Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Gasoline Prices

Gasoline Prices

Old May 16th 2008, 8:13 pm
Just Joined

paddy_cooper is just really nicepaddy_cooper is just really nicepaddy_cooper is just really nicepaddy_cooper is just really nicepaddy_cooper is just really nicepaddy_cooper is just really nicepaddy_cooper is just really nicepaddy_cooper is just really nice
Exclamation Gasoline Prices

I do not understand why Americans are complaining about gasoline prices.Back in the UK people are paying more than 5 times what they pay here. In the UK they have been paying much more to fill their tanks for many years. There are too many SUV's and pick_up trucks.
I know the arguement that the need for gas is greater in that you have to use a car to get anywhere but if the adequate rail service had not been dismantled so completely perhaps the effect of oil prices would have been largely negated!
Old May 16th 2008, 8:23 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gasoline Prices

You've been living in the US for 7 years.
You've experienced gasoline at $1.30 a gallon or less.
Your price today is $4 per gallon.

You don't have a complaint?
Old May 16th 2008, 8:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddy_cooper
Back in the UK people are paying more than 5 times what they pay here.
???
Old May 16th 2008, 8:37 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

I do not understand why Americans are complaining about gasoline prices.Back in the UK people are paying more than 5 times what they pay here. In the UK they have been paying much more to fill their tanks for many years. There are too many SUV's and pick_up trucks.
I know the arguement that the need for gas is greater in that you have to use a car to get anywhere but if the adequate rail service had not been dismantled so completely perhaps the effect of oil prices would have been largely negated!
Average US price $3.78/gallon
Average UK price $8.33/gallon (GBP112.6/litre)

UK is only 2.2 times more expensive on the price of fuel

UK average MPG is 31mpg combined cycle (37mpg UK gallons)
US average MPG is 21 mpg (not sure if all trucks/SUVs in this)

As the US tends to have far larger engines than actually needed plus auto transmissions, the cost per mile between the two countries is closer

US = 18 c/mile
UK = 27 c/mile

per mile driven, the UK is 1.5 times more expensive.

I suspect US citizens are complaining because its all relative, they have grown up with super cheap gas and its only in the last 4 years that prices have rapidly increased.
Old May 16th 2008, 8:45 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

I do not understand why Americans are complaining about gasoline prices.Back in the UK people are paying more than 5 times what they pay here. In the UK they have been paying much more to fill their tanks for many years. :
I don't live in the UK.

There are too many SUV's and pick_up trucks.:
This always gets me... Why is always SUVs and pickups that are the object of derision? Large, older and some luxury cars get equal or worse mileage but people always complain about the trucks. I think some "environmentally conscious" types equate trucks and SUVs with people who they find objectionable in other ways. They view the vehicle as kind of an easy identifier.

Why was the rail service dismantled? I believe it was because because gas was so cheap and driving so convenient that people chose to drive instead of take the train. Less passengers = less trains. But that's just my guess, maybe someone with facts can tell me the real reason.
Old May 16th 2008, 9:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank

This always gets me... Why is always SUVs and pickups that are the object of derision?

Maybe because the best selling vehicle in the US for donkeys years (25 or more I think) is the Ford F-Series truck which gets (current model) 13-14/17-20 MPG depending on the type.
Old May 16th 2008, 9:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

I do not understand why Americans are complaining about gasoline prices.
Must be the Britishness rubbing off from all the expats on the locals...
Old May 16th 2008, 9:17 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Why was the rail service dismantled? I believe it was because because gas was so cheap and driving so convenient that people chose to drive instead of take the train. Less passengers = less trains. But that's just my guess, maybe someone with facts can tell me the real reason.
That's probably true for some places, but in LA and other cities, many believe public transport was destroyed as the result of a conspiracy by GM and other car industry companies. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_A...eetcar_Scandal
Old May 16th 2008, 9:21 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
Maybe because the best selling vehicle in the US for donkeys years (25 or more I think) is the Ford F-Series truck which gets (current model) 13-14/17-20 MPG depending on the type.
Best selling vehicle or best selling truck?
Old May 16th 2008, 9:40 pm
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

I don't live in the UK.

This always gets me... Why is always SUVs and pickups that are the object of derision? Large, older and some luxury cars get equal or worse mileage but people always complain about the trucks. I think some "environmentally conscious" types equate trucks and SUVs with people who they find objectionable in other ways. They view the vehicle as kind of an easy identifier.
I agree with you. (as usual , mostly)
Old May 16th 2008, 9:45 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi:

BTW, it was not the "trains" that went away, it was what is now called "light rail" service.
See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General...car_conspiracy
Old May 16th 2008, 10:25 pm
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

I do not understand why Americans are complaining about gasoline prices..
imo; mostly because its the backbone of life and the economy here and if you look at the proportionate disposable income spent on gas, its obviously increasing and its not something one has been accustomed to and it is squeezing people. There are people who are spending more on filling up their tank than on groceries. In general, since wages have been stagnant, it amplifies the problems many people and households face.

One facet though, is that noone really is inclined to really look upon themselves to change their lifestyle and pattern... "as long as I can afford it, I will continue to live the way I do.." Then again, a gradual shuffle of priorities and allocation of money is happening.

The knock on effects of increasing fuel costs is a constant spiral... (set aside inflation) you think that the housing market is in the toilet in many places ... utility costs will very soon have a significant impact on the housing market as both affordability and qualification is rapidly deteriorating... best I can tell, there hasn't been much discussion about correlation of energy and housing.
Old May 16th 2008, 10:42 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Back in the UK people are paying more than 5 times what they pay here.
As noted elsewhere on this thread, the price in the UK would have to more than double in order for that to be accurate.
Old May 16th 2008, 11:35 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

cost of insurance is more pricey over here too, so cost of running a car really does level out........
Old May 17th 2008, 12:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

I I know the arguement that the need for gas is greater in that you have to use a car to get anywhere but if the adequate rail service had not been dismantled so completely perhaps the effect of oil prices would have been largely negated!
Errr, what rail service?? The city I grew up in never had one, and still doesn't. Rail doesn't do rural folks any good at all. Given the distances that would need to be covered in the US, rail service for rural areas (or outlying city counties) would not be that cheap because of the cost of building it.

And rail service doesn't do a lot of good to get into the city if there isn't adequate bus service to get you from from the station to your job. This infrastructure will take years to get built, so the increasing price of gasoline will slow this economy considerably (which won't be so good employment rates).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.