development. We have had a couple of incidents of crime but not as much as the other side or the graffiti (mail boxes etc) that they have had in non gated or crimes of opportunity - theft of wheels caps and other minor things. The lots were also bigger in the gated section which was one of our main reasons for buying here.
Not sure Austin and Houston are comparable in this though. From what we saw in Austin (and what I've read) the gated bit refers to a gate which is not guarded or even closed most of the time. Not absolutely sure on this but it is what I saw.

Rob
Old Mar 3rd 2014, 6:16 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jamm13dodger
Not sure Austin and Houston are comparable in this though. From what we saw in Austin (and what I've read) the gated bit refers to a gate which is not guarded or even closed most of the time. Not absolutely sure on this but it is what I saw.

Rob

Ahh..but there is Houston and then there is ChocolateBabz's part of Houston. Once you are on Hwy288 going South the caliber of thieves and bad people is somewhat nicer Right ChocolateBabz??
Old Mar 3rd 2014, 6:22 pm
Just Joined

Brit_Girl is an unknown quantity at this point

We've just spent a week in Austin checking the place out in anticipation of a job offer there.

I've also spent hours on the Austin City Forums page reading about a lot of the different areas.

One of the comments that sticks with me is that the gated communities we saw are not really "gated". They do indeed have a gate, but it is often left open and they do not have much in the way of security.

This was reinforced most clearly when we popped into one to check out the last house available in the new development. I drove straight through the gate with no challenge and saw no security to speak off once into the development. We spent quite a long time driving round as we couldn't find the house at first.

The other thing you asked is about it being within 1/2 an hour of the airport. can I ask why? The one thing we were painfully aware of was the rush hour traffic. It turned what should have been a 25 minute journey one day into >2hrs. There was no real problem, just sheer weight of traffic. Can you tell me where you would be commuting to as that would help narrow down the areas I could suggest.

Cheers, Rob.
My husband will be commuting to the airport frequently (not everyday though)...hence we need to be within a reasonable distance. Currently in LA his commute is approx 40 mins with not much traffic. Basically we don't mind living 40 mins away as long as there are additional routes if the freeway is chockablock! by that I mean side roads are ok.

I don't necessarily mind being in a gated community that doesn't have a guard...the current one I live in is that way and is sufficient. I like having an HOA too as I like the neighborhood looking nice.

Thanks for your insight.
Old Mar 3rd 2014, 6:24 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

Rob
We don't have a guard just a gate with remote access or number pad so yes it is a bit 'false sense of security' but still keeps the traffic down and the door to door salesmen out, which is just as well as I am too polite to tell them to sod off, I am more likely to invite them in for a cup of tea and a strawberry tart

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Ahh..but there is Houston and then there is ChocolateBabz's part of Houston. Once you are on Hwy288 going South the caliber of thieves and bad people is somewhat nicer Right ChocolateBabz??
Exactly they always leave a note to say 'Thank's y'all '
Old Mar 3rd 2014, 6:40 pm
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

Rob
That's what our gated rental in Katy was like - gate open during daylight hours.
Old Mar 3rd 2014, 7:20 pm
Forum Regular

jamm13dodger is an unknown quantity at this point

The main problem I think you will have is that the airport is south east. The gated communities seem to be concentrated to the West. You might want to think about somewhere like Circle C or Steiner Ranch if you like Suburbia. There is a real lack of rentals but at your price point you should be able to find something no problem. Buda or Manchaca looked nice if you prefer more spread out but we didn't see any Gated communities out that way and the schools were much worse rated.
Old Mar 3rd 2014, 8:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

They do indeed have a gate, but it is often left open and they do not have much in the way of security.
Hehe, yeah there's a long list of people who know the code. The UPS guy, the pizza guy, the lawn guy, the pool guy... Then someone puts up a post-it note with the "party code"... Then most people pick a number based on the year their kids were born...